Anesthesia to X specialty after pgy1 stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golddog21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After deliberating on a specialty in med school for all of my fourth year, I am now confident that I made the wrong specialty decision, unfortunately. I ultimately chose anesthesia because I enjoy pathophysiology and pharm and thought that leaving work at work would allow me to be my best self for my wife and kid. However, I now realize that the role is just not a good fit for me despite thoroughly thinking through the pros and cons as a med student, and it won’t give me the career satisfaction that I need.

For reference, I was between a surgical sub and gas but felt like I didn’t love to operate enough to justify the surgical path. I had a top quintile rank and strong app otherwise. Now I feel that the cost of the surgical path would’ve been worth it since I just can’t live with the “what if” feeling as well as I thought I could. I’m still very lost, which is frankly embarrassing since I put so much effort into figuring out the best career path for me and still didn’t find it. Ideally I would like to do something procedural but with more patient ownership, mix of clinic and procedures. I’ve considered everything from rads to ESIR to IM subspecialty. Would really prefer not to have to repeat a year, but I understand that is the path I may have to take

I’m really struggling and need help thinking through a new path vs accepting the current one. If you have advice or stories of switching from gas to another specialty, I would appreciate it. Conversely, if you felt that sticking it out is the best path for someone in my shoes, lmk. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why not consider pain? If you're considering things like IR and IM subspecialties for the procedural aspect, seems like pain would fulfill similar things for you.

Reactions: 1 user
After deliberating on a specialty in med school for all of my fourth year, I am now confident that I made the wrong specialty decision, unfortunately. I ultimately chose anesthesia because I enjoy pathophysiology and pharm and thought that leaving work at work would allow me to be my best self for my wife and kid. However, I now realize that the role is just not a good fit for me despite thoroughly thinking through the pros and cons as a med student, and it won’t give me the career satisfaction that I need.

For reference, I was between a surgical sub and gas but felt like I didn’t love to operate enough to justify the surgical path. I had a top quintile rank and strong app otherwise. Now I feel that the cost of the surgical path would’ve been worth it since I just can’t live with the “what if” feeling as well as I thought I could. I’m still very lost, which is frankly embarrassing since I put so much effort into figuring out the best career path for me and still didn’t find it. Ideally I would like to do something procedural but with more patient ownership, mix of clinic and procedures. I’ve considered everything from rads to ESIR to IM subspecialty. Would really prefer not to have to repeat a year, but I understand that is the path I may have to take

I’m really struggling and need help thinking through a new path vs accepting the current one. If you have advice or stories of switching from gas to another specialty, I would appreciate it. Conversely, if you felt that sticking it out is the best path for someone in my shoes, lmk. Thanks
As a man you really shouldn't make a decision for a wife and kids in today's climate... all Im gonna say about that

If you want to take a research year and get back on the surgical subspeciality grind, go for it.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a man you really shouldn't make a decision for a wife and kids in today's climate... all Im gonna say about that

If you want to take a research year and get back on the surgical subspeciality grind, go for it.
You ever heard of someone doing this? I was a strong candidate as an M4, but I figured leaving a program would be a death sentence for any surgical sub...even with research year

honestly you might be able to do the ye old residentswap with someone in a rads program or something. ITs not impossible im sure people switch between the two. The questions is why tho lol. Grass is greener man