Animal Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlumPoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that personal pets usually do not count under animal experience, but I read that if your pet had a medical condition or disease where they needed constant attention it may count?

I had a pet rat who had developed some kind of respiratory problem. The vets couldn't exactly figure out what was causing it, so I had to give her numerous medications everyday. I had to give her prednisone once a day, and Baytril and doxycycline twice a day. I had to do this everyday for 3 months until her passing.

I was wondering if this would count as animal experience. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would mention it on your application because it is a unique experience (I’ve bever pilled a rat so hey), but don’t associate a ton of hours with it. If you spent maybe 10 minutes a day doing all that for your rat then that’s 15 hours.
***this is coming from the fact that WSU (my IS/where I’m going) says to put everything, everything on your application no matter how small, and to definitely put animal ownership especially if there were “extra” things it required

I would mention it on your application because it is a unique experience (I’ve bever pilled a rat so hey), but don’t associate a ton of hours with it. If you spent maybe 10 minutes a day doing all that for your rat then that’s 15 hours.

Yeah, I understand the not associating too many hours thing, but my rat was pretty stubborn about taking the meds. Sometimes I would have to sit and wait because forcing her would cause her respiratory distress to flare up. Some days it would only take me 10 minutes tops, and some days an hour, especially closer to her passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that personal pets usually do not count under animal experience, but I read that if your pet had a medical condition or disease where they needed constant attention it may count?

I had a pet rat who had developed some kind of respiratory problem. The vets couldn't exactly figure out what was causing it, so I had to give her numerous medications everyday. I had to give her prednisone once a day, and Baytril and doxycycline twice a day. I had to do this everyday for 3 months until her passing.

I was wondering if this would count as animal experience. Thanks.
I thought the rule was 100 hours for all of the pets you've ever had. I would separate the medical stuff though, for example, I put 100 animal hours in general for pet care but one of my cats had Feline Leukemia and my mother and I did hematocrits biweekly and administered IV fluids to my geriatric cat so I counted those separately :)

What I personally did was put 100 hours for pet ownership, and then in the description put what animals I had before and health issues they’d had. WSU is also my IS and they do consider pet ownership, but I think some schools don’t.

Personally I don’t think listing more or less pet hours will really help. Unless it’s something like agility, extensive training, horse showing, etc, I don’t think they’ll really look at the hours as much as what you say you’ve learned from it.

In my opinion, I think people should list pet ownership as animal experience (because it literally is). Schools can choose to include it or not, but only if it's there to begin with. If you don't include it they'll never know. That plus I know UMN told me to include it. Tabulating the hours for it is pretty subjective, but I think schools are smart enough to realize that and won't dock points or whatever so long as you're in a reasonable ball park.