This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveforscience64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a non-traditional student and I am looking to make a career change. I was looking into CRNA until I was introduced to AA and it seems to be a better fit my needs. I don’t have any debt and I am currently taking the prerequisites at a local university. Since I have already obtained a degree it would take me longer to be a nurse anesthesiologist than it would a anesthesiologist assistant and I am an older applicant. Being called an “assistant” does not bother me at all and I could care less about egos. I am aware that anesthesiologist assistants have a limitation of states they are allowed to practice in but this does not bother me since I was already interested in relocating to a few of those states anyway. I know anesthesiologist assistants get a lot of push back from nurse anesthesiologist but I don’t see why they can’t work together and be respectful towards each other. Would it be better for me financially to go to AA school or should I consider CRNA school? I am working as a phlebotomist and it seems like a hassle for me to get another bachelors, gain icu experience, and apply to CRNA school. I would like to get some good advice without any bashing or disrespect towards either profession!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m a nurse practitioner. I have friends who are CRNAs. It’s a fairly long route, even at its fastest. If you are comfortable with the states that AAs practice in, then that could be a good option. I would find it restrictive to be limited in what state I could work in, but I’ll probably always practice in the state I’m in, so the concept of that limited practice environment is one that I’m already essentially living by choice. Apparently they make similar wages to CRNAs, and I honestly would have considered it myself at one point. Critical care experience is quite helpful. As an RN, working with mental health patients made a big difference in my success as a psyche NP. I hate to paint everything with a broad brush, though, because not everyone’s critical care experiences are the same. AAs are supervised by default, so there’s a net there as well. Just understand that AA school is spendy, and you are locked in. However, so is CRNA. Not many CRNAs would ever consider going back to bedside nursing, even for the $5500 per week travel gigs these days, so they are kind of locked in too.

Reactions: 1 user
Do a search on youtube and you'll find many videos discussing these two paths.

A lot of stuff that don't seem to matter right now might in the future. Most students have no idea about the benefits of full practice authority until they start working in the field. Just something to consider before spending the money on a degree that has a relatively high level of inflexibility.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are ok with the state limitations, then AA can be a great option. I wouldn't worry too much about the pushback or hostility that some CRNAs have toward AAs. I know there are some places where AAs and CRNAs have some tension, but it really isn't too hard to find a place where they all get along ( you will get a feel for how the AA/CRNA relations are at places when you rotate there).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I just graduated AA school a few months ago

Reactions: 1 users