You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anesthesia for DO's
Started by Doc34
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
🙁 I've never heard that before. I hope that isn't true. I'm almost certain that there are Osteopathic hospitals that have gas residencies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey there.. i am a 4th yr Do student applying for anesthesiology now.. it is not impossible to get anesthesia interviews without the USMLE... i had 19 interviews.
PM me if u have any questions
peace
PM me if u have any questions
peace
Definately false. Several of my classmates matched into anesthesia without doing the USMLE.
Q, DO
Q, DO
usmle is not needed....although you may want to consider it if you are applying to top 10 programs bc it will open up more doors......
i am a 3rd yr and am most likely leaning twds gas....this is what i have been told by various grads of NYCOM that have landed top 10 spots.....
i am a 3rd yr and am most likely leaning twds gas....this is what i have been told by various grads of NYCOM that have landed top 10 spots.....
Originally posted by mmapcpro
If you finish an anesthesia residency as a DO, do you become DOA? 😛
Hehe. I'm such a nerd for laughing at that. Very witty, mmapcpro.

ecf1975do I PMed you.
Originally posted by doc3341
Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??
I hope this isn't a serious question- but the answer is no. USMLE helps but is not necessary.
Originally posted by doc3341
But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??
From my understanding, it depends on the program. Some allopathic programs accept COMLEX scores without the USMLE.
Originally posted by doc3341
But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??
1) You only need that traditional year if you wanna practice in the 5 states as far as anesthesiology is concerned. However, you can petition out as Quin did. It is a risk however.
2)False. USMLE is beneficial if you would like the opportunity to have interviews at more competitive programs. It is NOT needed to attain an allopathic residency.
The thing with the transitional year really doesnt matter because as far as i can see u have to do 1 year of graduate med education somewhere anyway just to start a 3year gas residency. Most of the time this is done as a trans or prelim year anyway, now whether or not this is incorporated in some programs and done at the same program is up to the program. But from what i can see u have to do 1 year before actually starting gas residency, so might as well do an aoa approved trans year. most gas is 4 years total, including the 1 year of trans or prelim.