Anesthesiology Question Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamMachine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not own any question books. I was wondering what the best question books are, not including the ancient ASA exams. Is that MGH book any good?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
chantigan and hall book as well as review of clinical anesthesia are the two best ? books-I have found that the MGH book has some errors in it as well as the depth is somewhat lacking with the questions in the mgh book-another good book for oral board questions is by yao and artusio-hope this helps

DreamMachine said:
I do not own any question books. I was wondering what the best question books are, not including the ancient ASA exams. Is that MGH book any good?

Hall, I agree with the errors in the MGH book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hall is a good one. Medtext offers some question texts as well and they have some of the new format questions. The MGH book has questions that are NOT even close to being equivalent in level of difficulty to actual board questions. If you read that book, you could be lulled into a false sense of security.

What MGH Question book are you guys referring to? Does the handbook have questions?

Thanks

I assume Gern refers to the Appleton and Lange MGH book by Dershwitz. I concur...too simplistic, and some of the explanations are just simply wrong. The question book that comes with the new Barash (Review of clinical anesthesia, Connelly/Silverman) is very good but the questions are few.

The ASA only offers full ITE exams for sale ($10) up to 1994. I realize that the board questions lag a bit (i.e. methoxyflurane, copper kettles) but is it worth looking at 13 year old tests? It also says "Answer keys are available for all examinations" but doesn't specify where. I assume the answer keys come with explanations. Can anyone shed some light?

Yes, that is the one I was speaking of(Derschwitz). A&L also makes another one that looks very similar to that one and I think is about the same in quality and lack of depth. Both are unrelated to the Mass General Handbooks which I believe are very good.