Anesthesiology in Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ThinkFast007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone do this or know of anyone that did this? as an intern or anesthesiologist? i would obviously like to help. Also, I would like to get an idea of how anesthesiologists in third world countries do their job w/o the fancy machines....relying only on physical exam, as I've heard from some ppl.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/field/

if so, what was teh experience like?
 
ThinkFast007 said:
Anyone do this or know of anyone that did this? as an intern or anesthesiologist? i would obviously like to help. Also, I would like to get an idea of how anesthesiologists in third world countries do their job w/o the fancy machines....relying only on physical exam, as I've heard from some ppl.
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/field/

if so, what was teh experience like?

Some of the residents and attendings at UT-H do something like this in South/Central America (I forget where, had the talk about back in August) and they showed pics of the "OR" (was a 10x10 room more or less) and mostly pics of the patients. The equipment and meds were primarily from donation and typically were meds that had passed the "one year expiration". I can't recall the equpiment per se, they didn't have as many toys but they took some of the scopes with them, etc (so not much to add here, sorry). They stayed about a week, all volunteer basis and worked with surgeons from various US locales.