Anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got the august edition of anesthesiology, and there is a new article in there that specifically addresses what is most important matching into anesthesiology. It was quite surprising: Step 2 scores, graduating from a US school, and being female are most correlated with a successful match. Interesting read, but I don't know if the study can be applied to all residencies throughout the nation. See article here: http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiol...Looking_For___The_Question_of_Resident.6.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys for the help! I was happy to hear that anesthesia seems to be one of the more DO friendly specialties!

Naw you could probably get it because your step II is above 220 which seems to be a cutoff commonly used for interview. But from friends last year's experience you take it upon yourself to contact them and convince them to take the step II as your score that meets their cutoff.

My thoughts would be 75+ apps plus 10-15 interviews should give you a fighting chance but you should do at least two always and get LORS from them.

Anyone who went through last year have more info?

75+ apps is rather excessive if you're worried about your board scores. There aren't that many "low" or "mid" tier programs. If you're worried about your board scores (below 220 or 230 or whatever), then don't apply to prestigious or desired location programs (Hopkins, MGH, California, Colorado, Oregon, etc.).

Just keep in mind that a lot of programs look for reasons you might be interested in their program. Whether it be an area where you were born, worked, went to undergrad or went to medical school (all can be found on your ERAS app). Always worth expressing interest to the PD via an e-mail why you are interested in a specific program if you have no apparent ties to a region.

Members don't see this ad :)
75+ apps is rather excessive if you're worried about your board scores. There aren't that many "low" or "mid" tier programs. If you're worried about your board scores (below 220 or 230 or whatever), then don't apply to prestigious or desired location programs (Hopkins, MGH, California, Colorado, Oregon, etc.).

Just keep in mind that a lot of programs look for reasons you might be interested in their program. Whether it be an area where you were born, worked, went to undergrad or went to medical school (all can be found on your ERAS app). Always worth expressing interest to the PD via an e-mail why you are interested in a specific program if you have no apparent ties to a region.

True 75 apps is A LOT but if you have lower stats it seemed like the people last year who applied to 60+ programs were the ones who were able to yield 10 interviews and gave themselves a good chance at matching (particularly if they were DO). Sure there were plenty who maybe had 4 interviews and matched, but that's probably not the best route to follow.

How much is it to apply to 50+ programs anyways?

It's amazing the ways they find to squeeze money out of students these days.

True 75 apps is A LOT but if you have lower stats it seemed like the people last year who applied to 60+ programs were the ones who were able to yield 10 interviews and gave themselves a good chance at matching (particularly if they were DO). Sure there were plenty who maybe had 4 interviews and matched, but that's probably not the best route to follow.

How much is it to apply to 50+ programs anyways?

It's amazing the ways they find to squeeze money out of students these days.

After 30 its about 30 bucks a pop.

Is it after 30 or after 20? I thought I remembered the first 20 being "free" and then $30 for each one after.
No according to the eras site it is 92 for the first ten, for 11-20 its 9 each, 21-30 its 15 each, and 31+ its 25 each.

It was about $1200 to apply to 66 programs, if I recall. It isn't cheap, but like I said earlier in this thread, it's nothing to make sure your ludicrously expensive education is worthwhile.

How many programs do people usually apply to? Cause I talked to my advisor which is the chair of anesthesia at my school and he said for me to apply to 20-30 programs. My step 1 is in high 230s, I go to md school and my grades are average(HPs no honors). I was planning to apply to 30 programs but after reading this thread idk if I should apply to more and I didnt know the cost goes up after certain number which kinda makes me hesitant to apply to a lot of programs. I wanna end up either in west coast or east coast

How many programs do people usually apply to? Cause I talked to my advisor which is the chair of anesthesia at my school and he said for me to apply to 20-30 programs. My step 1 is in high 230s, I go to md school and my grades are average(HPs no honors). I was planning to apply to 30 programs but after reading this thread idk if I should apply to more and I didnt know the cost goes up after certain number which kinda makes me hesitant to apply to a lot of programs. I wanna end up either in west coast or east coast

I was told to not go over 30 programs and I am an average applicant. I think 50-60 is reasonable if you are below average.

It depends on the competitiveness of the 30 programs you apply to. A number of the east and west coast programs are pretty competitive (prob around 20 or so of them), so just make sure you throw in a fair number of average and safety programs.

You can also add on programs throughout the season, however it's much safer to just do them all in one shot at the beginning.

Last edited:
It depends on the competitiveness of the 30 programs you apply to. A number of the east and west coast programs are pretty competitive (prob around 20 or so of them), so just make sure you throw in a fair number of average and safety programs.

You can also add on programs throughout the season, however it's much safer to just do them all in one shot at the beginning.
So what programs do you consider avg or safety? I am having a hard time gauging that.......

So what programs do you consider avg or safety? I am having a hard time gauging that.......

Tough to say because everyone has their own opinions. However, I think it's relatively easier to say which ones are the very competitive ones, then from there the other programs fall on a wide spectrum of less competitive to safety. When I applied, I just went with what I thought/researched at the time and made my own designations.

hi everyone.. new to SDN so not sure where to post my question but this seems to be the most up to date thread about anesthesiology matching.
I'm a USIMG - scored 209 on step 1 (womp) and 248 on step 2.. Hope it helps out with my application, but how many programs should I aim for? Over 60?
thanks!