Anesthesiology books to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlee

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting my CA-1 year in July. What books might current anesthesia residents recommend as must-haves? I just bought baby Miller. I heard Clinical Anesthesiology by Morgan and Mikhail is highly recommended...

Members don't see this ad.

drlee said:
I'll be starting my CA-1 year in July. What books might current anesthesia residents recommend as must-haves? I just bought baby Miller. I heard Clinical Anesthesiology by Morgan and Mikhail is highly recommended...

Is the Clinical Anesthesiology book by Lange any good?

Clinical Anesthesiology is a very good book. I would also recommend Anesthesia & Coexisting Disease, & Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice, both by Stoelting.

Some advanced reading would include Hensley and Gravlee's Cardiac Anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSouthwestern said:
Clinical Anesthesiology is a very good book. I would also recommend Anesthesia & Coexisting Disease, & Pharmacology and Physiology in Anesthetic Practice, both by Stoelting.

Some advanced reading would include Hensley and Gravlee's Cardiac Anesthesia.

Personally I think Barash's Clinical Anesthesiology is fantastic, but save that for after you get through Morgan's Lange book (I'm not nearly through with it). Faust's review book is great too. Hopefully I'll do o.k. on the in-service after I pound that sucker into my brain. Alas the unit runs me life as of now.

BTW Dr. Lee you are a bastard! :D

Before you buy anything, you may want to see if your program provides you with books, or gives you an allowance to purchase them. Having said that, Morgan and Mikhail is probably the best book to read for your CA-1 year.

Leinie

Clinical Anesthesiology by Morgan and Mikhail which is the Lange book is excellent. Nothing dry about it. Just concise user friendly, and a quick read.

I just went a little bezerk on Amazon. I bought Mikhail and Morgan's Clinical Anesthesiology book, same for Barash's, Anesthesiology Review, Anesthesia Secrets, Baby Miller, Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease by Stoelting, Pharmacology & Physiology in Anesthestic Practice.
I'm gonna finish all of these books in time for the in-service. JUST KIDDING! :p
I figure all of these books are the only ones I really need to use for residency. I'm gonna have to stop playing/chasing women during the week and start reading for once...
Hey, VentDependent, how's the new Liao-induced a**hole? :smuggrin:

drlee said:
I just went a little bezerk on Amazon. I bought Mikhail and Morgan's Clinical Anesthesiology book, same for Barash's, Anesthesiology Review, Anesthesia Secrets, Baby Miller, Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease by Stoelting, Pharmacology & Physiology in Anesthestic Practice.
I'm gonna to finish all of these books in time for the in-service. JUST KIDDING! :p
I figure all of these books are the only ones I really need to use for residency. I'm gonna have to stop playing/chasing women during the week and start reading for once...
Hey, VentDependent, how's the new Liao-induced a**hole? :smuggrin:

I have all of those and you made some good buys. The Stoelting Pharm and Physio book is also fantastic.

I love how MS3NavyFS2B talks that big shot talk, but she hasn't even cracked open the introductory anesthesia texts. How about you be a brave little girl and open your mouth in the OR as you do here and see how far you get. And telling on the OR nurses for putting you in your rightful place? Come on and grow up.

drlee said:
I'm gonna finish all of these books in time for the in-service. JUST KIDDING! :p

Hot damn son, you're gonna be one smart cookie. I'll let RUSH pick up the tab for Barash and Miller. I prefer the former but we are indoctrinated in the latter there.

Things are going well. Just stay on top of your stuff, read, and you'll be cool here my friend! That is as long as its not full and everyones' vented and on pressors.

This book was recently recommended to me. I haven't bought it, and I don't know anything about it (other than it was highly recommended).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...sr_1_1/104-3995161-5379125?v=glance&s =books

-Skip

Clinical Anesthesiology seems to be a good introductory text. It is full of charts and graphs. Baby Miller seems somewhat dense and is not as readable.

CambieMD

hey guys I just bought baby miller, secrets, and the lange book. all seemed pretty dang good. One I was debating on getting was the anesth. and coexisting disease. It seems like it would be a great book, but I figured I would just start with what I have and go from there. Is it a must have? any thoughts

For inservice exams the best source is jensens big blue. morgan's anesthesiology is good too. after buying several books i would in retrospect only buy jensen's big blue ($1000 course) and barash's clinical anesthesia and something to carry in pocket (like mass gen clincal anes procedures)