Anesthesia Knowledge Test (AKT)-6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incrediblybored

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

CA-1 here. Anyone take the AKT-6 (fairly) recently and have any recommendations how to study? The old threads say use Big Blue and M/M, but I'm also looking for a question source. The ITE questions on the ASA website seem like they're too hard, especially as compared to the AKT-1 when I took it back in July.

Any help is much appreciated -- feel free to post on here or PM me.

Thanks,

--IB

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

CA-1 here. Anyone take the AKT-6 (fairly) recently and have any recommendations how to study? The old threads say use Big Blue and M/M, but I'm also looking for a question source. The ITE questions on the ASA website seem like they're too hard, especially as compared to the AKT-1 when I took it back in July.

Any help is much appreciated -- feel free to post on here or PM me.

Thanks,

--IB

Look up the content outline for the AKT-6 and do the relevant chapters in Hall.

Hey all,

CA-1 here. Anyone take the AKT-6 (fairly) recently and have any recommendations how to study? The old threads say use Big Blue and M/M, but I'm also looking for a question source.

I did really well on mine. Hall and M&M are all that you need. I actually hate M&M, its too short if you want to be an expert in your field. Haven't touched it since I blew through it early CA1 year. But the truth is, M&M is perfect for boards because it is extremely high yield.

Every percentile above 90 on those exams is exponentially tougher to get, so its just not worth the time and energy to waste 500 hours when 50 would suffice.

As for hall, its not enough to just know the answers. The real value is the explanations. Cross reference every detail that doesn't make sense. Do that and you'll smoke that exam.

Try to crush your AKT6, it will make ITE prep so much easier. I only studied 2 days for the ITE and still did really well. 2 great scores for the price of 1.

As for AKT6 specific: Physiology, Pharmacology (especially paralytics and volatiles), general anesthetic management, and OB. Its on par with AKT1. THere are a lot of easy grab equipment questions like quantity, pressure, or color of various E cylinders or the function of the fail safe valve, ect. So don't skim those chapters.

Reactions: 1 user
The AKT-6 is a good test. I would say memorizing the first 24 chapters of baby miller + hall and you will beat >90% and be on point for the ITE. And having a solid inservice exam will only boost your rep in the program.
These test get harder and harder to blow out so I recommend studying hard for your CA-1 exams.

Reactions: 1 user