Anki D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there value in making the Anki cards specific to what your school teaches you; thus providing you the highest yield when reviewing for the exams your school writes for you?

The students that took all the time to make things like this ended up getting worse grades. It's too time consuming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any recommendations on the more successful methods? I've looked into Anki because I don't know a single med student who hasn't used it or some other form of flashcard based on personal statistics.

A lot of our class uses flashcard hero but again, if you are the one taking the time to make them, you are losing out on valuable study time. If someone else gives you already made ones, then it's effective.

I used Anki for literally 2 months before stopping, it was way too time consuming. I do admit that it's useful for finals reviews as well as boards review but tests are too frequent at my school to be spending time making Anki flashcards. I believe most of my classmates have stopped using it as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I used Anki for literally 2 months before stopping, it was way too time consuming. I do admit that it's useful for finals reviews as well as boards review but tests are too frequent at my school to be spending time making Anki flashcards. I believe most of my classmates have stopped using it as well.
What do you do instead now?

Lol. I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Hopefully I'll figure out something that works.
Stick with what worked with you in undergrad. Maybe you can try using Anki for the first month and see if you like it. In undergrad, I used to print out the slides and go over them that way, but now, each lecture is 60+ slides and is kinda ridiculous to print since you have so many lectures lol.

Stick with what worked with you in undergrad. Maybe you can try using Anki for the first month and see if you like it. In undergrad, I used to print out the slides and go over them that way, but now, each lecture is 60+ slides and is kinda ridiculous to print since you have so many lectures lol.
Well for classes with a ton of memorization info like biochem I would just go to an empty room and write things on the white board over and over again until it was ingrained. But for the DAT I made tons of flash cards. By the sound of it, I'm not sure I'll have time for either of those in dental school. People make it seem like they just have time to read through the powerpoints twice and that's it.

Well for classes with a ton of memorization info like biochem I would just go to an empty room and write things on the white board over and over again until it was ingrained. But for the DAT I made tons of flash cards. By the sound of it, I'm not sure I'll have time for either of those in dental school. People make it seem like they just have time to read through the powerpoints twice and that's it.
I think going through the ppts twice is more than enough, especially if you get it the first run through and the second time should be a review maybe a day or two before your exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Since classes are mandatory, I'm wondering if you'll have time to anki while the lecture is happening. I always used anki in undergrad and it helped a lot. Plus like another user here has said, med students find great success with anki. I am not a passively reread kinda person at all :(

Since classes are mandatory, I'm wondering if you'll have time to anki while the lecture is happening. I always used anki in undergrad and it helped a lot. Plus like another user here has said, med students find great success with anki. I am not a passively reread kinda person at all :(
What one person in my class did was make 2 columns on excel during the lectures, one for questions, the other for answers.... He did this for a little over half a semester lol.

What one person in my class did was make 2 columns on excel during the lectures, one for questions, the other for answers.... He did this for a little over half a semester lol.
ooh that's kind of how I did it in highschool. I do worst when I have 1 day to study a bunch of random things and am just rereading or taking notes on ppt so I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Is anyone who used and succeed with Anki willing to pass on their made Anki cards for D1 year? Dental Anki resources are slim, though I think a fair amount of SDNers use Anki. It would great to compile some resources.
anki doesn't really work for dental school in my opinion because making them takes a lot of time and you just don't have alot of time between exams for all the courses you are taking... some of my classmate will be making flashcard on quizlet during the lecture and get them done that way to save some time. but i guess it depends on how you learn and it also depends on the courses you are are taking.