Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
Someone told me that it is next to impossible to get a Anesthesia resiency without taking the USMLE's as a DO. Is this true?

Thanks

Non-Trad DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2002
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
:( I've never heard that before. I hope that isn't true. I'm almost certain that there are Osteopathic hospitals that have gas residencies.

9lives

15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
Sheridan,WY.
Status (Visible)
Old Man Dave on Old Premeds web page is in the gas program at Dartmoth,and a DO.Don't know whether or not he took USMLE.

About the Ads

ecf1975do

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2001
Maine
Status (Visible)
hey there.. i am a 4th yr Do student applying for anesthesiology now.. it is not impossible to get anesthesia interviews without the USMLE... i had 19 interviews.

PM me if u have any questions

peace

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
Definately false. Several of my classmates matched into anesthesia without doing the USMLE.

Q, DO

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 21, 2001
NYC/Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
usmle is not needed....although you may want to consider it if you are applying to top 10 programs bc it will open up more doors......

i am a 3rd yr and am most likely leaning twds gas....this is what i have been told by various grads of NYCOM that have landed top 10 spots.....

doc3341

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2004
Miami Fl
Status (Visible)
But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by doc3341
Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

I hope this isn't a serious question- but the answer is no. USMLE helps but is not necessary.

fabiolablake

Incompetent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Albany, OR
Status (Visible)
But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

From my understanding, it depends on the program. Some allopathic programs accept COMLEX scores without the USMLE.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

1) You only need that traditional year if you wanna practice in the 5 states as far as anesthesiology is concerned. However, you can petition out as Quin did. It is a risk however.

2)False. USMLE is beneficial if you would like the opportunity to have interviews at more competitive programs. It is NOT needed to attain an allopathic residency.

osteo emt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
pa
Status (Visible)
The thing with the transitional year really doesnt matter because as far as i can see u have to do 1 year of graduate med education somewhere anyway just to start a 3year gas residency. Most of the time this is done as a trans or prelim year anyway, now whether or not this is incorporated in some programs and done at the same program is up to the program. But from what i can see u have to do 1 year before actually starting gas residency, so might as well do an aoa approved trans year. most gas is 4 years total, including the 1 year of trans or prelim.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.