Anesthesiology intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BicsRock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I was wondering how best to prepare for the intern categorical year whereby required off-service rotations are prescribed for you. For example, as an Anesthesiology intern, I would feel a bit intimidated (and maybe unprepared) to jump into transplant surgery, peds surgery, ENT, vascular surgery etc rotations...

Any good books to read for the aforementioned rotations, for example? Or is much of it learned "on the job?" Because I don't want to simply be a warm body on these off-service rotations; rather, I want to be a competent individual that contributes...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

on the job

worst part of residency for me was an intern year that demanded you rotate off-service for 9 of the 12 months. the ICU months werent so bad, since so much of that carries over from unit to unit, but going from adult cardiology to peds GI to ER to general medical wards to ENT was a challenge, for sure. no resource will be of much benefit, outside of a general "how to be an intern" handbook, which are fairly ubiquitous.