Anesthesiology Interview attires? And dinner attires

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If we wear a suit, does it matter what type of suit we wear?? (regular, fitted, slim fit, etc).
And for ties, does it matter if its regular wide tie vs slim??
Are we expected to wear a watch or can we just wear nothing on our wrists??

What about pre interview dinner attire?? If we live in the same city do they expect us to go to dinner. I know they say it doesn't matter, but is that actually true?

Members don't see this ad.

Wear a quality conservative black/charcoal/navy business suit that fits you well. If striped, the stripes should be thin. Have the suit adjusted by a tailor if needed. The tie should be regular wide, conservative again. If you have somebody to make a Windsor knot for you, ask him/her. You want to look like a doctor, a professional, not like a teenager. You don't have to wear a watch, and make sure your phone is completely silent, not even on vibration. Ideally, you should leave it at home or in airplane mode.

Wear a good quality, hard to wrinkle, well-fitting white dress shirt. Go to a Jos A Bank store, ask them to measure your shirt size and fit (regular vs. tailored), and buy a couple of pinpoint solid white, point collar or spread collar (the latter is more classical and elegant), shirts from their Traveler's collection (they are 3 for $99 now, worth every penny - they can be ironed perfectly by any amateur in 2 minutes, and are mostly wrinkle free while being 100% cotton).

For the pre-interview dinner, dress casually (pants and shirt, maybe a blazer/cardigan or sweater), but much closer to business casual than to a dinner with friends (no jeans, no sneakers etc.). I would not wear a tie. You could use a button-down traveler's dress shirt (choose a beautiful non-solid color one, one that could pass both as dress shirt and as casual) that you buy as part of the 3 for 99 above.

This
is the shirt collection I am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jos. A. Bank is pretty good. Signature gold works well, but traveller is good too. I had some Hickey Freeman hand-me-downs as backups, but I think those cost more. Look up what the President wears (as far as color, fit, etc.--except for that one press conf. where he wore a tan suit) and go with that. Look up debate photos. Get a tailor to shorten the sleeves, but if you are relatively normally proportioned you probably won't need to do any major overhauls. Make sure you remove the labels and cut out the threads holding coattail vents. I know that's common-sense, but every year I see people with tailoring threads still in place.

My favorite shirts are Charles Tyrwitt white. Non-iron slim fit looks really good and is sparkling white. I wouldn't wear any other color. They also give brass collar stays that you can give a nice slight bend to the collar. I wore mostly French cuff. Classic fit looks too puffy so try to at least get a 'slim fit'. Even if you are a bit overweight still better. They are the best non-wrinkle I've tried that look great even at the end of the day (and I've bought literally dozens of white shirts--mostly Lands End in the past).

Ties--go with Tie bar dot com. I had this stunning pink & sky blue tie that I had people at three different places ask and write down where they could get one. It's also only $15 compared to brooks brothers $75. No skinny ties. Blues, and reds are pretty standard.

Also, get a 3/4 wool winter overcoat that you can wear both with casual jeans (a couple of my interviews were pretty casual barbecue-style) or with a sharp business suit. Again, Jos A Bank is your friend for quality inexpensive overcoats. Those full-length black ones look a little too formal on planes and at dinner.

I would wear a white shirt. You never know if you will get too nervous or the room will be hot, and you have some visible sweat marks.

Last edited:
I agree with the above.

For suits and ties, fit is probably more important than the style. As long as the suit looks good on you, it should be safe to wear. That said, keep it neutral. Remember that you want them to remember you for who you are and not your clothes. Watch/no-watch is a matter of personal preference, but I would keep other excessive jewelry (i.e. piercings) conservative. You're going to come across plenty of old-guard docs who might judge you for anything too exotic.

For the pre-interview dinner, I would plan on a casual attire unless otherwise specified. I won't hold it against an applicant who shows up in a collared shirt and khaki's or jeans. That said, I would assume that every pre-interview dinner is part of the interview process. Don't wear anything you wouldn't wear in front of the attendings on a social occasion.

Jos. A. Bank is pretty good. Signature gold works well, but traveller is good too. I had some Hickey Freeman hand-me-downs as backups, but I think those cost more. Look up what the President wears (as far as color, fit, etc.--except for that one press conf. where he wore a tan suit) and go with that. Look up debate photos. Get a tailor to shorten the sleeves, but if you are relatively normally proportioned you probably won't need to do any major overhauls. Make sure you remove the labels and cut out the threads holding coattail vents. I know that's common-sense, but every year I see people with tailoring threads still in place.

My favorite shirts are Charles Tyrwitt white. Non-iron slim fit looks really good and is sparkling white. I wouldn't wear any other color. They also give brass collar stays that you can give a nice slight bend to the collar. I wore mostly French cuff. Classic fit looks too puffy so try to at least get a 'slim fit'. Even if you are a bit overweight still better. They are the best non-wrinkle I've tried that look great even at the end of the day (and I've bought literally dozens of white shirts--mostly Lands End in the past).

Ties--go with Tie bar dot com. I had this stunning pink & sky blue tie that I had people at three different places ask and write down where they could get one. It's also only $15 compared to brooks brothers $75. No skinny ties. Blues, and reds are pretty standard.

Also, get a 3/4 wool winter overcoat that you can wear both with casual jeans (a couple of my interviews were pretty casual barbecue-style) or with a sharp business suit. Again, Jos A Bank is your friend for quality inexpensive overcoats. Those full-length black ones look a little too formal on planes and at dinner.

http://www.thetiebar.com/product/34405
that tie?

Can anyone weigh in on the same question for females?

Particularly:
Pants vs. skirts - leaning toward pants because you'll never know when they want you to go into the OR.
Blouses to go with suits - classic button down like the guys vs. a nice blouse.
Pre-interview dinner attire - dresses vs formal slacks/shirt.

Last edited:
Pants vs. skirts...either is fine. You are correct, you may have to get into a bunny suit, so pants may be better. (Or you can always ask at the time of the invitation, if you will be getting suited up). A nice blouse is fine, most ladies seem to go with "pretty colors" instead of the white that the guys prefer. Do consider that some places have dress codes about sleeveless tops; it is best to make sure your blouse has at least a cap sleeve. But a suit does look nicer than just a "sunday best" dress. Neutral hose. For the dinner attire, same for the guys...business casual. no ripped jeans and t-shirts.

What not to wear: Red suit with mini-skirt that barely covers, black blouse, black stockings, red patent leather 5" spike heels, and enough jewelry to sink a boat.

Saw that years ago, and she is still talked about. And no, she did not match.

Pants vs. skirts...either is fine. You are correct, you may have to get into a bunny suit, so pants may be better. (Or you can always ask at the time of the invitation, if you will be getting suited up). A nice blouse is fine, most ladies seem to go with "pretty colors" instead of the white that the guys prefer. Do consider that some places have dress codes about sleeveless tops; it is best to make sure your blouse has at least a cap sleeve. But a suit does look nicer than just a "sunday best" dress. Neutral hose. For the dinner attire, same for the guys...business casual. no ripped jeans and t-shirts.

What not to wear: Red suit with mini-skirt that barely covers, black blouse, black stockings, red patent leather 5" spike heels, and enough jewelry to sink a boat.

Saw that years ago, and she is still talked about. And no, she did not match.

:smack: I totally didn't think about the whole bunny suit issue. Would it be impossible to wear one over a skirt? The suit I have and love is a skirt suit. I'm not very tall so I doubt the bunny suit would pull it up that high but still...

Put on your skirt and put on a pair of larger pants over it (borrow a pair from a bigger male friend). There's the lower half of your bunny suit. Do you like it? ;)

Put on your skirt and put on a pair of larger pants over it (borrow a pair from a bigger male friend). There's the lower half of your bunny suit. Do you like it? ;)

I purchased a pant suit that would make Hillary Clinton proud. Goodbye vacation money, we could have had so much fun together. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Jos A Bank? Black suit? Wow the stereotype that doctors don't know how to dress is true....

Here is better advice:
For a first suit of good quality that won't break the bank, go to www.suitsupply.com. Get a solid navy suit. It will last you 10 years. Next, get 2 shirts from www.propercloth.com, solid white and solid blue. White to the interview, blue to the dinner. Next get a tie from www.tiebar.com. Finally, get a belt and shoes from Allen Edmonds. For the dinner, don't wear the tie or the suit jacket.

Ok, presentation is EVERYTHING. Yes, you aren't being graded on your clothes but how you look will create subconscious judgement unto yourself.

Suit: DO NOT WEAR BLACK. Black is for funerals. The most conservative colors are Charcoal, Gray and Navy blue. Go to Macy's for a suit and GET THAT SUIT TAILORED. Seriously, the best weapon you can have for a suit is having it properly tailored to fit you. Stores like Men's Warehouse or Jos A Banks, while affordable, have crappy tailors. Definitely do not skimp on the tailoring. Also, make sure the suit isn't too wrinkled. When traveling, fold it up. Do not wear the suit jacket while traveling if you can avoid it. If you can, the night before, hang up the suit in your bathroom while you shower to let it steam a bit.

Here is a great youtube video on folding your suit:

If the suit is tailored properly, the shoulders and chest area should be snug. The abdomen area should taper to a "V" shape. The sleeves should come just to the wrist. The pants should not be baggy and the ends of the legs should JUST cover the shoes.

Shirt: Non iron, slim fit shirts are the best. I LOVE Brooks Brothers for this. I highly suggest light blue or white for dressing noobs, they are the most versatile with almost any suit. A solid pattern is also the EASIEST to match with a tie. You can't go wrong with a nice solid, light colored shirt. That kind of shirt will allow you to pick out a strong matching tie easily. Other colors to consider, light purple, pink, green (for gray suits), yellow (for brown suits). Also, make sure you IRON that shirt the night before; UNLESS it is a non-iron shirt. Do not iron non-iron shirts. You will ruin that thing that makes it a non-iron shirt. Those are meant to be hang dried.

Tie: I hate ties with gimicky patterns them (i.e. chili peppers, whales, horses etc). The pattern should be simple and non comical!
The biggest error I see is color. Here is a VERY simple rule to follow: a color on the tie should match with the color of your shirt. Generally the lightest color of your tie is the easiest to choose from. This will allow a good contrast of the darker colors to stand out.
Pattern: Don't try anything too crazy. This is why I recommend a solid shirt. The pattern of the shirt should not be exactly the same as the pattern of the tie. i.e. the stripes shouldn't be the same size, nor should they be going the same direction. Solid ties and solid shirts kind of scream formal dinner parties but it may work.

Belt: Just follow the age old rule- the belt color should match the shoe color.

Shoes: The bane of my existence when I was researching this stuff. I still have a hard time explaining it and it is more of a "when I see it, I'll know if it works" sort of situation. Here is a very simple guide: http://imgur.com/GYOyA

Pocket Square: Lose it unless you are 100% confident about wearing one.

Tie clip: I always wore a tie chain. I felt like this set me apart very subtlety from other applications. Very few people wore this. I always joked that it was my "bling."

Though it seems daunting, it's not that hard to dress as a man (I have no comments for women, sorry!). I am no dressing guru but a little bit of research and I was able to learn at least the basic rules. I was even able to take the ideas into my regular day dressing and start dressing better in real life.

Look at this: http://imgur.com/gallery/tu7yM
Read some askmen.com or GQ.

Good luck!

PS: Dinner attire: no one really cares as long as you are covered and don't smell.

I agree with the above.

For suits and ties, fit is probably more important than the style. As long as the suit looks good on you, it should be safe to wear. That said, keep it neutral. Remember that you want them to remember you for who you are and not your clothes. Watch/no-watch is a matter of personal preference, but I would keep other excessive jewelry (i.e. piercings) conservative. You're going to come across plenty of old-guard docs who might judge you for anything too exotic.

For the pre-interview dinner, I would plan on a casual attire unless otherwise specified. I won't hold it against an applicant who shows up in a collared shirt and khaki's or jeans. That said, I would assume that every pre-interview dinner is part of the interview process. Don't wear anything you wouldn't wear in front of the attendings on a social occasion.

This. It has to fit.

As far as the pre-interview dinner, it all depends on the location. If they are taking you to a nice steakhouse, dress appropriately. Jeans are typically fine if they are really dark, fit well and are paired with a nice collared shirt. That being said, it's hard to underdress in either occasion.

Ok, presentation is EVERYTHING. Yes, you aren't being graded on your clothes but how you look will create subconscious judgement unto yourself.

Suit: DO NOT WEAR BLACK. Black is for funerals. The most conservative colors are Charcoal, Gray and Navy blue. Go to Macy's for a suit and GET THAT SUIT TAILORED. Seriously, the best weapon you can have for a suit is having it properly tailored to fit you. Stores like Men's Warehouse or Jos A Banks, while affordable, have crappy tailors. Definitely do not skimp on the tailoring. Also, make sure the suit isn't too wrinkled. When traveling, fold it up. Do not wear the suit jacket while traveling if you can avoid it. If you can, the night before, hang up the suit in your bathroom while you shower to let it steam a bit.

Here is a great youtube video on folding your suit:

If the suit is tailored properly, the shoulders and chest area should be snug. The abdomen area should taper to a "V" shape. The sleeves should come just to the wrist. The pants should not be baggy and the ends of the legs should JUST cover the shoes.

Shirt: Non iron, slim fit shirts are the best. I LOVE Brooks Brothers for this. I highly suggest light blue or white for dressing noobs, they are the most versatile with almost any suit. A solid pattern is also the EASIEST to match with a tie. You can't go wrong with a nice solid, light colored shirt. That kind of shirt will allow you to pick out a strong matching tie easily. Other colors to consider, light purple, pink, green (for gray suits), yellow (for brown suits). Also, make sure you IRON that shirt the night before; UNLESS it is a non-iron shirt. Do not iron non-iron shirts. You will ruin that thing that makes it a non-iron shirt. Those are meant to be hang dried.

Tie: I hate ties with gimicky patterns them (i.e. chili peppers, whales, horses etc). The pattern should be simple and non comical!
The biggest error I see is color. Here is a VERY simple rule to follow: a color on the tie should match with the color of your shirt. Generally the lightest color of your tie is the easiest to choose from. This will allow a good contrast of the darker colors to stand out.
Pattern: Don't try anything too crazy. This is why I recommend a solid shirt. The pattern of the shirt should not be exactly the same as the pattern of the tie. i.e. the stripes shouldn't be the same size, nor should they be going the same direction. Solid ties and solid shirts kind of scream formal dinner parties but it may work.

Belt: Just follow the age old rule- the belt color should match the shoe color.

Shoes: The bane of my existence when I was researching this stuff. I still have a hard time explaining it and it is more of a "when I see it, I'll know if it works" sort of situation. Here is a very simple guide: http://imgur.com/GYOyA

Pocket Square: Lose it unless you are 100% confident about wearing one.

Tie clip: I always wore a tie chain. I felt like this set me apart very subtlety from other applications. Very few people wore this. I always joked that it was my "bling."

Though it seems daunting, it's not that hard to dress as a man (I have no comments for women, sorry!). I am no dressing guru but a little bit of research and I was able to learn at least the basic rules. I was even able to take the ideas into my regular day dressing and start dressing better in real life.

Look at this: http://imgur.com/gallery/tu7yM
Read some askmen.com or GQ.

Good luck!

PS: Dinner attire: no one really cares as long as you are covered and don't smell.

what is a good place to get suits tailored?

For everyone, guys and girls: No matter what you choose to wear, make sure it fits, and you are comfortable in it. If you are constantly tugging, pulling, straightening because it is too tight, loose, too short or long, then don't wear it. When you are all fidgetity, it can be off-putting, and make the interviewer think you are bored or disinterested. I definitely echo the sentiments above: if you can't wear off the rack well, then get it tailored to fit correctly. (And I think about 90% of everyone does NOT wear off the rack well)

Reactions: 1 user