Anesthesia books to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incrediblybored

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey residents/fellows/attendings:

MS-4, rank-list submitted, waiting until March for match. I think my friend might have access to some special deals on some book websites for a limited time, so I'm trying to figure out what to buy, anesthesia-wise. Don't know where I'm matching yet, so I don't know yet what the program will give me.

During CA-0 year, should I just read baby Miller? Is it worth it to try to check out Barash or big Miller during that year, or should I wait until I actually start delivering anesthesia? Which of those two did you guys find more useful for everyday stuff and for boards (or did you just use Big Blue)? I read a little bit of Morgan/Mikhail when I was on my elective rotations and it made me look pretty good, but is that what you guys used for everyday reading as residents?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice to be done with all that interviewing stuff, huh? Congrats!

As for what I (CBY/PGY1) am reading, it's Morgan and Mikhail. Most of the rest of my class seems to be reading Baby Miller, however. Even though you're not sure where you're gonna match, you could take a look-see at what books the first few programs you ranked will give you. Most of the programs that I ranked that offered books gave anesthesiology books exclusively, so you can maybe get some of another genre. The non-anesthesiology books I got this year were:
- Lange's On Call Medicine and On Call Surgery: good quick tidbits for what to do with many of the pages/dilemmas you'll be presented with. Helped a bunch for my first few months, as it gives you differentials to consider as well as medications WITH doses. You already know to give Calcium for very high potassium, but this book tells you how much.
- Marino's The ICU Book: great starter text for ICU. I liked that the text was pretty heavy set with his opinions; at least he stakes a claim for what he likes.
- First Aid for Step 3: you thought you were done with the FA series, but no. Get it cheap while you can.
- The Mont Reid Surgical Handbook: we do two months of surgery in our intern year, so I figured I should read something. Not great, but I didn't want anything more that this. To be honest, I actually borrowed this book, so it was a no-risk thing for me.

*I prolly should have gotten a more robust medicine text like Cecils or Harrisons, but it's SO EASY to uptodate info, or get on line texts, that I didn't spend the dough for more.

G'Luck w/things!

dc

Do not buy any books now.
Wait until you figure out where you are going, and what they will buy for you. A couple of my classmates went to a TY that gave them 1000 to spend on whatever books they wanted. I got nothing.
A good intern year book is The ICU Book stated above, and an anesthesia book. Obviously if they pay for more get more. Don't feel bad about that.
This list is probably very incomplete and I tried to go in the order that I would read things. Based on money, the order that I would get them would be:

The ICU Book (good medicine foundation, to help during intern year, and base later learning on)
Baby Miller
Morgan/Mikhail
The small outline version of Barash
Faust
Yao and Artesio
Stoelting Coexisting Disease
Either Barash or big Miller (waiting will let you get a more up to date version later, and chances are you will have online access)
Hall Anesthesia Review
Other books

Members don't see this ad :)
Start reading faust-- one chapter a day - the chapters are 2 pages max-- very doable- know faust cold by the time you finish residency in time for your boards and you are gold for your written boards. I would make faust my bible and morgan mikhail the secondary bible. agree with the books recommended for your transitional year. :)

I agree with the ICU book as a primer for both the ICU (and anesthesia). It explains cardio-pulmonary physiology on the most basic level.

Faust is a great review book.

I read parts of Baby Miller before I started resdiency. Borrow it from one of the residents where you are doing medical school (or the school library).