Anesthesia Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhIII

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year getting ready to start a rotation in a few weeks. What book do you suggest I get to get myself prepared for the rotation and to use while on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how long your rotation is and what you want to get out of it (do you want to go into anesthesia??) If you do then investing in a text wouldn't be a bad idea since you will be able to use it later in your career also. If you don't plan on going into anesthesia then I would just either go to your library and check out a book or buying something used.

I really enjoyed baby Miller although it might be too long for a week rotation. If you want a quick learning tool then get the Handbook of Anesthesiology. It has almost anything you will need to know however, it doesn't give good explanations.

I plan on going into anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long will you be doing? There's a good book by BMJ Books (It's British...)
called how to survive in Anaesthesia
Authors Robinson N & Hall G

It's good for someone who hasn't done an anaesthesia before and will give you a good idea of what questions to ask, etc..

If you've done a bit more than that I've got a few more suggestions.

Email me and I'll give you a few more details... :)

NMS Clinical Manual: Anesthesiology by Randall S. Glidden

Should be the first book any medical student taking the anesthesiology rotation read. It's very simplified and breaks thing down very well.

The new baby miller (5th ed?) is awesome. Many chapters have been reworked and the new color pics are amazing. A vast improvement to the best gas book for students imo.

btw, I got my signed book from Miller at ucsf interview, but he spelled my name wrong!:laugh:

The new baby miller (5th ed?) is awesome. Many chapters have been reworked and the new color pics are amazing. A vast improvement to the best gas book for students imo.

btw, I got my signed book from Miller at ucsf interview, but he spelled my name wrong!:laugh:

hahaha ... you brought a baby miller for him to sign? ;)

hahaha ... you brought a baby miller for him to sign? ;)

I actually thought about bringing in my 4th ed....

He gave everybody signed copies of the new book during his 1-on-1 interview (which was him talking for 20 minutes).

Better than a big miller - might give yourself a hernia!

I'm just an undergrad, but for anesthesia help I use Clinical Anesthesia by Barash, Cullen, Stoelting. Even signed by Cullen... although it came like that when he gave it to me as a present for his grandson :) saved me a few bucks

So I've skimmed over Miller's book in the resident library at UCLA. What are the main differences between it and Clinical Anesthesia. From the looks of it, Miller seems to be the popular choice.

Miller is a reference book - no one is expecting you to read it. Just have it on the book shelf so if you ever needed any information it'll be in there somewhere. It's like, if you're an anaesthetist, you should have that book. A lot of the chapters are written by eminent authors, and most anaesthetists (in Oz, anesthesiologists to you!) consider it their bible.

Books like Barash and Mikhail/Morgan are actually meant to be read (possibly cover to cover) I think.

Baby Miller is a great book. I read Morgan and Makhail last year. Baby Miller is high yield. The book has a lot of material that is covered in the ITE. Baby Miller is good because you can read it over and over and memorize the material. The tables and graphs in Baby Miller make the book worth the $80.
Morgan and Makhail is a great book but the graphics in Baby Miller make it a winner.
CambieMD

One more plug for the baby Miller...

I think baby Miller is one of the books that will help you a lot and also is one of the LEAST likely books to be purchased for you by your program or a drug rep. A lot of the other books mentioned here are on lists that the drug reps can get you, etc. but I have never seen baby Miller on those lists. Buying baby miller might prevent you from having 2 copies of the same book down the road.
Also, I don't think you can get through barash or morgan/mikhail in one rotation. Good advice on this thread.

Secrets is a good book. Can give you a good overview of a subject matter FAST. I still read it once in a while. However it is reserved for toilet reading only now....Which, considering my GI profile, can add up to some hefty reading time.

If you are serious about anesthesiology get:
Basics of Anesthesiology. New edition is very good. However if you are tight on the funds a used previous edition will suffice but its not nearly as user friendly as the new edition. .

Current Clinical Stratagies Handbook of Anesthesia. Tells you all the drugs and has lots of useful clinical info in it.

NMS handbook may replace the CCS above. havent looked at it but lots of students have said its purty darn good. You just need something for the OR to access.

Those two books should cover it.

Anesthesia Secrets is good because the question and answer format makes reading it an exercise in active learning.It is also small enough to bring it into the OR without attracting too much attention.

CambieMD

After spending some quality time with Baby Miller I have to say that it is short on detail in some key topics. Monitoring and pain are just not really covered well. I had to read Morgan and Makhail in order to get the detail that I felt that I needed.

CambieMD

For your third year student rotation, I think any book that you can actually read and get through the main chapters thereof, is a good one to use.

At my rotation, they gave me a copy of Baby Miller to borrow. But it was old and too dense for me to read a lot of, the first time. The aforementioned NMS book by Glidden did the trick -- I got a quick overview, enough to ask questions about the basics (and asking questions after some basic reading is very much appreciated during your rotation).