Electives at higher rank med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am an IMG. Please guide me if there is any extra benefit of doing electives from medical schools like Yale, Mayo or any other of higher rankings. As most of these institutes charge a lot of money. So is it worthful to spend so much?

Members don't see this ad.

If you’re gunning for residencies in certain places in competitive fields, probably. Connections are so key.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it depends. Even if you would like a residency in a place in a competitive fields as mentioned above- it does not mean the professor you sign up for at Mayo or Yale will have any kind of pull, especially if it's just an elective. It would be an online class I am guessing- so how much time is this professor actually going to interact with you and speak with you to speak on your character if the end goal is to obtain a residency? My suggestion would be to do some research on the professors teaching the elective first to see what the situation is on them..

If youre interested in getting a competitive residency network with the people directly in charge. Go to conferences, reach out through email about literature published, create a direct conversation... I am all about minimizing the crushing debt one accrues after med school if at all possible. :)

I would say it depends. Even if you would like a residency in a place in a competitive fields as mentioned above- it does not mean the professor you sign up for at Mayo or Yale will have any kind of pull, especially if it's just an elective. It would be an online class I am guessing- so how much time is this professor actually going to interact with you and speak with you to speak on your character if the end goal is to obtain a residency? My suggestion would be to do some research on the professors teaching the elective first to see what the situation is on them..

If youre interested in getting a competitive residency network with the people directly in charge. Go to conferences, reach out through email about literature published, create a direct conversation... I am all about minimizing the crushing debt one accrues after med school if at all possible. :)
Thank you so much

Having a similar issue to the original poster. I am a UK student, keen on OBGYN, and have the choice between 2 months of electives at Houston McGovern (Hermann Memorial & LBJ), or 1 month at Cleveland Clinic (Hillcrest). Do people feel like its better to go for the 1 month at a higher ranked hospital with (potentially) more connections/weight, than 2 months at a less well-known hospital, but doubling the USCE time & LOR opportunities? As above, if the choice was Houston or Cleveland then going by rep alone you'd pick Cleveland - but its 2 months at Houston.