Anesthesia application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasyboi117

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a US DO student with step 1 pass, and a step 2 247. Two honors during my core rotations the rest are high pass. I have been a part of 6-7 presentations and one non-peer-reviewed book chapter during my time at medical school.

2 of these presentations are directly involved in the field of anesthesia with 2 new oral presentations being presented by the end of the year.

Decent volunteering but only one volunteering event that was consistent. The rest of my volunteer experiences were one event a year situations that I didn’t put on my résumé, but earned me recognition from my school. No major red flags.

Currently have 2 aways, one at a community program and another at a mid-tier academic program

What programs should I apply to/signal? Should I apply to mid-tier/low-tier academic and community programs? I know that my DO status hurts me but I feel that the rest of my application is sufficient. I am trying to maximize my chances.

I feel that I am a pretty average applicant. How do I make myself stand out?

Members don't see this ad.

Anesthesia has been very tough for DOs past few cycles. I would apply low tier community + backup specialty

Reactions: 1 users
I would apply as broadly as possible, purely to maximize chances. Anything mid tier and above is a reach but it’s just more money to apply and see what happens. Your target should be low tier and communiversity programs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply as broadly as possible, purely to maximize chances. Anything mid tier and above is a reach but it’s just more money to apply and see what happens. Your target should be low tier and communiversity programs
Should I use doximity rankings to organize my list?

I matched anesthesiology last year as a DO at a mid tier academic institution. 241 step 2 for me and zero research.

Your application is good from scores/research standpoint. More importantly, try to leverage your ERAS app, signals, and aways as much as you can.

For example, I'm nontraditional with several unique experiences before med school, which I leaned into heavily on my ERAS app to have a way of "standing out."

I heard signals have changed this year, but last year, we only had 5. I used my signals in a tiered system: 2 reach programs, 2 programs that I was competitive with on residencyexplorer, and 1 "safety" program. I signaled 3 programs that I already had aways set up at, and would recommend not doing that. Away rotations are 90% of the time automatically guaranteed to interview you, but I have heard of some programs that don't automatically grant away rotators an interview. Be sure to use the geographic signals too as I chose "no preference," which I think limited the amount of interviews.

I did 5 aways last audition season and worked my ass off. Show up early, set the room up, help set monitors on patients, anticipate what the resident you're working with might need soon. Overall try and make the resident's life easier and don't be obnoxious/insufferable.

Good luck. Last year was a bloodbath with a 48% match rate for DOs in anesthesia. Not to scare you away, but always good to have a backup plan.

I matched anesthesiology last year as a DO at a mid tier academic institution. 241 step 2 for me and zero research.

Your application is good from scores/research standpoint. More importantly, try to leverage your ERAS app, signals, and aways as much as you can.

For example, I'm nontraditional with several unique experiences before med school, which I leaned into heavily on my ERAS app to have a way of "standing out."

I heard signals have changed this year, but last year, we only had 5. I used my signals in a tiered system: 2 reach programs, 2 programs that I was competitive with on residencyexplorer, and 1 "safety" program. I signaled 3 programs that I already had aways set up at, and would recommend not doing that. Away rotations are 90% of the time automatically guaranteed to interview you, but I have heard of some programs that don't automatically grant away rotators an interview. Be sure to use the geographic signals too as I chose "no preference," which I think limited the amount of interviews.

I did 5 aways last audition season and worked my ass off. Show up early, set the room up, help set monitors on patients, anticipate what the resident you're working with might need soon. Overall try and make the resident's life easier and don't be obnoxious/insufferable.

Good luck. Last year was a bloodbath with a 48% match rate for DOs in anesthesia. Not to scare you away, but always good to have a backup plan.
48% for DO’s? Holy ****. I’m glad I graduated 5 years ago

Isn't that number for all applicants, including people who may have applied as a backup but matched into their preferred specialty?

2024 match will see an additional 900 applicants from the new DO and MD schools graduating their firs class. More people will be avoiding EM. The anesthesiology match rate will be in the low 50's is my estimate. The median Step 2 for anesthesiology match in 2022 was 247. I think it will be definitely higher in 2024 because the focus is now on S2. An S2 of 247 will be below average for Anesthesiology in 2024.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 7.58.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-14 at 7.58.01 PM.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 119
2024 match will see an additional 900 applicants from the new DO and MD schools graduating their firs class. More people will be avoiding EM. The anesthesiology match rate will be in the low 50's is my estimate. The median Step 2 for anesthesiology match in 2022 was 247. I think it will be definitely higher in 2024 because the focus is now on S2. An S2 of 247 will be below average for Anesthesiology in 2024.
Yes I believe the new step 2 average will be in the low 250's. Research will never be a big component to anesthesia, but of course it looks good if you have it. The big things going forward will be aways and signals. I rotated at a top university program and the PD said they will only interview those who signal their program. They also said that many other programs have intentions of doing the same. Maybe the days of applying to 50+ programs will be over since we only have 15 signals. Make sure you use your signals appropriately to programs you believe you are competitive for.

For anyone curious I have done fairly well. I strongly considered everyone's advice about strategic signaling. I have gotten a good amount of mid to low-tier university invites and some community

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone curious I have done fairly well. I strongly considered everyone's advice about strategic signaling. I have gotten a good amount of mid to low-tier university invites and some community
Yup I knew you would!

Dang, Anesthesia has become really competitive again. I graduated 10 years ago. Every single person applying anesthesia matched somewhere from my class. 60 percent match rate is insane.

Reactions: 1 users
I officially matched! TY everyone, going to a good program so I am happy. I will say to all other medical students that aways are IMPORTANT. I matched at a program that I did an away at. I don't think I match without that good impression.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I officially matched! TY everyone, going to a good program so I am happy. I will say to all other medical students that aways are IMPORTANT. I matched at a program that I did an away at. I don't think I match without that good impression.
DM program ?

Aways certainly have value. I sat on the Anesthesia resident selection committee at our local Uni. I would always make the case to highly consider students who had rotated with us. Many who did, impressed us with their work ethic, their ability to accept instruction, and overall ability to get along. Scores had to be in the ballpark, but in the end it was my job to teach them, so those factors I considered very important.The OR is a small community, and the last thing you want to do is hire a problem for 4 years. Congrats on the Match!