Anesthesia Assistants in Maryland

Started by gagyekum
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Changing conditions of providers. Work/force balance (aka more women in the workforce). It’s true. Folks.

I hate to throw gender into the mix. I wish these guys who testify state the hard truth

But they need to just come out and say it. Women work less hours than men. The anesthesiologist may get flamed. But he should have backed up with stats.

The stats are real. One of the reasons for the shortage. If you have ever female anesthesiologist doing 1.5 fte like me on some weeks. We wouldn’t even need AAs.

My female colleague has been “part time” since age 38. She’s 48 now. That’s the big reason
 
Changing conditions of providers. Work/force balance (aka more women in the workforce). It’s true. Folks.

I hate to throw gender into the mix. I wish these guys who testify state the hard truth

But they need to just come out and say it. Women work less hours than men. The anesthesiologist may get flamed. But he should have backed up with stats.

The stats are real. One of the reasons for the shortage. If you have ever female anesthesiologist doing 1.5 fte like me on some weeks. We wouldn’t even need AAs.

My female colleague has been “part time” since age 38. She’s 48 now. That’s the big reason
Holy misogyny Batman. Was not expecting the thread to go this way
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Holy misogyny Batman. Was not expecting the thread to go this way
It’s not misogyny when I speak the cold hard truth.

Look at the data. Women anesthesiologists are 3x more likely to work part time often 35 hours or less than their male counterparts. 20-25% of female anesthesiologist work part time by age 40.

This contributes to the staffing shortage. And more women are in medical school than men. 25 years ago 20% of anesthesiologists were women. These days 40% of newer anesthesiologists under age 40 are anesthesiologists and considering 20-25% of them will work less the full time. It’s a problem to the work force.

Am I wrong?

Tell me where I’m wrong. I hate when people automatically say I’m being sexist.

I speak the truth. This is a big problem why we have staffing shortages. Work/life balance. Like I said. The guy testifying on the video above. He would be lynched by all you DEI supporters. This isn’t a DEI/misogyny statement I’m making. It’s a factual supported statements I make why we have staffing shortage

And this extend this discussion to AA legislation. Same exact scenario plays itself out. One of the places I work. 3 male AAs (under age 30) always work extra overtime. The 3 female AA (under age 30) never work extra. 2 of them are part time already. Can you imagine being part time before age 30?

So even if you hire AAs. The trends on who’s part time and who’s full time working extra are gonna to be roughly the same.

The staffing shortage we have in this country. Yes growing anesthesia demands especially out of or cases. An aging population. Those are all cited. No one wants to discuss the 800 pound gorilla.

More women in the anesthesia workforce.

No one can refute my statements because the data is out there.
 
If you have ever female anesthesiologist doing 1.5 fte like me on some weeks. We wouldn’t even need AAs.
This is the fallacy in your argument. If people need to work 1.5 FTE then it proves there is a shortage at that location.

Or, people are manipulating the system like you constantly highlight the W2 people do where you fill in 1099. Those lazy people need to step up and work more!
 
This is the fallacy in your argument. If people need to work 1.5 FTE then it proves there is a shortage at that location.

Or, people are manipulating the system like you constantly highlight the W2 people do where you fill in 1099. Those lazy people need to step up and work more!
You miss my point about women working less than full time and 40% of newer grads are less than age
40 are women anesthesiologists. And 25% of them are already part time. Those are the stats. Less available bodies.

It’s a numbers game why we have a staffing shortage. The Maryland anesthesiologist even mentioned it. And we are all up in arms to be careful and not just come out and say it. He’s extremely careful not to mention it

So am I speaking the truth ? More women docs in work force leads to anesthesiologist staffing shortages because 1/4 of them aren’t even working 30 hrs a week by age 40. No one wants admit it.

The truth pisses off a lot of people.

I don’t manipulate the system. You guys are fighting the wrong fight. It’s administration u need to fight. Paid hourly or average per hour wages that line up with with those who are paid hourly

The 42-44 week q4/5 beeper call model is dead. Unless it’s paying 700k plus 40 hrs a week inclusive of beeper call hours.
 
You miss my point about women working less than full time and 40% of newer grads are less than age
40 are women anesthesiologists. And 25% of them are already part time. Those are the stats. Less available bodies.

It’s a numbers game why we have a staffing shortage. The Maryland anesthesiologist even mentioned it. And we are all up in arms to be careful and not just come out and say it. He’s extremely careful not to mention it

So am I speaking the truth ? More women docs in work force leads to anesthesiologist staffing shortages because 1/4 of them aren’t even working 30 hrs a week by age 40. No one wants admit it.

The truth pisses off a lot of people.

I don’t manipulate the system. You guys are fighting the wrong fight. It’s administration u need to fight. Paid hourly or average per hour wages that line up with with those who are paid hourly

The 42-44 week q4/5 beeper call model is dead. Unless it’s paying 700k plus 40 hrs a week inclusive of beeper call hours.
In general women work less hours than men. It is just a fact. However this affects all specialties Medicine. All fields in fact. Women are more than 50% of the med students. It is only part of the problem. This aspect is unsolvable.
 
You miss my point about women working less than full time and 40% of newer grads are less than age
40 are women anesthesiologists. And 25% of them are already part time. Those are the stats. Less available bodies.

It’s a numbers game why we have a staffing shortage. The Maryland anesthesiologist even mentioned it. And we are all up in arms to be careful and not just come out and say it. He’s extremely careful not to mention it

So am I speaking the truth ? More women docs in work force leads to anesthesiologist staffing shortages because 1/4 of them aren’t even working 30 hrs a week by age 40. No one wants admit it.

The truth pisses off a lot of people.

I don’t manipulate the system. You guys are fighting the wrong fight. It’s administration u need to fight. Paid hourly or average per hour wages that line up with with those who are paid hourly

The 42-44 week q4/5 beeper call model is dead. Unless it’s paying 700k plus 40 hrs a week inclusive of beeper call hours.
Did you read what I wrote?

If a location needs people to work 1.5 FTE then they are not properly staffed.

And whose responsibility is staffing?

Management / administration.

I don’t disagree with the point that people don’t want to work full time. I was highlighting your claim that people should be willing to work 1.5 FTE.

F-that, I’m not a resident anymore. The $$$ has to be there for me to be willing to give my job my personal time. And the numbers they suggest ain’t nearly high enough.
 
In general women work less hours than men. It is just a fact. However this affects all specialties Medicine. All fields in fact. Women are more than 50% of the med students. It is only part of the problem. This aspect is unsolvable.
We are at a point in medicine where the flood gates are open to independent practice of mid levels.

I know this discussion has gotten side track (well I’m responsible for side tracking it )

But every play book calls for “access” to more providers.

Crnas have used that playbook to expand their practice. The more access to care playbook. Which makes it hypocritical of crna and aana to try to block AA legislation.

This will have a significant impact on the Washington DC area especially since Virginia just approved AA legislation last year. Once again I’m sure the Maryland aana will oppose it saying it doesn’t open up access to care
 
Did you read what I wrote?

If a location needs people to work 1.5 FTE then they are not properly staffed.

And whose responsibility is staffing?

Management / administration.

I don’t disagree with the point that people don’t want to work full time. I was highlighting your claim that people should be willing to work 1.5 FTE.

F-that, I’m not a resident anymore. The $$$ has to be there for me to be willing to give my job my personal time. And the numbers they suggest ain’t nearly high enough.
Correct. Work 1.5 fte. Get paid 1.5 fte. That’s why the hours model should be the standard. Including full beeper hours or some non monetary compensation like 16 hrs beeper is equivalent to 2 days off.
 
Correct. Work 1.5 fte. Get paid 1.5 fte. That’s why the hours model should be the standard. Including full beeper hours or some non monetary compensation like 16 hrs beeper is equivalent to 2 days off.
Nah, work 1.5 FTE get paid at least 2.5 FTE. There is a big premium that needs to be paid for my personal time.
 
A full time job is 40h/week M-F. I’ve spent my whole career being 1.5-2 ftes until I found my current job… which is 40ish hours a week but does include some weekends and off hours… I’m still not really just one fte by regular, office people standards. I’m a woman in case that wasn’t obvious.
One of my current partners - god bless her- is 8 months + pregnant and taking all the call and working just as much as any of us including the men.
There are some women drs who want to work less because they prioritize their other roles. But there are lots of us, myself included, that don’t. Today at work I ran two block heavy ortho rooms and two crazy ex lap general rooms - had a patient code, come back and then argue with me that he didn’t want to be admitted for telemetry monitoring… all while fielding phone calls from my husband asking where we keep the blender.
It’s my brothers 50th birthday and the whole family is going to Napa to celebrate - my SIL (female physician) and I planned everything. She texted me I guess if you want **** done call a female physician.
Aneftp has some selection bias - Florida attracts lots of part timers, not just women. He’s just hanging around too many SAHMs -
Can’t we let chocomorsel back to back me up on this ;-)

I definitely agree that if anyone HAS to work more than one fte it’s an administration problem - hire more staff.

The problem with this generation of crnas is the indoctrination they receive at school. They’re often told that the drs will be no help and that we will all just sit in the lounge and drink coffee while they work. They’re also told AAs can only chart and can’t do anything else. I have a good relationship with the crnas here - they were shocked! To hear that AAs can push drugs, intubate, do lines ans blocks…. Shocked that in most of the country they are crna equivalents.

The answer is to train more AAs and hire only the crnas that are committed to medical direction… and Fire the ones immediately who act as if they are equivalent or treat drs as superfluous.

But we are the enemy- there’s a Dr on the fb women’s anesthesiologist group who runs her own Locums company that teaches her CRNA’s blocks so they’ll come work for her Locums company- she’s a ***** - I’ve called her out and several of us have asked the admins to kick her out… they won’t.
Every time anesthesiologists do that kind of stuff or run more than 4 rooms or supervise instead of direct they undermine our profession… usually for greedy or laziness.

I’m glad anesthesia will likely hold up as a decent job for me for the rest of my career but the next generation is f’ed….
 
Part of the rise in part-timers is due to increased compensation in anesthesia. We don’t have to kill ourselves to make a good living nowadays. This is true for female, male, nonbinary, and gender fluid anesthesiologists.

Also need to distinguish female anesthesiologists with kids vs those who don’t have kids. We have a cluster of childless female cardiac anesthesiologists who are at the extreme high end of both productivity and work hours.
 
Last edited:
A full time job is 40h/week M-F. I’ve spent my whole career being 1.5-2 ftes until I found my current job… which is 40ish hours a week but does include some weekends and off hours… I’m still not really just one fte by regular, office people standards. I’m a woman in case that wasn’t obvious.
One of my current partners - god bless her- is 8 months + pregnant and taking all the call and working just as much as any of us including the men.
There are some women drs who want to work less because they prioritize their other roles. But there are lots of us, myself included, that don’t. Today at work I ran two block heavy ortho rooms and two crazy ex lap general rooms - had a patient code, come back and then argue with me that he didn’t want to be admitted for telemetry monitoring… all while fielding phone calls from my husband asking where we keep the blender.
It’s my brothers 50th birthday and the whole family is going to Napa to celebrate - my SIL (female physician) and I planned everything. She texted me I guess if you want **** done call a female physician.
Aneftp has some selection bias - Florida attracts lots of part timers, not just women. He’s just hanging around too many SAHMs -
Can’t we let chocomorsel back to back me up on this ;-)

I definitely agree that if anyone HAS to work more than one fte it’s an administration problem - hire more staff.

The problem with this generation of crnas is the indoctrination they receive at school. They’re often told that the drs will be no help and that we will all just sit in the lounge and drink coffee while they work. They’re also told AAs can only chart and can’t do anything else. I have a good relationship with the crnas here - they were shocked! To hear that AAs can push drugs, intubate, do lines ans blocks…. Shocked that in most of the country they are crna equivalents.

The answer is to train more AAs and hire only the crnas that are committed to medical direction… and Fire the ones immediately who act as if they are equivalent or treat drs as superfluous.

But we are the enemy- there’s a Dr on the fb women’s anesthesiologist group who runs her own Locums company that teaches her CRNA’s blocks so they’ll come work for her Locums company- she’s a ***** - I’ve called her out and several of us have asked the admins to kick her out… they won’t.
Every time anesthesiologists do that kind of stuff or run more than 4 rooms or supervise instead of direct they undermine our profession… usually for greedy or laziness.

I’m glad anesthesia will likely hold up as a decent job for me for the rest of my career but the next generation is f’ed….

Cant' wait for them mid level surgeons. They are already doing scopes and stents. Lobby hard and you will get bills passed that allow all this. It is inevitable.

Glad im outa here in 5 years.
 
Part of the rise in part-timers is due to increased compensation in anesthesia. We don’t have to kill ourselves to make a good living nowadays. This is true for female, male, nonbinary, and gender fluid anesthesiologists.

Also need to distinguish female anesthesiologists with kids vs those who don’t have kids. We have a cluster of childless female cardiac anesthesiologists who are at the extreme high end of both productivity and work hours.
That is partly to reason for part-timers, the real reason is that it is too taxing to do full-time physically but mostly mentally? Ive been at this for a while full time for over 20 years. It aint gettin easier. The demands are high.

Another reason is high earners get raped by taxes. Might as well be a medium earner
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Potential new legislature. The arguments are...interesting



at around the 53 min mark

I don't understand why CRNAs and AAs aren't prime to be replaced by AI.

I can do all the technical stuff, get a tough IV, intubate, neuraxial, blocks, lines.

We strangely share that space with CRNAs when we don't need to.

I just need them to chart and call me if anything is abnormal.

Actually, anything ELSE they do, like have any input in the case or ask questions, is just more work for me.

I dont need them to understand drugs or pharmacology. I dont need them to try and solve any problems. I just need them to take my orders.

I see us lining, inducing, managing the airway, setting the machine, and then AI will call us if there is a problem, or when surgeon indicates we are 5 minutes from being done, etc...

Anesthesia mid-levels are so expensive, and they literally add nothing except an alarm system IMO.

I truly feel I could train a new grad RN in 3-6 months to meet my needs in the OR.
 
One more anecdotal point, but all but one of our 30-45yo M docs are part time (0.6-0.9 FTE) , while every single one of our 55+ M docs are 1.0 FTE (or more).
I think the younger generation just not omit realizes the importance work life balance , but the diminishing returns of your pre tax income (and overnight/weekend shifts) once over $500k.
 
One more anecdotal point, but all but one of our 30-45yo M docs are part time (0.6-0.9 FTE) , while every single one of our 55+ M docs are 1.0 FTE (or more).
I think the younger generation just not omit realizes the importance work life balance , but the diminishing returns of your pre tax income (and overnight/weekend shifts) once over $500k.
Or if single /head of household anything above 230k AGI makes no sense w2 unless it’s easy w2 work.

Married above 530k AGI w2. Need to he careful working extra w2 unless it’s some guaranteed 8 hr extra pay w2 (and u only work 2-3 hrs w2 extra pay)