Anesthesia Away Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulen3823

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS3 here applying anesthesia. I've been applying to a bunch of anesthesia rotations on VSLO (20 programs ranging from competitive to more feasible) and still have not heard back from any program yet. Is it acceptable to email these programs directly, using the VSLO coordinator's email? Many of the programs state not to email asking for an update, but is it okay to email programs I'm highly interested in letting them know that? Just getting a bit worried as I hope to do 3-4 aways and have nothing set up yet. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can tell, May is when most programs start to send out offers for away rotations, so I wouldn’t sweat it too much until the end of the month. As for your questions, you definitely could reach out to the VSLO coordinators at programs that didn’t explicitly prohibit contact and mention your interest in the program. For the programs that prohibit contact, you are taking a risk of looking like someone who can’t follow direction by emailing them. Although, I don’t think VSLO coordinators have a lot to do with the actual decision on applications, but I could be wrong

There are also some programs that aren’t on VSLO that you could try applying to. Clinician Nexus is one of the other application services, mostly HCA programs on there though. Some programs you can apply to directly too.

Reactions: 1 user
OMS3 here applying anesthesia. I've been applying to a bunch of anesthesia rotations on VSLO (20 programs ranging from competitive to more feasible) and still have not heard back from any program yet. Is it acceptable to email these programs directly, using the VSLO coordinator's email? Many of the programs state not to email asking for an update, but is it okay to email programs I'm highly interested in letting them know that? Just getting a bit worried as I hope to do 3-4 aways and have nothing set up yet. Thanks!
Make sure you are are applying to programs that are within reach. You should be looking at residents and seeing if the classes are MD only, mostly MD, mixed, mostly DO, or all DO. Anesthesia is definitely becoming more competitive though so trying to get some aways would be a good thing in order to get some letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's still early. I would not email programs that say not to email them. They aren't going to like you more because you couldn't follow directions. Please don't make yourself stand out for the wrong reasons.

Overall, away rotations are a double edged sword in anesthesia.

Away rotations can go a long way if you have a strong performance, but they also can sink your application.

Some tips for anesthesia:
1. Be early
2. Learn to set up a room/do a machine check. Have at least the machine check done before your resident gets there
3. Be enthusiastic
4. Be willing to do procedures and shake it off if they don't go well. Blew an IV? I probably expected you to. But I'm impressed if you went for it and were willing to debrief afterwards. Same for any other procedure.

Anyone hear back yet? I emailed a ton of places and applied to probably 50 on VSLO at this point.

yes. Thank you! You should try reaching out to the programs to express interest. Let them know you applied and are waiting to hear back. It's worth a shot.
Been doing this and it worked for one program! Emailed them expressing interest after having submitted on vslo and then was accepted a few hours later. Gonna keep trying this method for other programs. Good luck to everyone!