Anesthesiology job interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteorgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finally finishing my residency and in the process of looking for jobs. I'm going in for an interview in couple weeks and I was wondering what the interview process is like??

Is it like residency/med school where they can ask you situational questions (tell me when you experienced such and such and how you overcame it, etc)? I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to be preparing for it?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what kind of job for which you are interviewing. If it is for a AMC, you may have some HR type person asking you behavioral related questions for a portion of the interview. However, i heard this is fairly uncommon overall. All 3 of my job interviews (for a private practice position) felt more like a shadowing experience throughout the day where i followed a partner or 2 around for most of the day and met as many people as i could, talked with surgeons, met with the group president/chair, etc. This is a great opportunity to observe and make mental notes... 2 of the interviews involved a dinner with several of the partners which still felt fairly casual where they asked me mostly questions about personal interests and to see if i would be a good fit for the area/practice.

I would say wear a suit (even if they have you change into scrubs) because you are a professional interviewing for a professional job. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the practice style, supervision vs. solo %, case variety, group stability, relationships with surgeons. Be yourself! The questions about call frequency, salary, post call work, etc are important too but i chose to ask many of these after the actual interview day via email correspondence when i decided i liked a certain group.

good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Private practice: My day was much more relaxed and informal than a residency/med school interview. Almost immediately changed into scrubs, had a 10-15 minute sitdown with the chair of the group, the rest was him taking me around and allowing me to talk to as many people in the group as possible. It was great, was able to ask everyone how they liked the group, were they happy, etc. honestly it felt more like i was interviewing them and the other way around.

I'm sure there will be differences between academic and PP, but realize youre more than some body in the OR. If its academics be prepared to talk about how you will teach residents, prepare lectures, research etc.... The first thing the chair asked was how would i contribute outside the operating room. Luckily I was a chief so i talked about all the meetings i attended for the program, making call schedules etc....

Also be prepared to ask questions you wouldnt ask at a residency interview. Pay, time to partner, vacay, CME, non competes, 401k matching and vesting, etc... Some of these are appropriate to ask a doc, others you can ask HR

If they offered you an interview they likely already think your training is appropriate so I wouldnt worry about that. More than likely theyre trying to make sure youre a good fit for the group. Think about why that practice, why that location. It costs a lot of money to hire someone, im sure most groups want someone thats going to be there for the long haul

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar experience. I only did 3 interviews but each was basically “so here’s the job...tell us what you decide”. My friends’ experiences were similar. Most of the time if you’re being interviewed you’re essentially in.

It depends on what kind of job for which you are interviewing. If it is for a AMC, you may have some HR type person asking you behavioral related questions for a portion of the interview. However, i heard this is fairly uncommon overall. All 3 of my job interviews (for a private practice position) felt more like a shadowing experience throughout the day where i followed a partner or 2 around for most of the day and met as many people as i could, talked with surgeons, met with the group president/chair, etc. This is a great opportunity to observe and make mental notes... 2 of the interviews involved a dinner with several of the partners which still felt fairly casual where they asked me mostly questions about personal interests and to see if i would be a good fit for the area/practice.

I would say wear a suit (even if they have you change into scrubs) because you are a professional interviewing for a professional job. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the practice style, supervision vs. solo %, case variety, group stability, relationships with surgeons. Be yourself! The questions about call frequency, salary, post call work, etc are important too but i chose to ask many of these after the actual interview day via email correspondence when i decided i liked a certain group.

good luck!

This is a good post.
I strongly agree with not being too eager with the financial questions- obviously you need to know that, but wait. We always bring it up proactively later in the day at dinner. Also, asking too early or eagerly about how much time you will have off, sick time, out times, etc. Makes you seem like a slacker. I’ve said this before on this forum with mixed feedback but I’m telling you, we have passed on people who came right out of the gate asking about if we can accommodate them for personal issues. Again, something you need to get a sense for, but seeming too eager about it has raised red flags with us.

In my opinion, salary/time off/schedule/partner specifics should be discussed on the phone or by email before. At the very latest early in the interview day. I get it's a "taboo" subject, but if an interviewee is sitting around trying to figure out how difficult the job is or in the dark about how their life is going to look, it's going to be hard to relax. This board has mixed feelings on that topic though.

As far as interview questions, my experience has been a very relaxed atmosphere with people trying to sell you on the job. I had one interviewer who was incredibly off-putting and tried asking me questions about why I chose to do anesthesia and subsequently critical care. As if that makes a difference at this point.

In my opinion, salary/time off/schedule/partner specifics should be discussed on the phone or by email before. At the very latest early in the interview day. I get it's a "taboo" subject, but if an interviewee is sitting around trying to figure out how difficult the job is or in the dark about how their life is going to look, it's going to be hard to relax. This board has mixed feelings on that topic though.

As far as interview questions, my experience has been a very relaxed atmosphere with people trying to sell you on the job. I had one interviewer who was incredibly off-putting and tried asking me questions about why I chose to do anesthesia and subsequently critical care. As if that makes a difference at this point.

"Why anesthesia? Why Harard?"

"Why are you interviewing if you're a lazy f?"

I’ve had one they literally don’t say anything over the phone. It was a tough interview. They are considered premier group around the area. So maybe they feel they have the right to do so.

Obviously, didn’t end up there. Life is too short to be waiting for a partnership track spot that may or may not open in a year or two. Then wait 5 years for partnership vote that may or may not work in my favorite. They did pay for my lunch at the cafeteria... so I guess that count for something. ;)

Range from 200s-700s+.

Stole this from a thread on here way back when. Was super helpful when I was interviewing.

Anesthesia Private Practice Primer

Employment Models

-Employee: of the hospital, of the private group? Someone is almost assuredly making money off of your work. How are you paid? Salary? Hourly? Are your hours/responsibilities well defined or vague? Is everyone in the department an employee, or are there partners? Does everyone get paid the same? Mommy track/part time available?

-Employee with production: base salary plus production bonus (with either private group or hospital employment)

-Partnership track: how long? Is there a cash buy-in? Who decides (and what determines) if you become a partner? Are all partners equal (in salary, vacation, benefits, case mix, schedule, call schedule, voting rights)? What is the track record of the group with regards to making people partners? Lots of “two years and out” people in their history?

-Locums

-Solo Practitioner

Compensation

-Money: Salary? Hourly wage? Salary plus production? 100% production? Profit sharing? Is it equal? 1099 vs W2?

-Models:

-Straight salary

-Straight hourly wage

-Salary plus production (how is this calculated?)

-100% production aka “eat what you kill” (how is this calculated-units, hours? Are the units blended? Who makes the schedule?)

-Equal split of profits (everyone gets paid the same, but it varies each month depending on how much was billed. Does everyone do the same amount of work/hours/case mix?)

-Are there stipends for call, backup call, subgroup call, etc.

Benefits:

-insurance (malpractice, disability, life, health, dental, umbrella)

who covers malpractice tail/nose?

-Retirement-vehicles, time to 100% vesting, matching, profit sharing

-Vacation-how much? How chosen/assigned? How taken (i.e. day by day, hourly, week at a time)?

-Business expenses (licensing/DEA, society memberships/journal subscriptions, travel, CME, moving expenses, interview expenses, cell phone/internet, etc)-are they covered/reimbursed?

-Leave (maternity, FMLA, disability, sick days, personal emergencies)-how is it handled?

Practice Models

-MD only

-Medical direction of midlevels (AA, CRNA)

-meets the 7 criteria for med direction: pre-op eval, anesthetic plan, present for critical portions (induction, procedures, emergence, etc), immediately available, physically present for emergencies, monitor case at frequent intervals, post op care

-max 4:1 ratio

-reimbursed 50% of billing

-Medical supervision of midlevels

-does not meet the 7 criteria listed above, or participating in > 4 cases simultaneously

-reimbursed at lower rate

-“Collaborative” (side-by-side practice) with midlevels (who gets what cases and who decides this? Do you help each other out with emergencies? What is your liability for their cases? Is the surgeon “supervising” the midlevel (i.e. is this an opt-out state?)

Clinical Practice:

-Sites: how many? Do you practice at all of them? What kinds (hospital, office, ASC, pain clinic, ICU)? Does everybody practice everywhere? Are some sites “cushier” than others? Who decides who practices where?

-Case mix: General, OB, peds, CV, regional, thoracic, vascular, neuro, trauma, out-of –OR (radiology, GI, ED, cath lab, etc), ICU, pain

-How many OR’s? How many procedures/year? How many deliveries?

-are there “sub-groups” within the group/department? Who decides who’s in each group? Do subgroups require fellowship/certification?

-Does everybody do everything? Are there enough cases of each type to keep everybody’s skills up (especially peds, CV, TEE, procedures)?

-Is there high risk OB? High risk peds? Complex CV cases?

-Can you do ICU or pain as well as anesthesia? Does the group control or have anything to do with this? Does the group run the ICU? Does the group run a pain clinic? If so, how do they value your ICU/pain time? Will you be a solo ICU or pain practitioner outside of the group? Will the hospital employ you directly for these things while you remain a part of the group?

-Coverage: what are you responsible for?

-OR hours: what are they? How late can they go? Who runs the OR schedule? How many rooms are you contracted for at specific times of the day? Can the surgeons schedule whatever they want whenever they want (i.e. 3 am lap chole, Sunday morning total knee, etc)? How are emergencies handled? When are midlevels always available (do you have to relieve them at 3 pm, are they in-house at night, etc)?

-Who covers ICU? Codes? Airways (ED, code, ICU, etc)?

-Do you cover a pain service? Acute/chronic? Consults?

-Anesthesia schedule:

-who makes it (same person every day, third party scheduler, different person everyday, etc)? What determines when you leave? Who picks what rooms/cases you do? Do you finish your room(s) no matter what? Do you hand off cases?

-Call: where (in-house, from home)? What kind (general, subgroup, backup)?

-MD only groups may have many people on call each night, depending on services provided, number of rooms they are contracted to cover, OB/trauma service, etc.

-Equipment: Does the hospital/group have the equipment you need to do your job? US? TEE? Airway carts/equipment? Specialized peds instruments? Does everything work? Who fixes equipment (and how available/reliable are they)? Is there an EMR? Anesthesia EMR?

-How does the group practice?

-Where did they train? Are they BC/BE? Are they fellowship-trained? Are they dangerous? Are they spread too thin?

-Do they help each other out? Cover for each other? Start rooms for each other? Respond to emergencies? See your pre/post-op patients?

-How’s their relationship with the surgeons? What happens if you cancel cases?

Contracts:

-Employment Contracts:

-Do you get one? What are your duties/responsibilities?

-Is everyone’s the same?

-Compensation/benefits-get specifics

-Leaving: when/why/how can you be fired or quit? Is there a minimum time you have to stay? How much notice do you have to give prior to leaving? Is there a non-compete clause (and is it binding or ever enforced)? If you got a sign-on bonus, do you have to pay it back? Do they have to warn you before terminating you? Is there probation/remediation? Can you be fired with/without cause? Who makes hiring/firing decisions and how are they made?

-Have an employment lawyer look it over. Money well spent.

-Hospital Contracts:

-does the group have them? What are the coverage responsibilities? Are they exclusive to your group (or do other groups also provide anesthesia services at your facililties)? How long have they been in place? Are multiple facilities’ contracts tied together or negotiated separately? How long are they for? Who negotiates them for your group? Does the group contract with multiple hospital/clinic systems or just one? Does the group get a stipend from the hospital? If so, why and how much? Are there other anesthesia groups locally? How big are they? Do they get stipends? Do large anesthesia management companies (AMCs) provide anesthesia services locally?

Group Dynamics:

-Private Group: What is the group structure? Are their officers or an administrative board? How/how often are these selected? How are group decisions made (by officers, by full group vote, by board vote, by individuals, etc)? Who gets to vote (full partners, employees, locums)? Are there committees? Are you required to serve on them? How frequently does the group (or the board) meet? On a schedule, or only when they need to? How is discipline handled? Is the group collegial? Do they meet socially? How transparent is it? Can everyone see the books/schedule? Is the schedule flexible? Do partners work for each other? How is this reimbursed (fixed rate, personal negotiations, etc)?

-What is the relationship with midlevels (employed, subcontracted, hospital-employed, private group, etc)? Is it collegial/professional/adversarial/hostile?

Reactions: 6 users
Stole this from a thread on here way back when. Was super helpful when I was interviewing.

Anesthesia Private Practice Primer

Employment Models

-Employee: of the hospital, of the private group? Someone is almost assuredly making money off of your work. How are you paid? Salary? Hourly? Are your hours/responsibilities well defined or vague? Is everyone in the department an employee, or are there partners? Does everyone get paid the same? Mommy track/part time available?

-Employee with production: base salary plus production bonus (with either private group or hospital employment)

-Partnership track: how long? Is there a cash buy-in? Who decides (and what determines) if you become a partner? Are all partners equal (in salary, vacation, benefits, case mix, schedule, call schedule, voting rights)? What is the track record of the group with regards to making people partners? Lots of “two years and out” people in their history?

-Locums

-Solo Practitioner

Compensation

-Money: Salary? Hourly wage? Salary plus production? 100% production? Profit sharing? Is it equal? 1099 vs W2?

-Models:

-Straight salary

-Straight hourly wage

-Salary plus production (how is this calculated?)

-100% production aka “eat what you kill” (how is this calculated-units, hours? Are the units blended? Who makes the schedule?)

-Equal split of profits (everyone gets paid the same, but it varies each month depending on how much was billed. Does everyone do the same amount of work/hours/case mix?)

-Are there stipends for call, backup call, subgroup call, etc.

Benefits:

-insurance (malpractice, disability, life, health, dental, umbrella)

who covers malpractice tail/nose?

-Retirement-vehicles, time to 100% vesting, matching, profit sharing

-Vacation-how much? How chosen/assigned? How taken (i.e. day by day, hourly, week at a time)?

-Business expenses (licensing/DEA, society memberships/journal subscriptions, travel, CME, moving expenses, interview expenses, cell phone/internet, etc)-are they covered/reimbursed?

-Leave (maternity, FMLA, disability, sick days, personal emergencies)-how is it handled?

Practice Models

-MD only

-Medical direction of midlevels (AA, CRNA)

-meets the 7 criteria for med direction: pre-op eval, anesthetic plan, present for critical portions (induction, procedures, emergence, etc), immediately available, physically present for emergencies, monitor case at frequent intervals, post op care

-max 4:1 ratio

-reimbursed 50% of billing

-Medical supervision of midlevels

-does not meet the 7 criteria listed above, or participating in > 4 cases simultaneously

-reimbursed at lower rate

-“Collaborative” (side-by-side practice) with midlevels (who gets what cases and who decides this? Do you help each other out with emergencies? What is your liability for their cases? Is the surgeon “supervising” the midlevel (i.e. is this an opt-out state?)

Clinical Practice:

-Sites: how many? Do you practice at all of them? What kinds (hospital, office, ASC, pain clinic, ICU)? Does everybody practice everywhere? Are some sites “cushier” than others? Who decides who practices where?

-Case mix: General, OB, peds, CV, regional, thoracic, vascular, neuro, trauma, out-of –OR (radiology, GI, ED, cath lab, etc), ICU, pain

-How many OR’s? How many procedures/year? How many deliveries?

-are there “sub-groups” within the group/department? Who decides who’s in each group? Do subgroups require fellowship/certification?

-Does everybody do everything? Are there enough cases of each type to keep everybody’s skills up (especially peds, CV, TEE, procedures)?

-Is there high risk OB? High risk peds? Complex CV cases?

-Can you do ICU or pain as well as anesthesia? Does the group control or have anything to do with this? Does the group run the ICU? Does the group run a pain clinic? If so, how do they value your ICU/pain time? Will you be a solo ICU or pain practitioner outside of the group? Will the hospital employ you directly for these things while you remain a part of the group?

-Coverage: what are you responsible for?

-OR hours: what are they? How late can they go? Who runs the OR schedule? How many rooms are you contracted for at specific times of the day? Can the surgeons schedule whatever they want whenever they want (i.e. 3 am lap chole, Sunday morning total knee, etc)? How are emergencies handled? When are midlevels always available (do you have to relieve them at 3 pm, are they in-house at night, etc)?

-Who covers ICU? Codes? Airways (ED, code, ICU, etc)?

-Do you cover a pain service? Acute/chronic? Consults?

-Anesthesia schedule:

-who makes it (same person every day, third party scheduler, different person everyday, etc)? What determines when you leave? Who picks what rooms/cases you do? Do you finish your room(s) no matter what? Do you hand off cases?

-Call: where (in-house, from home)? What kind (general, subgroup, backup)?

-MD only groups may have many people on call each night, depending on services provided, number of rooms they are contracted to cover, OB/trauma service, etc.

-Equipment: Does the hospital/group have the equipment you need to do your job? US? TEE? Airway carts/equipment? Specialized peds instruments? Does everything work? Who fixes equipment (and how available/reliable are they)? Is there an EMR? Anesthesia EMR?

-How does the group practice?

-Where did they train? Are they BC/BE? Are they fellowship-trained? Are they dangerous? Are they spread too thin?

-Do they help each other out? Cover for each other? Start rooms for each other? Respond to emergencies? See your pre/post-op patients?

-How’s their relationship with the surgeons? What happens if you cancel cases?

Contracts:

-Employment Contracts:

-Do you get one? What are your duties/responsibilities?

-Is everyone’s the same?

-Compensation/benefits-get specifics

-Leaving: when/why/how can you be fired or quit? Is there a minimum time you have to stay? How much notice do you have to give prior to leaving? Is there a non-compete clause (and is it binding or ever enforced)? If you got a sign-on bonus, do you have to pay it back? Do they have to warn you before terminating you? Is there probation/remediation? Can you be fired with/without cause? Who makes hiring/firing decisions and how are they made?

-Have an employment lawyer look it over. Money well spent.

-Hospital Contracts:

-does the group have them? What are the coverage responsibilities? Are they exclusive to your group (or do other groups also provide anesthesia services at your facililties)? How long have they been in place? Are multiple facilities’ contracts tied together or negotiated separately? How long are they for? Who negotiates them for your group? Does the group contract with multiple hospital/clinic systems or just one? Does the group get a stipend from the hospital? If so, why and how much? Are there other anesthesia groups locally? How big are they? Do they get stipends? Do large anesthesia management companies (AMCs) provide anesthesia services locally?

Group Dynamics:

-Private Group: What is the group structure? Are their officers or an administrative board? How/how often are these selected? How are group decisions made (by officers, by full group vote, by board vote, by individuals, etc)? Who gets to vote (full partners, employees, locums)? Are there committees? Are you required to serve on them? How frequently does the group (or the board) meet? On a schedule, or only when they need to? How is discipline handled? Is the group collegial? Do they meet socially? How transparent is it? Can everyone see the books/schedule? Is the schedule flexible? Do partners work for each other? How is this reimbursed (fixed rate, personal negotiations, etc)?

-What is the relationship with midlevels (employed, subcontracted, hospital-employed, private group, etc)? Is it collegial/professional/adversarial/hostile?
Thanks to @B-Bone, who wrote the list: what questions to ask when interview at jobs.

Reactions: 1 users