Anesthesia for DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that it is next to impossible to get a Anesthesia resiency without taking the USMLE's as a DO. Is this true?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

:( I've never heard that before. I hope that isn't true. I'm almost certain that there are Osteopathic hospitals that have gas residencies.

Old Man Dave on Old Premeds web page is in the gas program at Dartmoth,and a DO.Don't know whether or not he took USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there.. i am a 4th yr Do student applying for anesthesiology now.. it is not impossible to get anesthesia interviews without the USMLE... i had 19 interviews.

PM me if u have any questions

peace

usmle is not needed....although you may want to consider it if you are applying to top 10 programs bc it will open up more doors......

i am a 3rd yr and am most likely leaning twds gas....this is what i have been told by various grads of NYCOM that have landed top 10 spots.....

If you finish an anesthesia residency as a DO, do you become DOA? :p

But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

Originally posted by doc3341
Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

I hope this isn't a serious question- but the answer is no. USMLE helps but is not necessary.

But would a DO wanting to do Anesthesia, or EM, still need to do that whole transitional year thing before starting the residency?/ Also, I heard that you needed your USMLE's as a DO to get an MD residency, is this true tooo??

From my understanding, it depends on the program. Some allopathic programs accept COMLEX scores without the USMLE.

1) You only need that traditional year if you wanna practice in the 5 states as far as anesthesiology is concerned. However, you can petition out as Quin did. It is a risk however.

2)False. USMLE is beneficial if you would like the opportunity to have interviews at more competitive programs. It is NOT needed to attain an allopathic residency.

The thing with the transitional year really doesnt matter because as far as i can see u have to do 1 year of graduate med education somewhere anyway just to start a 3year gas residency. Most of the time this is done as a trans or prelim year anyway, now whether or not this is incorporated in some programs and done at the same program is up to the program. But from what i can see u have to do 1 year before actually starting gas residency, so might as well do an aoa approved trans year. most gas is 4 years total, including the 1 year of trans or prelim.