animal experience for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyn11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, or if there's already been a thread about it, but here it goes:

I'm currently in my last year getting my MS in biology and would like to enter vet school. I'm also going to be 26 this year, so I would like to move this process along ASAP. The thing is that I don't have any kind of experience working with animals and can't get a recommendation from a vet, so I am thinking about taking a year off after I graduate to get some experience and taking just one or two missing prereqs.

I was hoping to volunteer somewhere this summer and apply for next year, but seeing as how applications are due very early, I doubt I can establish any kind of relationship with a vet and get his/her recommendation. I also would like to get some actual experience of course, and not just rush in and out somewhere just to get a letter. So, I've figured that I won't even start vet school until I'm 28, so I'm having pretty heavy anxiety about the age issue. I've read some posts about people in their 30s going to vet school, but most of them are making career changes, not first moves.

So I guess I have 2 questions: where do you recommend getting experience? I have to volunteer at some clinic of course, but I fear that I'll just be dusting floors and cleaning cages, and won't actually get to work with any vets. I also have a BS in biology (and will have MS soon), so I'm wondering if that qualifies me for anything else. I very honestly don't mind just cleaning cages, but I just wanted to see all the options, and I really need that recommendation from a vet - there I've said it!

The other question: What do you think the chances are of somebody with a MS getting into vet school? My undergrad GPA isn't really that high, maybe around a 3.4, and I got a 1320 on the general GRE. I also have another BS in engineering, if that means anything at all. I'd be entirely heartbroken if I spend so much time preparing and not even getting in - so feel free to be completely honest with me here.

So sorry if this was kind of long, and thank you so much for reading and offering any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The other question: What do you think the chances are of somebody with a MS getting into vet school? My undergrad GPA isn't really that high, maybe around a 3.4, and I got a 1320 on the general GRE. I also have another BS in engineering, if that means anything at all. I'd be entirely heartbroken if I spend so much time preparing and not even getting in - so feel free to be completely honest with me here.

So sorry if this was kind of long, and thank you so much for reading and offering any advice!

You are a good candidate. Two bachelors and a masters.....you will be fine. Honesty, don't worry about the age issue either, many of us are around your age and just starting vet school. Have your thought about actually applying for a job as a vet tech/assistant? Volunteering is great but you would be getting more experience as a tech. Also, what is you in-state school?

Hey cyn11! :welcome:

I'm a nontrad student, a little about me:
31yo, starting vet school this fall...and not a career change. Received non-thesis master's in lab animal science, then worked in lab animal field, then applied...twice. Finally got in this year, yay.
The age thing freaked me out at first, but at the end of it all, I'll be a vet just like everyone else and prob a little wiser/proactive than most new graduates ;).... and if all goes as planned, specializing in lab animal med.

In regards to clinical experience, yes you'll be dusting, sweeping, cleaning poop, doing laundry just like the rest of us! But if you really are interested in vet med then....show the vets your interest, willingness to learn and have a fairly tough skin when it comes to whatever criticism they throw at you. Yes, you will be criticized!...do this, and you'll get a decent amount of hands on experience!

If you can find a job, great. If not, volunteer anywhere you can at places w/ on-site vets. You need the rec so start searching now! For long term income until you get into vet school, I'd suggest working in a lab doing research, vet schools LOVE that.

Your grades are good, maybe bump up those last 45 units if you can. What's your GRE score breakdown? Most schools look at Math more the verbal (think UPenn) and so I'd suggesting getting over 650 Math if you can.

As far as applying this year for next cycle, you may not have time. You need hours, the letter, better GRE scores (esp since you have zero animal exp) and a stellar essay!

BTW, I'll stress you need clinical vet experience! Question, why vet med? You'll prob get asked this question considering you don't have those hours so make sure you write about/mention it in the essay.

OK Good Luck!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN!

It sounds like your other stats are good but yes, you definitely need experience. For many schools, experience is stressed just as much as grades and GRE.

Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Having a variety of experience is critical as well. Try to get a few different fields (large animal, small animal, exotic, research etc). That being said, don't bounce around either. You need depth as well as breadth to be a well rounded candidate. If you have a wide range of experience they'll appreciate your decision to focus on one area. If you apply and say "I want to do small animal" and that's the only experience you have, they'll ask how you can be sure if you've only tried one thing.

In short: do everything all at once, all the time :)

Another thing...

Don't be afraid to try a couple clinics before choosing one. Tell them what you're after and you just might get it. It isn't necessary to start out as kennel cleaner or dog walker.

The first place I tried gave me the kennel duty. The second place explicitly said that I could not talk to the vet or ask questions. I was supposed to be neither seen nor heard! The third (and current) place started me on animal treatment within 10 minutes of arriving.

Just keep at it and you'll find the right fit.

If you are shadowing, be very explicite about what you hope to achieve. I shadowed with several SA vets the summer before applying. I spent 2 days a week each with 2 seperate clinics and another day with a traveling equine vet. 4 months later I had a job offer as a tech.

When I shadowed, I spent 1 day with each SA vet observing surgeries and the other observing appointments. The equine vet was mobile and I went with her to appointments. I also let each vet know that I was happy to do info searches, put together hand outs, write letters for organizations, etc. I think this gained me a lot of favor.... I typed up letters to shelters about delaying s/n for heartworm treatment, requesting case files, etc. I put together a bullentin board for lost/found/rehoming animals and maintained it. Little things that I could mostly do off hours that the vet liked. Also, if the vet had to stay after to do paperwork and such, I always offered ot help out.

It definitly isn't too late....I am 29 and entering school in August. Also....I don't know if I would really call vet med a career change for me...or just the direction my career has been heading.

Hey there! I agree with everyone else so far, and I just wanted to throw out there that I am in a quite similar situation. Like you, I've got two bachelors, and I did 1 year of a PhD program before knowing it wasn't for me. Having an MS is a GREAT thing. It will really strengthen your application and show you can complete a higher level degree.

About the age thing: it's really up to you. I'm a smidge younger than you (24) but I'm applying next year (25) and hopefully matriculating the following year (26). That's almost 30 at graduation plus I want to specialize... we're talking 34-35 before a career even starts to get going! So no, it's definitely not weird, but it IS something that it individual and specific. Personally, I think a family, house, maturity etc etc can wait, since I can come back to those but probably not to vet school. It will be up to you to decide whether you want to cut to the chase now and get a job with your MS or hold out for a potentially more fulfilling career down the line.

Regarding working for a vet: I am taking a year off as you mentioned and I think it's a good way to go. You can get a LOT of hours under your belt in a year, plus you have the opportunity to try different hospitals/clinics and fields as others are suggesting. I currently work >40 hours per week volunteering. It's a bum and I'm tired, but that's all part of the game.

I do recommend thinking through carefully what you are interested in getting out of your working experiences, however. I currently work in a 3-vet hospital in which I mostly shadow and observe and I'm allowed to do some basic patient care and lab work (running bloods, helping with restraint, hooking patients up to monitors, etc) when they are short-staffed. If you get a tech job, you are likely to get a lot more hands on learning and will likely start to develop very important practical skills like drawing blood, inserting catheters, etc. On the other hand, you will have a responsibility to your practice to do your work -- there is rarely time for questions or observing. A good vet who is willing to let you shadow them and answer questions will give you the opportunity to watch surgeries, become exposed to various diseases and problems (and their signs and solutions), discuss results from radiography, bloodwork, etc, and learn the diagonistic process. Both offer something to learn, but both have their limitations.

There's so many other options and permutations, of course, and what works for you may work differently for someone else. Just ask around and be confident... don't worry, you'll get that rec!

BEST of luck to you!

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! Since I'm a little bit older and not really on a "traditional" track to vet school, doing a lot of this on my own without academic advisors, other pre-vet students, etc is a little bit overwhelming.

Have your thought about actually applying for a job as a vet tech/assistant? Volunteering is great but you would be getting more experience as a tech. Also, what is you in-state school?
I have actually briefly considered this, but I've been placed under the impression that vet techs/assistants need degrees themselves, or at least a lot of previous experience. Anyone have more insight about this?
And my in-state school will be OSU.

As for those of you who said to be very clear what I'm after, should I just tell them right up front that I'm looking to apply to vet school and am looking for some experience? Should I ask to shadow? To volunteer? I don't want to come off as insincere somehow. I'll start calling around pretty soon, just don't really know what to say to be honest.

I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the age issue, and actually decided that I can't worry too much about whether I'll get in or not right now - just have to push forward and worry about it when I've actually applied!

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! Since I'm a little bit older and not really on a "traditional" track to vet school, doing a lot of this on my own without academic advisors, other pre-vet students, etc is a little bit overwhelming.

I have actually briefly considered this, but I've been placed under the impression that vet techs/assistants need degrees themselves, or at least a lot of previous experience. Anyone have more insight about this?
And my in-state school will be OSU.

As for those of you who said to be very clear what I'm after, should I just tell them right up front that I'm looking to apply to vet school and am looking for some experience? Should I ask to shadow? To volunteer? I don't want to come off as insincere somehow. I'll start calling around pretty soon, just don't really know what to say to be honest.

I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the age issue, and actually decided that I can't worry too much about whether I'll get in or not right now - just have to push forward and worry about it when I've actually applied!

Whether you need a degree to be a tech depends on the state you live in. Even in those states however you don't need a degree to be a veterinary assistant. I don't know the rules for ohio (or oklahoma?) in particular. When applying have a resume and cover letter and tell them what your goals are. You are a student looking for experience and are planning on going to vet school. Knowing you have plans to stay in the field can be helpful--you will likely be more dedicated than the high school kid that just needs a summer job (no offense to anyone meant).

Good luck. As far as the age thing goes you will be whatever age regardless of your career so if you want to pursue vet school go for it!

Ohio is pretty lax about techs, I think. And, even though I doubt you meant OkSU, Oklahoma is lax too. You can learn to do vaccinations, blood draws, intubations, catheters etc. through OTJ training. No comments here on if that's how it SHOULD be, but it helps us pre-vetters get a job. :shrug:

You might ask to shadow/volunteer first if you have time... that way, you can work yourself into a job more easily if you do well, and you can also make sure that you like the practice first. If that's not an option, then you should just tell them exactly what you're looking for and why, vet school and all.

Ohio is pretty lax about techs, I think. And, even though I doubt you meant OkSU, Oklahoma is lax too. You can learn to do vaccinations, blood draws, intubations, catheters etc. through OTJ training.

Regarding Ohio: From what I have been told (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)...you have to be a registered vet tech or have at least finished your 1st year of vet school to do most of that stuff here. I am not saying that OTJ training for those things don't happen anywhere in the state, but technically, it's illegal.

i'm finding it REALLY hard to find consistent equine experience and that's the area i'm most interested in! smaller practices that i have contacted don't take on student shadows or have a 1 student capacity (since there is limited room in the truck), a few have been rude, some haven't returned calls after numerous attempts, and others will let you go for a day (but don't have much to do with you while you are there - not very eager to answer questions, make you feel in the way, etc). i just want one vet to ride along with this summer who is excited to teach someone about their profession! just thought i'd share my frustration. :( didn't know if anyone else could relate lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Ohio: From what I have been told (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)...you have to be a registered vet tech or have at least finished your 1st year of vet school to do most of that stuff here. I am not saying that OTJ training for those things don't happen anywhere in the state, but technically, it's illegal.

I dunno what gave me the opposite impression... hmm. Where's David? I'm certain he knows for sure.

You guys called?

Check out this older thread for info regarding assistants. Towards the end there is info on Ohio. It sounds like assistants can actually do some things like give subq injections and a few other things:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=510496

Regarding what Students can do

Here are the laws: http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4741-1-19

(A) A veterinary student shall have successfully completed the initial year of study at an approved college of veterinary medicine in order to perform the duties designated in division (B)(1) of section 4741.19 of the Revised Code.

(B) A veterinary student successfully enrolled in an approved college of veterinary medicine may perform the duties designated in division (B)(2) of section 4741.19 of the Revised Code.

Which refer to:

(B) No veterinary student shall:

(1) Perform or assist surgery unless under direct veterinary supervision and unless the student has had the minimum education and experience prescribed by rule of the board;

(2) Engage in any other work related to the practice of veterinary medicine unless under veterinary supervision;

So enrolled students can do anything buy surgery under veterinary supervision, and then surgery after completing first year as long as its under direct veterinary supervision.

Last edited:
Thanks for setting the record straight!

Btw, what's going on in your new avatar?

i'm finding it REALLY hard to find consistent equine experience and that's the area i'm most interested in! smaller practices that i have contacted don't take on student shadows or have a 1 student capacity (since there is limited room in the truck), a few have been rude, some haven't returned calls after numerous attempts, and others will let you go for a day (but don't have much to do with you while you are there - not very eager to answer questions, make you feel in the way, etc). i just want one vet to ride along with this summer who is excited to teach someone about their profession! just thought i'd share my frustration. :( didn't know if anyone else could relate lol
Are you in MA? I can give you contact info if so.

Sweet! Why didn't they include that in the unique characteristic section for our class's stats?!

Thanks for the info. My home state is actually OK. I think I'll definitely volunteer for a while, especially since I still need to finish my MS. Then maybe I can look around and see what's available.

Whether you need a degree to be a tech depends on the state you live in. Even in those states however you don't need a degree to be a veterinary assistant. I don't know the rules for ohio (or oklahoma?) in particular. When applying have a resume and cover letter and tell them what your goals are. You are a student looking for experience and are planning on going to vet school. Knowing you have plans to stay in the field can be helpful--you will likely be more dedicated than the high school kid that just needs a summer job (no offense to anyone meant).

Good luck. As far as the age thing goes you will be whatever age regardless of your career so if you want to pursue vet school go for it!
Do you mean there is a difference between vet techs and vet assistants? I've been kind of wondering that for a while.

Sweet! Why didn't they include that in the unique characteristic section for our class's stats?!

I was kind of bummed when I saw the class stats. But I haven't really(until recently) actively juggled in a few years so I had left it off my application.

Do you mean there is a difference between vet techs and vet assistants? I've been kind of wondering that for a while.

That largely depends on the state. Particularly in states that limit specific tasks to certified technicians. Where as the certified techs are the only ones really allowed to do anything, while the assistants are the ones who will hold the animals and clean the cages. If their are no regulations in the state, then the terms tend to be used inerchangably.

Hey everyone! I will be applying to vet school this coming fall and am in need of some help. I have a 3.9 GPA, lots of leadership and research experience, but I am lacking in animal experience.

I currently have about 200 hours in LA and only 50 in SA. I am shadowing a veterinarian at the moment, but only for a few hours a week. I'm afraid my measly hours wont compare to those with thousands of hours. I've tried numerous times to get a position at a clinic with no prevail (it seems to be a big problem in this area for pre-vet students). :eek: Any recommendations? Thank you!

Hey everyone! I will be applying to vet school this coming fall and am in need of some help. I have a 3.9 GPA, lots of leadership and research experience, but I am lacking in animal experience.

I currently have about 200 hours in LA and only 50 in SA. I am shadowing a veterinarian at the moment, but only for a few hours a week. I'm afraid my measly hours wont compare to those with thousands of hours. I've tried numerous times to get a position at a clinic with no prevail (it seems to be a big problem in this area for pre-vet students). :eek: Any recommendations? Thank you!

If you need just plain old animal experience, you could volunteer at a shelter. This could double as veterinary experience if you are able to help out/observe on spay and neuter days. I'd keep trying to find a job and observe at the small animal clinic too. I have only 250 of small animal clinic experience and I got in with that. (and a ton of research)

Depending on what your research entailed, sometimes research can count towards veterinary experience (it did in my case). You can ask the people at VMCAS or the admissions dept of your school of interest and they will often clarify!

Also, have you owned pets? That can fall under the animal experience umbrella. Try to be conservative with that, though. Actual raising of the animal (feeding, grooming, giving routine heart worm medicine, etc) should be the only hours you count.

The humane societies usually take volunteers, and there's usually one with each county. That could help you, too.

Welcome to SDN!

Also, have you owned pets? That can fall under the animal experience umbrella. Try to be conservative with that, though. Actual raising of the animal (feeding, grooming, giving routine heart worm medicine, etc) should be the only hours you count.

The humane societies usually take volunteers, and there's usually one with each county. That could help you, too.

Welcome to SDN!

Feeding, grooming, and giving heartworm medicine doesn't really count either....

The only animal experience that you can get from your own pets (as far as I know from the adcom people I know) are if you are heavily involved in 1) breeding (this includes food animals/4H) 2) showing, 3) intensive specialty training such as service dogs, tracking, and agility, or 4) extremely complex medical or behavioral problems (taking care of your old dog with arthritis or kitty with diabetes doesn't really count, I mean things like working with severely aggressive or fearful dogs, therapy, etc)

This really depends on the school. Most schools don't count pet ownership as animal experience (I think giving your dog heartworm meds might add up to 10mins total for the entirety of the pet's life:laugh:) unless it's something more involved like showing/competiting with that animal.

OP, with your grades I think you have a bit more cushion than many candidates. I would do your best to continue accumulating veterinary hours (they're more "valuable" than simple animal experience)- can you increase the amount of time you spend at your current place, or maybe look into another field of vet med (local zoo or aquarium, for example)?

Feeding, grooming, and giving heartworm medicine doesn't really count either....

The only animal experience that you can get from your own pets (as far as I know from the adcom people I know) are if you are heavily involved in 1) breeding (this includes food animals/4H) 2) showing, 3) intensive specialty training such as service dogs, tracking, and agility, or 4) extremely complex medical or behavioral problems (taking care of your old dog with arthritis or kitty with diabetes doesn't really count, I mean things like working with severely aggressive or fearful dogs, therapy, etc)

Oh, then I stand corrected! I'm sorry, I thought that was also applicable. ^^

Best of luck to you, OP!

I know people may still put them on the application...you're free to put anything there, I guess. But it likely won't count for very much because honestly, everyone and their mother has some sort of pet nowadays.

An undergrad GPA of 3.4 isn't bad at all.

Agreed with the variety - you want to do as much as you can to stand out in a crowd. There are going to be TONS of applicants with hundreds and thousands of hours - what makes you unique and different?

I really think standing out is even more important than stats when it comes to vet school nowadays. I mean, you can't walk in with crap grades and expect it to happen....it won't make up for a less-than-solid base of good grades and GRE scores and such.....but it will absolutely give you a big edge if you have something neat or different in your experience.

I agree - your 3.9 GPA does give you a cushion regarding experience hours. What are your GRE scores like? If you look at the accepted stats thread you'll see that I was accepted this year with only 300 vet hours and around 500 animal hours (some of which were pet-sitting for years and fostering cats for years). I have continued to work at the SA clinic I'm at so my hours have gone up since my application but... that's what I applied with.

Definitely try the Humane Society or SPCA for volunteering hours. It's not glamorous and you will clean up a lot of poo but it's a great place to rack up the hours. Have you tried any zoos or wildlife recues/rehab'ers near you?

If you're applying this fall I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get enough hours by then - you've got 7ish months and presumably free time this summer (assuming you don't work - if you do, I recommend taking some time off work and doing a full 40 hour week of shadowing at a clinic or farm).

I put down time for pet ownership. Some schools will take it, others think it's padding, but I wanted it in VMCAS for the few that liked seeing it.

A member of the CSU adcom told me to put pet hours down anyway, for the above reasons and also that "everyone else is, and it will put your hours in the same general vicinity as other peoples' hours."

So for the years I had pets, I added 30 min to 1 hour per week, depending on the number of animals and difficulty of care. It didn't add a ton, but another adcom person told me it showed them that I had familiarity with animals, even if they didn't care about the hours.

I put down time for pet ownership. Some schools will take it, others think it's padding, but I wanted it in VMCAS for the few that liked seeing it.

A member of the CSU adcom told me to put pet hours down anyway, for the above reasons and also that "everyone else is, and it will put your hours in the same general vicinity as other peoples' hours."

So for the years I had pets, I added 30 min to 1 hour per week, depending on the number of animals and difficulty of care. It didn't add a ton, but another adcom person told me it showed them that I had familiarity with animals, even if they didn't care about the hours.

I had no idea people typically put pet ownership on their application. I had always thought that was a big no no. And I spend probably at least 5 hours a week taking care of my one special needs animal... oh well. It obviously didn't hurt my application too much. I talked about her in most of my interviews, so I guess I got it in there somewhere. I doubt look down on you for including it, even if they don't care about it, because they'll know there are a few schools that actually look at it.

awood7 said:

I currently have about 200 hours in LA and only 50 in SA. I am shadowing a veterinarian at the moment, but only for a few hours a week. I'm afraid my measly hours wont compare to those with thousands of hours. I've tried numerous times to get a position at a clinic with no prevail (it seems to be a big problem in this area for pre-vet students). Any recommendations? Thank you!

Honestly what you need in the way of experience varies so much from person to person. Hour counts aside, some people need more experience to get them ready for vet school. Others have lots of experience that isn't necessarily as in depth or valuable as others. Your total number of hours is really not that important. People's hours range all over the place, from a few hundred to tens of thousands. Don't let the statistics and the admissions websites scare you. Experience is evaluated subjectively, not objectively. Sometimes people get so lost in racking up their hours that they forget what all that experience is all about. The absolute most important thing is what you learn from the experience--did it give you a clear understanding of what a vet's job is? Can you actually state the things of value that you learned from the experience? Did you come out of the experience with interesting things to talk about in essays or interviews? You could have thousands of hours, but be a total nitwit who really grasped nothing from the experience and just spent the whole time complaining that all you did was clean up poop.

It's also good to have an experience where you actually have responsibility (aka, not 5,000 hours of hands off shadowing), to show that you are, well, responsible, and have other characteristics necessary of a veterinarian-to-be. So getting a recc letter from a vet somewhere where you actually did something is probably going to be more valuable than from just shadowing. But not necessarily essential.

Having variety is valuable, as it shows you understand the many different jobs a veterinarian can have, but there's no prescribed amount of variety that you need for your application to be successful. Schools will often tout on their websites that to be competitive you should have at least a few hundred hours in three different areas or something to that effect. Don't let that scare you, it's not really necessary. Good, but not necessary. I got in with 1000 vet hours in one area, and only about 20 in each of two other areas. But that one area was very high in quality, depth, and responsibility, and was rather unique. I also had a bit better variety in my animal experience than my vet. If you can't find variety in vet experience, at least try to throw in some variety in your animal experience. And there's no need to go overboard with variety. Make sure you have an experience that you've committed to and had the chance to go a bit more in depth into.

As someone already mentioned, having unique experience can make you stand out more than anything else. And it doesn't necessarily need to be unique vet/animal experience. A unique life experience, interesting research, or a very strong leadership position in an interesting activity can make you stand out.

With the padding provided by your high GPA, having those other non-animal leadership experiences and research experience, you should be fine as long as you continue to accrue vet hours. If you can pick things up a bit in the summer and maybe add in some more hours, or even better, a new area of vet experience, you should be a pretty strong applicant. But you'll also want to be smart about which schools you choose to apply to. Some schools value experience more than academics, so you might want to shy away from those. And some schools do have a minimum number of experience hours required to apply, so be on the lookout for those as well. Generally these minimums are fairly low, but be aware of them. The most important thing to remember is to be confident. Don't be self conscious about your hours. If you are, the resulting way in which you present your experiences on your application may make it seem as if you're not ready. The real question is, do you feel confident that you're ready to be a vet student? If you are, then it really doesn't matter what the numbers say. Make that confidence come across in your application and it will help you.

Do you think it would be good to show if you have a variety of pet ownership experiences, even if they don't go incredibly in depth? I've had a lot more than just cats and dogs: birds, fish, rats, mice, guinea pigs, rabbits... I'm sure a lot of applicants have, but I'd still like to put anything I can, especially since my "animal experience" category is really lacking. I have vet and research hours, plus excellent grades and test scores, but I'm really stressing about that category! I don't want them to be irritated if I put down something cheap, but there is an "Animal Ownership" category, so.... I suppose I should contact the school directly to see?