Anesthesia Intern Year

Started by Twptophan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Twptophan

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 4th yr medical student interested in anesthesia. Any advice on whether to spend my intern year in medicine or to do a transitional year? No way I am doing surgery my intern year. I would like to medicine, but I am not sure if thats Kosher for most anesthesia programs. Any advice? Thanks.
 
I'm a 4th yr medical student interested in anesthesia. Any advice on whether to spend my intern year in medicine or to do a transitional year? No way I am doing surgery my intern year. I would like to medicine, but I am not sure if thats Kosher for most anesthesia programs. Any advice? Thanks.

I did medicine for my prelim year, and I know many others who did also. You won't have any problems.

I still view my patients as medical patients with surgical solutions to one or more of their problems.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not really sure how much clinical and educational benefit you'll have in a transitional program vs. doing a full year of medicine. I have quite a few colleagues who did transitional years and most did 3 months of medicine, 3 months of surgery and 6 months of fluff like a derm or path rotation. We had transitional interns rotating through during my medicine internship and all they really learned was how to drown in unfamiliar paperwork during their 3 months.
 
I'm not really sure how much clinical and educational benefit you'll have in a transitional program vs. doing a full year of medicine. I have quite a few colleagues who did transitional years and most did 3 months of medicine, 3 months of surgery and 6 months of fluff like a derm or path rotation. We had transitional interns rotating through during my medicine internship and all they really learned was how to drown in unfamiliar paperwork during their 3 months.

My transitional is integrated.

3 months med, 3 months surg, 2 months ICU, 1 month EM, 2 weeks pulm, 1 month peds, 1 month APS, etc
 
I'm friends with a bunch of anesthesia residents, most of whom did medicine for their intern year.
 
I'm a 4th yr medical student interested in anesthesia. Any advice on whether to spend my intern year in medicine or to do a transitional year? No way I am doing surgery my intern year. I would like to medicine, but I am not sure if thats Kosher for most anesthesia programs. Any advice? Thanks.

If you have the numbers, do a reasonable transitional. These are much harder to match than anesthesia. Be careful because some ty's are worse than med prelim years