Angels and Donors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mustangsally65 said:
I think this thread was a great idea, because I didn't know much at all about donating, or that you could even donate. And I always wondered what the little angel smiley stood for. :D

Maybe it is solicitation, but it's the best kind of solicitation, and if it hadn't been in pre-allo I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:
Thanks so much!! Your donation is very much appreciated!! Glad to have you aboard. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Crake said:
Just think about how much your lousy pre-med advisor makes: $60K/yr? 75k? You're definitely paying him/her more than $20 a year!

Now, think about how much better SDN is than your premed advisor. If you had to choose between the two, who would you go with?

Enough said.
Thanks for donating, Crake!! I just wish I'd have had SDN back in the Medieval Era when I went to undergrad (96-00).

So I noticed and was told that as angel donors we get extra edit options. I attempted to edit one of MY threads (edit thread was a choice on a drop down menu which was a new option since becoming an angel donor) and this is the message i got:

"Psycho Doctor, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

So what's up with that???

Members don't see this ad :)
all of the mods and admins are cool to me...

so... I donated $7.50... I got cash, tons, especially after a free ride to UF. :p

btw...

ANGELS and DONORS need to have a special social forum!!!

Is that possible? :D

EvoDevo said:
Thanks for donating, Crake!! I just wish I'd have had SDN back in the Medieval Era when I went to undergrad (96-00).

Evo, if YOU'RE medieval, I must be prehistoric. :smuggrin: Heck, I had never even used the internet as a college student, although it had started to exist toward the end of my time in college. (I graduated in '97.) Anyway, I agree with you that SDN is awesome. :thumbup:

Don't worry about donating, if you're thinking about doing it....the hardest thing about it was trying to remember my bleeping paypal password. :p

Psycho Doctor said:
So I noticed and was told that as angel donors we get extra edit options. I attempted to edit one of MY threads (edit thread was a choice on a drop down menu which was a new option since becoming an angel donor) and this is the message i got:

"Psycho Doctor, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

So what's up with that???
I'll look into it. :)

QofQuimica said:
Evo, if YOU'RE medieval, I must be prehistoric. :smuggrin: Heck, I had never even used the internet as a college student, although it had started to exist toward the end of my time in college. (I graduated in '97.) Anyway, I agree with you that SDN is awesome. :thumbup:

Don't worry about donating, if you're thinking about doing it....the hardest thing about it was trying to remember my bleeping paypal password. :p
Hey ... the internet existed in '94.. I remember even then waisting hours and hours of valuable time on it.

amnesia said:
all of the mods and admins are cool to me...

so... I donated $7.50... I got cash, tons, especially after a free ride to UF. :p

btw...

ANGELS and DONORS need to have a special social forum!!!

Is that possible? :D
Uhhh....I dunno. Maybe.

QofQuimica said:

Glad to know that there'll be someone older than me in med school. :smuggrin:

:p

man... the Internet has been around since the early 70s...

the WWW came into existence somewhere around '92 with the mosaic browser... and then later mosaic killa... mozilla...

and then IE came out...

internet became mainstream around 1998... and has since been one of the biggest wastes of time.

there are some ppl who hover at one message board for hours, constantly refreshing the forums for new posts.

that's our Devo. :love:

Megalofyia said:
Hey ... the internet existed in '94.. I remember even then waisting hours and hours of valuable time on it.

I was in grad school by the time I started surfing the web, which was 1997. I did have an email account as a high school senior in 1992, but it was an experimental thing, and I only had it because I had spent the summer before my senior year at one of the state universities studying science and technology. No one else at my high school had one that I knew of except one other guy who attended that program with me. In college we had email but not through the web like now. You had to use telnet and memorize a whole bunch of commands. It was a long time ago. But I remember that one of the things you could do was "finger" other users. :p

EvoDevo said:
Glad to know that there'll be someone older than me in med school.

You know, I feel the same way whenever I start hearing about pre-meds who are in their late 30s and early 40s.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Glad to know that there'll be someone older than me in med school. :smuggrin:

:p
There is someone in their 50's in my class.

QofQuimica said:
But I remember that one of the things you could do was "finger" other users
hehe you said finger

My dad has always been really big into computers so I've been lucky to have been exposed to a lot of technology stuff pretty early on. I remember in highschool when we were learning typing on a type writter I was using a computer at home to type my homework out.

I had all of those telnet and vax commands memorized.. and I hated the mouse when it became mainstream. ;)

Hi folks! Since we have lots of new users to SDN thanks to the application cycle (welcome guys!), I thought that I'd repost this thread for your consideration. The reason that we're asking is that running SDN is expensive! For example:

Lee Burnett said:
The cost to operate SDN's servers and pay for bandwidth is high. For most of the day SDN does at least 2-3 Megabits of traffic every second (2-3 Mbps), with nearly 1 Terrabyte of information transferred every month. And, we continue to grow!
It gets insanely worse around April/August (MCAT) and July/October (MCAT scores), and every bit of your donation goes towards buying bandwidth and servers.

Also, none of the moderators or administrators receives any of this money. We're all volunteers. :oops:

No pressure, no pushing....of course, if y'all don't donate, the puppy gets it. :smuggrin:

dog_running.jpg

---------------------

I would like to encourage those who use SDN on a regular basis to become Angels or Donors. As you may already know, SDN is non-profit, and site operations and server space are paid for by these types of user donations. The more Angels and Donors we have, the better job we can do at expanding smoothly as the site grows.

Here are the perks of becoming a Donor/Angel
- PM inbox capacity increases to 250 messages
- maximum avatar size increases to 150x150 pixels
- increased upload quota
- user picture option enabled in profile
- ability to close your own threads
- Angels do not view the banner or text based advertisements
- Donors have access to their very own, private subforum

You can subscribe to become a donor for $7.50 or an Angel for $20. This subscription lasts for one year. If interested, please visit:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/subscriptions.php

EvoDevo said:
No pressure, no pushing....of course, if y'all don't donate, the puppy gets it. :smuggrin:

dog_running.jpg

---------------------
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the puppy!!! :smuggrin:

As an Angel, can I request that the puppy get it anyway?

liverotcod said:
As an Angel, can I request that the puppy get it anyway?
Only if we don't get enough new Angels to override you.

If you've donated, make sure you post in this thread. :D

EvoDevo said:
If you've donated, make sure you post in this thread. :D

newborn angel here :)

when will there be a big, gaudy $ icon for SDN tycoons

TheDarkSide said:
Count me as an angel vote for the pup getting what's coming to him. Mwahahaha. :smuggrin:
And another joins the club! Welcome!

Donors:

jtank (Angel)
TheDarkSide

Man, wanna know why the puppy's running?

5lz5nk

i just tried and it didn't work :(

What do you mean by it didn't work? It takes a couple of hours sometimes for the forums system to update & acknowlege the subscription so if you did the whole process & it just isn't showing up under your avatar yet, give it a little time. If it doesn't show up or if there is some other problem you can PM me. :)

another new angel here!

and btw, that puppy is the cutest damn thing i have ever seen. i want to squuuueeeeeze him!!!

note to EvoDevo: need to work on your photoshopping abilities.

If you are new and are applying this year I guarantee two things:

1) You will become an SDN junkie. Go ahead and make it your homepage.

2) You will get *a lot* more than $20 worth of information from this site.

lulubean said:
another new angel here!

and btw, that puppy is the cutest damn thing i have ever seen. i want to squuuueeeeeze him!!!
Yay! :clap:

jtank said:
note to EvoDevo: need to work on your photoshopping abilities.
Come one man, I did that in five minutes at work. :D

biendesalud said:
If you are new and are applying this year I guarantee two things:

1) You will become an SDN junkie. Go ahead and make it your homepage.

2) You will get *a lot* more than $20 worth of information from this site.
biendesalud, thank you SO MUCH for donating. It's donations like yours that help us provide the very best SDN experience that we can. :)

1) Yes indeed. It will happen.
2) Man, if that isn't the truth. I sometimes know more about things than my friends in med school who don't visit SDN.

ok. i just signed up through my husband's PayPal account.

i realized this morning that the first thing I do anytime i sit down at a computer is log into this page... eek. i thought i better donate.