Anesthesia Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twptophan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th yr medical student interested in anesthesia. Any advice on whether to spend my intern year in medicine or to do a transitional year? No way I am doing surgery my intern year. I would like to medicine, but I am not sure if thats Kosher for most anesthesia programs. Any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 4th yr medical student interested in anesthesia. Any advice on whether to spend my intern year in medicine or to do a transitional year? No way I am doing surgery my intern year. I would like to medicine, but I am not sure if thats Kosher for most anesthesia programs. Any advice? Thanks.

I did medicine for my prelim year, and I know many others who did also. You won't have any problems.

I still view my patients as medical patients with surgical solutions to one or more of their problems.

Would there be any advantage to doing a transitional year rather than a prelim medicine year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure how much clinical and educational benefit you'll have in a transitional program vs. doing a full year of medicine. I have quite a few colleagues who did transitional years and most did 3 months of medicine, 3 months of surgery and 6 months of fluff like a derm or path rotation. We had transitional interns rotating through during my medicine internship and all they really learned was how to drown in unfamiliar paperwork during their 3 months.

I'm not really sure how much clinical and educational benefit you'll have in a transitional program vs. doing a full year of medicine. I have quite a few colleagues who did transitional years and most did 3 months of medicine, 3 months of surgery and 6 months of fluff like a derm or path rotation. We had transitional interns rotating through during my medicine internship and all they really learned was how to drown in unfamiliar paperwork during their 3 months.

My transitional is integrated.

3 months med, 3 months surg, 2 months ICU, 1 month EM, 2 weeks pulm, 1 month peds, 1 month APS, etc

I'm friends with a bunch of anesthesia residents, most of whom did medicine for their intern year.

If you have the numbers, do a reasonable transitional. These are much harder to match than anesthesia. Be careful because some ty's are worse than med prelim years