Anesthesiology during Intern Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lurch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I matched into a 3 year program and a separate preliminary year in internal medicine. This prelim year does not give me the option of rotating with Anesthesiology in any capacity (OR, Pain, Surgical ICU, PACU, Preop Evaluation, etc). Is this a big deal? Is this uncommon? How many of you had no Anesthesia exposure during your intern year? Did it put you behind when you started your CA years? What do you think? Kind of wishing I had matched into prelim surgery instead considering they would have given me an Anesthesia month.

Members don't see this ad.

So I matched into a 3 year program and a separate preliminary year in internal medicine. This prelim year does not give me the option of rotating with Anesthesiology in any capacity (OR, Pain, Surgical ICU, PACU, Preop Evaluation, etc). Is this a big deal? Is this uncommon? How many of you had no Anesthesia exposure during your intern year? Did it put you behind when you started your CA years? What do you think? Kind of wishing I had matched into prelim surgery instead considering they would have given me an Anesthesia month.

Don't be worried. You'll be fine.
2win

Members don't see this ad :)
HTat's probably better. You will get another month of some other medicine type of service which will help yo in the long run. YOu have the rest of your life to do anesthesia.

Nah, I believe it's "no more than 1 month of anesthesia."

I didn't do any anesthesia in my intern year...maybe I skipped the requirement....

We do one of our perioperative clinic months during intern year. It will be nice to get it out of the way. It's also probably the month my wife will give birth to #2, so that's a plus.

We actually do 3 months "within the anesthesia department"
Anesthesia, periop clinic, SICU...the rest of the year is for being ravaged by other departments.

I don't think it's a requirement. I just think it's bull**** they don't give me the option.

Here are the requirements.
http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/040_anesthesiology_07012008_u03102008.pdf

Direct quote: "Up to one month may be taken in anesthesiology."

Relax: while you won't get hands on anesthesia stuff, try to learn the following things:

1) becoming a physician and knowing how to evaluate and treat common diseases that your future patients will be afflicted by.
2) concentrate on finishing your Step 3 (do this in first half of your internship)
3) concentrate on reading anesthesiology books (M&M, for example) so that you are ready to hit the ground running once you arrive to your residency site.
4) have fun! These are four years of your life!:thumbup:

I don't think it's a requirement. I just think it's bull**** they don't give me the option.

Here are the requirements.
http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/040_anesthesiology_07012008_u03102008.pdf

Direct quote: "Up to one month may be taken in anesthesiology."

ER, Cards, Pulm, or ICU are pretty good alternatives dude.

Did 2 months of ICU (max it out during intern year so you don't have to catch up on it later), a month of ER - lots of intubations/lines in both ICU and ER, got my EKG skills down cold during Cards.

also played with the vent during ICU/pulm.

I wish I could have done some Pediatric too....

Come to think of it, ideally, a good pre-anes year = ENT, ER, CVICU, Cards, Pulm, Peds, OB, SICU, MICU, PICU, Pain/Neuro, then end the year with the last month split in 2 WEEKS of FREE TIME FOR STEP 3 studying and 2 WEEKS of INTRO TO GENERAL ANESTHESIA = 12 months.

Last edited:
I did a month of renal that I tend to find valuable as well. The nephrologist I worked with was one of those brilliant foreign docs working in a VA for visa reasons, so maybe that is why I got so much out of it.

Thanks guys. I will suck it up/make the most of it/bend over and take it. Should be a good year. Peace

Sounds like my experience.

Looking back, I would pay Mucho attention to the Cardiac/Pulm and ICU experiences. If you have a choice (I didn't) don't bother with OutPt stuff like Acute Care clinics (even tho the month is easier) and don't do Oncology (since you are not going to be ordering much chemo as an Anesthesiologist).

Peds ICU, some value. Gen Med stuff, as painful as those rotations can be, do provide valuable experience with diagnosing cardiac and pulmonary events on the fly.

Hello,

PilotDoc said it very eloquently in another thread: "Internship is the time to be an intern." During that time you are not going to be an anesthesia resident, but an intern. Be sure to take good advantage of it without wasting time and energy lamenting that you are not in anesthesia, because every experience during internship will be very valuable for you in the future. Try to learn as much as you can in every rotation. Temporarily forget about anesthesia. During each rotation concentrate on what you are doing then and there. You should make your attendings think, "I wish I could have this guy stay as a resident in my program instead of going to anesthesia." You will not regret it.

Greetings