animal nutrition - online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in searching for information regarding animal nutrition courses, there are multiple threads spread out from the past few years. a lot of the threads included information about people preparing to take certain online courses, so i was hoping to combine one thread with updated information regarding online animal nutrition courses (excluding oregon state b/c it's only offered in the summer).

for those of you who recently completed the oklahoma state course, how was it? would you recommend it?

also, there wasn't much information regarding the kansas state course. is it similar to the oklahoma state course? required proctors? self-paced? allowed a year to complete it? would you recommend it?

i'm interested in the structure (quizzes, exams, final projects, etc) and opinions.

any information regarding any of the online nutrition courses would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

also, there wasn't much information regarding the kansas state course. is it similar to the oklahoma state course? required proctors? self-paced? allowed a year to complete it? would you recommend it?

i'm interested in the structure (quizzes, exams, final projects, etc) and opinions.

I completed the K-State Animal Nutrition course this past spring. I have taken numerous online courses through various institutions, and Kansas' by far is my favorite. The course is self paced and does require a proctor or testing center. They provide recommendations on finding a proctor. You are held to a traditional semester timeline to complete the course, although the exact number of weeks may vary depending on spring/fall or summer. The instructor is very responsive to any questions you may have. I usually received a reply in less than 24 hrs (weekends excluded). There were four exams and six homework/quiz type assignments, one of which was a small journal article evaluation.

The downside is that the course is more costly than some other institutions, ~$1050 per 3 hour class.

I would highly recommend this class to those that need it. I used it to meet Texas A&M's animal nutrition requirement.

I'm currently taking the online nutrition course through Purdue. First and only major related online course I have ever taken but I still would recommend it. The professor is friendly and willing to go into extreme depth in explaining subject matter. He provides detailed ppts (with and without audio) for download as well as several audio clips from lectures. Study aids, such as flash cards, crosswords, and other games, are available however, they mainly cover the first section of the course.

It's a self-pace course without a traditional timeline but you must complete the course within a year. There are a total of 3 sections of the course with 3 exams at the end of each section. Exam 3 is also the cumulative final. Exams do require to be proctored. There are 6 home work assignments and one final project involving the development of a nutritional feeding program for a species of your choice. Tuition, application fee, and book amounted to slightly < $900.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished the OK State course. Cost about $700 I believe (don't remember the exact number). It is basically 13 writing assignments and 5 proctored exams. It wasn't really hard but definately was a lot of work. The writing assignments took anywhere from 1 to 3 hours each to complete. The exams were 50 questions each and non-cumulative. I was lucky to use a family friend for my proctor so he came over to my house to give me the exams. It would've been much more of a PITA if I didn't have this luxury.

I pushed pretty hard and got through it in 5 weeks, although it would probably take longer at a moderate pace. I am still waiting on results from the last exam and my final score. It takes several weeks to get results back.

Forgot to mention: The exams can be a little tricky and do require studying. I studied approximately 2 - 4 hours for each exam. There are a lot of details, such as exact percentages and numbers, that are asked. So pay attention to the details, charts (if there are any) and make note of important numbers.

Bumpin' this up--
Rileyroo, did you settle on a course?

The one at my CC isn't going to work for me, so now I'm back to the drawing board...And I can't decide!

I took Animal Nutrition through NC State over the summer. It was a 4 week course but they offered an 8 week course and offer it Spring and Fall too I believe. I liked it. It had a fairly set schedule but it was a good pace. The teacher and teaching assistants were very quick to respond to questions. Each night you would have 2 or 3 exercises to go through online, each followed by a question or two (to make up your participation grade). There was around a quiz a week or so as well as three tests and a final. The tests had to be proctored but that was easy to work out. I learned a lot and enjoyed not having a set class time each day.

Bumpin' this up--
Rileyroo, did you settle on a course?

The one at my CC isn't going to work for me, so now I'm back to the drawing board...And I can't decide!

i'm gonna attempt to register for the kansas state course tomorrow morning, but i have had issues with their process for a couple months. if it doesn't work, i'll look into another course somewhere else. i'll let you know when i get registered somewhere. although i'm kinda bitter about not hearing from KSU... lol :D

I am taking the k-state nutrition next semester so I guess we'll be classmates :D. yay!

Wow, I am amazed at the cost of these courses. :eek: I was looking at the thread thinking it might be a good idea just to keep myself thinking 'academically' and engaged, but not at that price! I just don't earn enough!!

Wow, I am amazed at the cost of these courses. :eek: I was looking at the thread thinking it might be a good idea just to keep myself thinking 'academically' and engaged, but not at that price! I just don't earn enough!!

I registered for Oklahoma's class, and it came to 658.50 for three credits

The last class I took at my local university came to approx 1,400 for three credits, and that didnt include the textbook.

So yeah, not that bad comparatively.

Why was I under the impression that Kansas required an animal nutrition class before applying? Am I making things up in my head or am I somehow confusing this with another school. I hate it, I look through admissions requirements so often they all just start to meld together LOL!

Why was I under the impression that Kansas required an animal nutrition class before applying? Am I making things up in my head or am I somehow confusing this with another school. I hate it, I look through admissions requirements so often they all just start to meld together LOL!

KSU's animal nutrition course is commonly taken by applicants to meet requirements for other schools, but KSU CVM itself doesn't actually require the class.

A number of other schools do require it, but I don't remember all of them off the top of my head. You could try using the sad, crippled search function on SDN for the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
KSU's animal nutrition course is commonly taken by applicants to meet requirements for other schools, but KSU CVM itself doesn't actually require the class.

A number of other schools do require it, but I don't remember all of them off the top of my head. You could try using the sad, crippled search function on SDN for the list.

I'm such a loser. :laugh: I was like "Since when did Kansas require it" to be honest I started having a slight panic attack...over something this small that I would have enough time to take anyhow. This usually starts happening as I approach midterm, I go crazy. And Yep I attempted to run a search of this thing and it is totally crippled whats with that?:eek:

hi, just became a member of sdn. i need to take an online nutrition course for michigan state (if i get in there) havent heard from them yet but havent given up. with my schedule i am going to have to take the course sometime this summer

Hi,

I'm a huge animal nutrition dork so if anyone ever wants to talk about it, uh, just cause, let me know via PM.

Don't take OK State's if you're in a hurry and out of state. I'm taking it for MSU right now, and the turnaround on the exams has been several weeks each. The assignments are graded quickly enough, but the exams are processed at an inexcusably slow pace and the whole course basically freezes while you wait for them.

Don't take OK State's if you're in a hurry and out of state. I'm taking it for MSU right now, and the turnaround on the exams has been several weeks each. The assignments are graded quickly enough, but the exams are processed at an inexcusably slow pace and the whole course basically freezes while you wait for them.

Really? I requested my first exam, and just kept going with the rest of the assignments. I'm not going to stop and wait.

Speaking of exams, how are they? Picky little details? Numbers?

Is the OK State animal nutrition class ANSI 3753I - Basic Nutrition for Pets?

Nope its ANSI 3543

and I agree with cowgirla...once I took my exams I continued on with the writing assignments. I did not wait until I got my exam grades back.

Not only that but sometimes I went ahead with writing assignments as well. I finished the last writing assignments for the last 3 exams before I even took the exams. Then I took all three on the same day.

You can do whatever you want in the course in terms of submitting assignments, he doesn't mind.

I guess I'm S.O.L. then. I can't find any other nutrition class on OK State's website, so the one I'd need must be full.

I never did find it on their website, I just called them. Their website was a pain in the butt, but 'tigers did post a direct link to it at some point.

I don't think it can "fill"...it's open enrollment, self-paced, and they pretty much just send you a book and you do your own thing.

Give them a call--number I have for the Independent study office is 405-744-6390. I dont know if you can register with them, but they can at least direct you

Primal- are you trying to meet a prereq for this year? As in you've gotta take it this semester? If so, I know you can register for KSU's class midway through the semester by emailing and nicely asking the instructor. Just a thought if you're in a bind.

I never did find it on their website, I just called them. Their website was a pain in the butt, but 'tigers did post a direct link to it at some point.

I don't think it can "fill"...it's open enrollment, self-paced, and they pretty much just send you a book and you do your own thing.

Give them a call--number I have for the Independent study office is 405-744-6390. I dont know if you can register with them, but they can at least direct you

Thanks. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I want to actually enroll in the class. My problem is, right now, I'd be paying $700 for a pre-req for only one of the schools I'm applying to. I know I may be crazy for not taking the class and going to the interview, but to be honest I'm not all that crazy about the thought of going to Auburn anyway.

does auburn allow you to take it over the summer once you're admitted??

I took ANSI 1124 (animal science) and ANSI 3543 (animal nutrition) through OKSU for UFl and NCSU (NCSU only needs animal nutrition) and while I got A's in both of them now I wish I had just held off until I knew my status. UFl would have let me take them over the summer and NCSU needed them done by the end of the spring. Given how early NCSU lets people know (at least for OOS) it would have been do-able to know whether I was accepted or not and then take the animal nutrition course in the second half of the spring semester.

Now I took both those courses and got denied from UFl and waitlisted at NCSU so I guess I didn't need them at all!! Figures!

Personally, I wish I'd saved the money, but I was trying to be good about time management (I'm a horrible procrasinator). c'est la vie.

Nope its ANSI 3543

and I agree with cowgirla...once I took my exams I continued on with the writing assignments. I did not wait until I got my exam grades back.

Not only that but sometimes I went ahead with writing assignments as well. I finished the last writing assignments for the last 3 exams before I even took the exams. Then I took all three on the same day.

You can do whatever you want in the course in terms of submitting assignments, he doesn't mind.

They let you request multiple exams at once? I was under the impression that they wouldn't permit that, which was what I meant by "freezing". I've been working ahead in the assignments, so I'm just gonna request the next exam then and see what happens.

Still, I haven't been a big fan of this format.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely,

I would send emails saying: I'd like the next 4 ANSI 3543 exams.

They say that you should take the first one and then after that you can request as many exams as you'd like at the same time.

Mine all came in one huge envelope with however many exams I requested inside.

Oh absolutely,

I would send emails saying: I'd like the next 4 ANSI 3543 exams.

They say that you should take the first one and then after that you can request as many exams as you'd like at the same time.

Mine all came in one huge envelope with however many exams I requested inside.

Well, uh, one word.

CHA-CHING!

I was all worried about the timing, but if this is the case, this class will be done by the end of spring break, lol.

Speaking of exams, how are they? Picky little details? Numbers?

Yes. Both of those. Make sure you know things like how much each industry brings in each year, the gestation time of the animals, the length of the estrous cycle, how many hours the animals are in estrus for each chapter you study. Actually...that might have been the animal science course, now I can't remember but it will be picky little details (in my opinion). Know numbers for sure. Know the pathways, intermediates etc. Its a pain in the butt but luckily its easy to get 100s on the HWs and they def saved me at the end of the day.

Good luck!