Anesthesiology Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amilas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Caribbean med student, Step 1 = 226 (92), applying for the 2008 Match. I'm very curious about Anesthesiology, but May is the only month I can take Anesth elective (& get a letter of rec before Sept 1 for the 2008 Match). The problem is, I'm also studying for Step 2 within April+May. So basically I want a short Anesth elec to get a Letter of Rec & still have enough time to study for Step 2. (I'm also planning on taking another Anesth elec to get a real sense of what Anesth is like)

--- Does taking a 2-week Anesthesiology elective -- instead of a 3-week elec -- look lazy/bad on residency applic for Anesth? I know you guys are not PDs but your opinions are still well-thought-out and therefore I consider them in helping me make my choice! :)

--- I know everybody hates hearing this question, but I can't resist asking --> what are my chances to get into Anesth in the first place?

I'm a Caribbean grad, Step 1 = 226 (92) 1st attempt, Basic Sciences GPA = 81% including one failure in Biochem (repeat grade B), and a withdrawal grade in Path (repeat grade B); typically grades in the B's; Honored Pharm & Anatomy (95, 95); top 1/3 in my class; Honored some cores (OBGYN, PEDS, FP, PSYCH); Letters from Psych, Neuro, Family -- and hopefully Anesth!! :) The only things on my CV are psych research in undergrad w/ poster, typical medical volunteer work in undergrad, later worked full-time as Psych Nursing Technician, TA/Tutor Anatomy & Pharm in med school. I feel kind of average :(

I'm fine with applying to middle-to-low tier programs (I'm not dreaming about Harvard or even top-tier) as long as it's not the absolute worst program known to mankind.

Do I sound like a decent applicant, or should I not get too optimistic? Any suggestions about programs that are likely to be friendly to an applicant similar to myself?

Thank you so much for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

With your overall numbers (Step 1 above 220, top 1/3 of your class, honored multiple clerkships) if you had been a US MD applicant, you would have been invited to many or most of the "elite" residency programs. Although you will probably not get invitations to many "elite" programs because they filter out IMG applicants and possibly people who've failed stuff, I think you will probably get a spot at a decent residency program if you apply wisely and sell yourself.

I would favor postponing Step 2 for a few weeks and doing a one month rotation if you can. (If during the rotation you realize anesthesia is NOT for you, this will become apparent early on, probably during the first two weeks. So hey, if you have a chance to change your schedule and drop the last two weeks, you can do so then.) One month will give you more knowledge about the field and the work day as well as about the science and practice of anesthesiology. That will give you more to write about in your personal statement and more to talk about during your interviews -- all part of "selling yourself."

I don't know anyone who matched having done just a two-week rotation, so I can't tell you from personal experience whether I would recommend it.