Anesthesia residency interview invites and waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently been invited to interview at two programs I am very interested in. Two minutes after receiving my interview invitation via email, I go on ERAS to find that every interview spot is taken and am forced to place myself on a waitlist. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation. Were you able to get off the waitlist and secure an interview time slot? This is my number one program and I am pretty bummed out that they would send out more invites than spots, and especially frustrated that it filled up in less than 120 seconds (neurotic people). Would you recommend reaching out to the program director or coordinator? For the other school that this happened to me I emailed the residency coordinator and not the PD and got no response. I am really looking for some input, appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have recently been invited to interview at two programs I am very interested in. Two minutes after receiving my interview invitation via email, I go on ERAS to find that every interview spot is taken and am forced to place myself on a waitlist. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation. Were you able to get off the waitlist and secure an interview time slot? This is my number one program and I am pretty bummed out that they would send out more invites than spots, and especially frustrated that it filled up in less than 120 seconds (neurotic people). Would you recommend reaching out to the program director or coordinator? For the other school that this happened to me I emailed the residency coordinator and not the PD and got no response. I am really looking for some input, appreciate it!
Not anesthesia...but I have feeling it is same for any specialty. This is what happens when program send out more invite than spot...if it is eras you just have to wait...whether you get off or not depend on cancellation. I would no email coordinator or PD since it is through eras...it is different system when it is scheduled through coordinator tho...if then you can email and try...but usually through eras then you just have to wait

dude, email the PC. it's your #1, do everything you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember you can add yourself to multiple waitlist days so add to every single one you don’t already have an interview.

On eras I’m waitlisted for a program on every available day and it shows up on my calendar that way.
Really? I tried to do that and it asked me to drop the day I am already waitlisted.

Yeah. I even double checked to make sure I didn’t mess it up when you said it’s not possible. I’m on like 10 slots on the same program.

dude, email the PC. it's your #1, do everything you can.
should I wait a bit to see if any spots open up, or do you advise emailing them as soon as possible?

I'd email asap. This cycle is unprecedented, and advocating for yourself can't hurt. I'm couples matching, and my partner is on the waitlist at 3+ places where I have interviews. I assumed a spot would certainly open, but one never did, and now we have three fewer places to rank because I assumed the waitlists would move. absolutely email the PC to let her know of your interest and potentially help to make it happen for you.

I'd email asap. This cycle is unprecedented, and advocating for yourself can't hurt. I'm couples matching, and my partner is on the waitlist at 3+ places where I have interviews. I assumed a spot would certainly open, but one never did, and now we have three fewer places to rank because I assumed the waitlists would move. absolutely email the PC to let her know of your interest and potentially help to make it happen for you.
Lol it does not guarantee if you email you will get the interview...there may be just no waitlist movement from cancellation...no one will cancel top programs.
The only con to email is: really ERAS is an auto system...if there is not one, there is not one...and also do you expect the coordinator to put you up the list in front of others because you email? But OP obviously can do it as his/her own risk

Lol it does not guarantee if you email you will get the interview...there may be just no waitlist movement from cancellation...no one will cancel top programs.
The only con to email is: really ERAS is an auto system...if there is not one, there is not one...and also do you expect the coordinator to put you up the list in front of others because you email? But OP obviously can do it as his/her own risk
i'm not saying it will get them an interview, but they have nothing to lose. and yes, expressing interest will frequently put you in front of others.

i'm not saying it will get them an interview, but they have nothing to lose. and yes, expressing interest will frequently put you in front of others.
My opinion: if you have not received an interview and send a LOI, then sure they can put you in front of others. But if they send more invites than spots, and you are late to sign up a date, then no I don't think it is right and I hope they don't let you move in front of others. It is like waiting in line...do you expect to move up because you express interest lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve gotten multiple interviews from LOIs. Including at least one “top” program who even told me it’s why I was taken off the waitlist.

I’ve gotten multiple interviews from LOIs. Including at least one “top” program who even told me it’s why I was taken off the waitlist.
This is different. OP got invite but registered later than others and got put on waitlist for a spot to be open. Do you want someone else jump in front of you if that person sign up after you? It is the unfortunate game that the programs play.

• Dislike
This is different. OP got invite but registered later than others and got put on waitlist for a spot to be open. Do you want someone else jump in front of you if that person sign up after you? It is the unfortunate game that the programs play.
If that person can convince the program that they’re more interested/deserving of an interview than me, then yeah. OP might be behind people who legitimately aren’t interested and are just applying broadly.

Shoot your shot, OP. No point in having regrets.

Reactions: 1 users
If that person can convince the program that they’re more interested/deserving of an interview than me, then yeah. OP might be behind people who legitimately aren’t interested and are just applying broadly.

Shoot your shot, OP. No point in having regrets.
So your "IF" and "IF"...I am sure you would not mind people cut in front of you...by taking backdoor lmao

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I have gotten multiple IIs from sending LOIs back in my days. Do it, especially if you have a legit reason to go to those places.

Write 5 sentences, keep it short and sweet.

I have gotten multiple IIs from sending LOIs back in my days. Do it, especially if you have a legit reason to go to those places.

Write 5 sentences, keep it short and sweet.
She/he got interviews but registered late...no spot...Stay in line and wait...Show that you try to take the back door n cut line is also not a very good attribute

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you read? She/he got interviews but registered late...no spot...Stay in line and wait...Show that you try to take the back door n cut line is also not a very good attribute
dude you gotta chill. you sound hella salty, man. i'm not sure what's going on in your personal interview world, but we're all out here trying to support OP, not attacking other members.

dude you gotta chill. you sound hella salty, man. i'm not sure what's going on in your personal interview world, but we're all out here trying to support OP, not attacking other members.
By trying to cut in line. Sure. It is the basic etiquette...I am not so sure why I have to spend time arguing about it. Again, show people you are impatient and try to cut in line...some may take it the wrong way...but if OP wants to take that risk...go ahead...ain’t my reputation or interview...🤣

• Angry
By trying to cut in line. Sure. It is the basic etiquette...I am not so sure why I have to spend time arguing about it. Again, show people you are impatient and try to cut in line...some may take it the wrong way...but if OP wants to take that risk...go ahead...ain’t my reputation or interview...🤣
unless you're a PD or an APD, you have nothing to base this on other than your own opinion. it's important to advocate for yourself. there are very few ways we can genuinely show interest right now, and e-mailing to let people know is one of them. there is nothing wrong with that, and I think it's foolish not to do it and just *hope* that everything might work out.

unless you're a PD or an APD, you have nothing to base this on other than your own opinion. it's important to advocate for yourself. there are very few ways we can genuinely show interest right now, and e-mailing to let people know is one of them. there is nothing wrong with that, and I think it's foolish not to do it and just *hope* that everything might work out.
Idt you understand the difference situations here. One is pre interview, you can send people LOI to show interest then get interview. Two is after you get interview invite already, no spots left to interview because you sign up late. People will notify you if there is one open up. There are people waiting in front of you and maybe it is there first choice as well. But you decide to be impatient and email hoping to jump in front of others. Two total different situations...again do what you want...lol...I would not because guess what? It is my fault to sign up late and I am not trying to cut in line.

Literally two minutes after I got the email it was full. It wasn’t like I was hours late, even still that should be ok. It’s unreal how neurotic people are I can’t wait by the phone every possible second of every day.

Literally two minutes after I got the email it was full. It wasn’t like I was hours late, even still that should be ok. It’s unreal how neurotic people are I can’t wait by the phone every possible second of every day.
Lmao my specialty it is full with one min. Some people could not even waitlist...but I took that bravely...everyone played the game and did not bother to cut line.

• Haha
Lmao my specialty it is full with one min. Some people could not even waitlist...but I took that bravely...everyone played the game and did not bother to cut line.
Someone ban this dude already

• Haha
Lol probationary status

Lol probationary status
And? Big deal? No one cares 🤣 at least I know I am being fair to other applicants who probably want the spot too as well...this makes me sleep well at nights...🤦‍♀🤣

• Haha
Come on really two minutes? Yea super fair

It is my fault to sign up late and I am not trying to cut in line.

For trying to keep it fair to other applicants? 🤣 chill down dude.

And? Big deal? No one cares 🤣 at least I know I am being fair to other applicants who probably want the spot too as well...this makes me sleep well at nights...🤦‍♀🤣
Lmao this thinking really is something else. This is the real world, expressing interest is not cutting in line or being unfair to other applicants, it’s how you get the job you want. This is a job application process.

If you think people aren’t expressing interest, emailing PCs and trying to get off the waitlists at whatever top programs In whatever top surgical specialty you’re applying to.... I’ve got some beach front property in New Mexico to sell you.

Lmao this thinking really is something else. This is the real world, expressing interest is not cutting in line or being unfair to other applicants, it’s how you get the job you want. This is a job application process.

If you think people aren’t expressing interest, emailing PCs and trying to get off the waitlists at whatever top programs In whatever top surgical specialty you’re applying to.... I’ve got some beach front property in New Mexico to sell you.
Idk if you are aware...but I have no problem w LOI pre interview...even if that means you get interviews. But the situation is different when this person signed up later than others and is waitlisted for an open date. You can try to cut in line of others and be that person if you want. I am not. But don’t mock me because I try to be fair to others 🤦‍♀️.

Idk if you are aware...but I have no problem w LOI pre interview...even if that means you get interviews. But the situation is different when this person signed up later than others and is waitlisted for an open date. You can try to cut in line of others and be that person if you want. I am not. But don’t mock me because I try to be fair to others 🤦‍♀️.
It’s not different. Getting on ERAS 1 minute after others isn’t “signing up later than other” outside of strict technicality.

I’m not mocking you. I’m being serious. I’m not sure how many real jobs you’ve had to apply to before but this is a job application process. This is how people end up in the jobs they want. It’s not “cutting in line” or “being unfair.” It’s how it works. I’ve helped hired people before, someone who shows actual interest in the job gets more consideration. That’s just how the real world works.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s not different. Getting on ERAS 1 minute after others isn’t “signing up later than other” outside of strict technicality.

I’m not mocking you. I’m being serious. I’m not sure how many real jobs you’ve had to apply to before but this is a job application process. This is how people end up in the jobs they want. It’s not “cutting in line” or “being unfair.” It’s how it works. I’ve helped hired people before, someone who shows actual interest in the job gets more consideration. That’s just how the real world works.
I am on waitlist list for 6 programs because I signed up late and one faculty who is willing to make phone call for me to get off and I did not bother...
By the way, I always have a part-time to full time job since a sophomore in high school so yes I know how job process works.

If you're a MD superstar, wonderful and going exactly as planned. If you're middle of the pack MD, DO, IMG, experience can range from every MS4's nightmare to pretty good.
Lol sounds like a typical cycle

Lol sounds like a typical cycle
pretty much except geographic ties is a factor that has been blown out of proportion compared to recent years. You had a more than a decent shot as a DO, IMG, FMG with 220+step 1&2 and no red flags in previous years. This year it seems even the 235+ students are struggling to get 10 interviews