Anesthesiology Residencies - YOUR opinion

Started by Buckeyedoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Buckeyedoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought it would be nice to have a review forum for those of you who have CONSTRUCTIVE things to say (good and bad) about programs you have experienced.
I thought I would start by offering a list of each region's programs so that the med students considering anesthesiology could get real feedback on each.

Let's start with the New England Region - please comment about helpful good and bad points about each if you truely have first hand experience. Comment on any or all that you would like. - Good luck future anesthesiologists.......

CONN
1. U Conn
2. Yale New Haven

Maine
1.Maine Medical Ctr

Mass
1. Boston U
2. Beth Israel
3. Brigham and Women's
4. St Elizabeth's
5. Mass General
6. Tufts/NEMC
7. U Mass (Worcester)
8. Baystate

New Hampshire
1. Dartmouth

Vermont
1. Univesity of Vermont
 
Here's a quick rundown, but you really should do a search on here for the best info. I interviewed at some of these so here's my opinion.

CONN
1. U Conn-Busy private practice setting, not an academic group per se, but private attendings. Nice hospital setting, residents seemed pretty happy overall.
2. Yale New Haven

Maine
1.Maine Medical Ctr- A hidden gem, but a small program. Good caseload for a small area. Peds, including hearts are covered. I did a rotation here and liked it a lot. Again, private attendings but they are pretty into teaching.

Mass
1. Boston U-
2. Beth Israel- Can't really beat this one except for #5.
3. Brigham and Women's See #2. If you're splitting hairs on where to rank BI, Brigham and MGH, congratulations!
4. St Elizabeth's
5. Mass General-If you get an interview, take it, rank it number one. You won't find any better in the world. Nuff said.
6. Tufts/NEMC-I matched there, so I liked it. Positives for me were small program, enough good cases, happy residents, nice schedule. Enough transplants as well. Didactics are good for great board pass rates. Negatives- You go to Providence for trauma and Lahey clinic for SICU, BID for pain. Definately overshadowed by the other programs in Boston, but the big 3 pretty much overshadow every program in the country.
7. U Mass (Worcester)- I liked this one, but couldn't get past Worcester. Hospital is expanding.
8. Baystate- Nice hospital, area is not so hot. Solid program.

New Hampshire
1. Dartmouth

Vermont
1. Univesity of Vermont[/QUOTE]
 
2ndyear said:
Here's a quick rundown, but you really should do a search on here for the best info. I interviewed at some of these so here's my opinion.

CONN
1. U Conn-Busy private practice setting, not an academic group per se, but private attendings. Nice hospital setting, residents seemed pretty happy overall.
2. Yale New Haven

Maine
1.Maine Medical Ctr- A hidden gem, but a small program. Good caseload for a small area. Peds, including hearts are covered. I did a rotation here and liked it a lot. Again, private attendings but they are pretty into teaching.

Mass
1. Boston U-
2. Beth Israel- Can't really beat this one except for #5.
3. Brigham and Women's See #2. If you're splitting hairs on where to rank BI, Brigham and MGH, congratulations!
4. St Elizabeth's
5. Mass General-If you get an interview, take it, rank it number one. You won't find any better in the world. Nuff said.
6. Tufts/NEMC-I matched there, so I liked it. Positives for me were small program, enough good cases, happy residents, nice schedule. Enough transplants as well. Didactics are good for great board pass rates. Negatives- You go to Providence for trauma and Lahey clinic for SICU, BID for pain. Definately overshadowed by the other programs in Boston, but the big 3 pretty much overshadow every program in the country.
7. U Mass (Worcester)- I liked this one, but couldn't get past Worcester. Hospital is expanding.
8. Baystate- Nice hospital, area is not so hot. Solid program.

New Hampshire
1. Dartmouth

Vermont
1. Univesity of Vermont
[/QUOTE]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please comment on these programs with pertinent positive and negative feedback based on your experience. This thread should be used to help current and future applicants choose programs:

New Jersey


UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Camden) Program

St Barnabas Medical Center Program

UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Program

UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School Program

Mount Sinai School of Medicine (St Joseph's Regional Medical Center) Program


New York
Albany Medical Center Program

Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program

Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center Program

Maimonides Medical Center Program

New York Methodist Hospital Program

SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program

University at Buffalo Program

Nassau University Medical Center Program

Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program

New York Medical College at St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York Program

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program

New York University School of Medicine Program

St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program

University of Rochester Program

SUNY at Stony Brook Program

SUNY Upstate Medical University Program

New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center Program


Pennsylvania

Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program

Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann University Hospital Program

Temple University Hospital Program

Thomas Jefferson University Program

University of Pennsylvania Program

Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh Program

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Program

Western Pennsylvania Hospital/Temple University Program
 
Interview impressions only:

University of Rochester Program- Great program, top notch facilities and faculty. Happy residents that were quite strong.


SUNY Upstate Medical University Program- They work pretty hard here and have several weaknesses, namely peds and OB (Cincinnatti comes to mind as an off-service month). Residents worked a lot, I don't think they had any CRNA's to cover.




Pennsylvania

Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program- Great program. Awesome simulator, great happy residents, great program director. Beautiful hospital. Very tertiary care oriented in a rural location. Reminded me of UMich a lot in many ways, except Ann Arbor probably beats Hershey hands down as a place to live. Unfortunately, there just ain't much around there. But a great hotel they put you up in to interview at!


University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Program- Very large department and hospital. Definately no shortage of experiences there, every case seemed very well represented, from the community/urban hospital typical things, to transplants transplants transplants. Pittsburgh was nicer than I thought it would be too.
 
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Program- Very large department and hospital. Definately no shortage of experiences there, every case seemed very well represented, from the community/urban hospital typical things, to transplants transplants transplants. Pittsburgh was nicer than I thought it would be too.[/QUOTE]

Lots of different hospitals, easy program to get lost in if you're not the go getter type. Great regional and didactics and pretty much everything else. Great rep. in anesthesia circles. Not a bad schedule (not on call for 6mo.) Just instituted the 4 yr. program. Had high hopes for u pitt, but didn't get the feeling I was looking for. Ranked it #8

U Rochester on the other hand... I didn't know what to expect... I was very, very happy I applied there after doing the interview. Night float, great intern year (1 mo. of med wards/mostly consult months with a couple surg and a ICU month), no shortage of any cases 2/3 of hearts off pump, great regional, peds, new ICU's/OR's/OB floor, etc... new resident lounge, and great place to live. PD real nice guy and huge resident advocate (time off for step III, 4 weeks vacation, moonlighting, etc...)- be prepared to answer some med ?'s on the interview day. I suppose they just want to see how you think on your feet.
 
Probably one of the more laid-back programs. The only complaint is that their residency director is stepping down (also the chair). Not sure who will take his place, but the word is a guy who's nowhere near as cool may take those roles. Check around about that one...
 
I heard from a friend that University of New Mexico's program was filled primarily by carribean grads and FMG...corrent me if i am wrong...I also heard some bad things from U of Arkansas' program.. Anyone have any news about these programs?
 
OhMr.Greenfeld! said:
I heard from a friend that University of New Mexico's program was filled primarily by carribean grads and FMG...corrent me if i am wrong...I also heard some bad things from U of Arkansas' program.. Anyone have any news about these programs?

UNM:
I think there were lots of people from in-state there. Don't recall who were fmgs/imgs among the residents but there was only USIMG ,from a hungarian school, there for my interview day (bout 20 peeps). Not sure if that means anything. Of the 6-7 residents whom I spoke with the consesus was go to UNM for the outdoors and the general collegiate atmosphere among the anesthesia dept.

PD is about as chill as they get. Only PD that I thought was the ultimate master of chill was Dr. Albrecht at UIC.
 
OhMr.Greenfeld! said:
I heard from a friend that University of New Mexico's program was filled primarily by carribean grads and FMG...corrent me if i am wrong...I also heard some bad things from U of Arkansas' program.. Anyone have any news about these programs?

As far as New Mexico being primarily FMG's/carribean.... I wouldn't go that far, although I did meet some. I don't know why that matters. I did interview with them this last season and got the low down from one of the old timer doc's at the program. Basically, your training in hearts and neuro is very, very limited. In fact, most struggle to meet the numbers. On the flip side the regional experience is A++++. They have a brand new five star orthopod facility where you go around putting in blocks all day. One of their graduates started a regional service at a university hospital in LA a couple years back. Definately the highlight of the program. Lot's of mountains and outdoor stuff. Moonlighting also (but not great$ = 35/hr I think)