Anesthesiology PAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopy69

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you out there are AAs. If so....
-where did you go to school, and what was the schooling like?
-Once out of school, how was it trying to find a job?
-What are the normal salaries for an AA in hospitals and more private outpatient clinics?
-Does the future of the AA profession look promising (i.e. will CRNAs try to eliminate the AAs?)

Members don't see this ad.

51 views and no replies yet????

51 views and no replies yet????
Thats because nobody seems to know. An i guess AA's are busy to give us the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea anything about AA's. Sorry.
Pat

snoopy69 said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if any of you out there are AAs. If so....
-where did you go to school, and what was the schooling like?
-Once out of school, how was it trying to find a job?
-What are the normal salaries for an AA in hospitals and more private outpatient clinics?
-Does the future of the AA profession look promising (i.e. will CRNAs try to eliminate the AAs?)

I am currently a first year student in the Anesthesiology PA program at Emory University. Here is a quick answer to your questions. There are only two accredited programs, Emory and Case Western. There is a program starting in Savannah Ga that will be accredited in three years. This is the most demanding schedule and intense study load that I have ever heard about. Our classes are coupled with a "lot" of clinical hours in the OR. The job market is incredible and starting salaries range from 90K to 120K with good signing bonuses. I did a lot of research before comming to atlanta and I actually chose this career over medical school. As far as the AA vs CRNA issue, the discussion exists more in forums like this than in actual practice. With time, most states will open for AA's to work. For now, there are more jobs than AA's so there is no large scale push to lobby some of the legal issues in non-open states. You can be pretty selective about where and when you work. From my own experience, the only caution that I would give you is to be certain to know the difference b/t Doctors and PA's. This is a great job and a good living, but there are limits to both your salary and your position in the Anesthesia team. One of the most rewarding aspects is that you can leave work at work. There is less call to take and a more set work schedule. Overall, I'm happy with my decision. Good luck with yours.