ANKI decks for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Didierdrogba

Goldmember
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used "First Aid for the USMLE step 1" deck on Anki?

Can anyone comment on the quality of this deck?

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2374623780

Or please recommend useful decks for step 1 studying.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Make your own deck as you go through the year so the things you don't know make it into the deck and you don't have superfluous flashcards of stuff you do know?

make your own deck as you go through the year so the things you don't know make it into the deck and you don't have superfluous flashcards of stuff you do know?

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually made my own cards already. But I am just wondering how good those decks are on Anki if anybody has any experience with them. Also if i see the cards I already know from the premade decks, I can always delete them

They have too many facts per card. It is also based on an older version of FA.

They have too many facts per card. It is also based on an older version of FA.

Which leads me to my other question, has FA changed a lot from year to year? I have only seen a 2012 version. I think I'd be more concerned about the errors than year to year variations

I don't know why, but I just couldn't find myself being disciplined enough to reopen the program and view the cards after I made a deck. Any of you guys have this problem?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why, but I just couldn't find myself being disciplined enough to reopen the program and view the cards after I made a deck. Any of you guys have this problem?

ehhh wouldn't it be a waste of time to make the cards

Reactions: 1 user
ehhh wouldn't it be a waste of time to make the cards

completely...thank God i only made about 20 cards or so, and that was it. i'm sure if i could find myself to use the program, it would help me a lot - but i just can't get myself to using it. :(

Im a religious user of that deck. There are some cards that have too much on them, but im not gonna throw out the whole 6k card deck for that reason. The description says its fa 2012 and after having memorized about a third of them they match up with the book from what i can tell.

I dunno about you but i can pretty easily turn notecard making into a mindless activity where i couldnt recite a single thing i just typed...i dont really memorize till im reviewing. Plus...be honest...who is really going to make a card for every bullet in first aid? I know im sure not about to...ive got more than.enough other stuff to do. I decided about 3 months ago to make this my sole method of holdimg onto everything until step 1 and i dont regret it a bit.

Hm. this anki thing looks interesting. does it work on tablets?

There is an Anki app for iPhone and iPad. It's expensive but worth it once you see the benefits of daily Anki use. I make my cards in my tablet PC and crush them on my mobile devices.

There is an Anki app for iPhone and iPad. It's expensive but worth it once you see the benefits of daily Anki use. I make my cards in my tablet PC and crush them on my mobile devices.

The iOS app is expensive but I'd say worth it. Card creation is best done on a full computer (at least for me) since I can type faster, but having it on your mobile device means you can be doing flashcards while waiting for that person with $400 of groceries in front of your in the checkout line and you don't feel guilty. Card data can be stored locally on your device so you're not reliant on having a WiFi/data connection to use the app for review. I think by Step 1 time, I had 2200 cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ankiweb is free also...it isnt as easy to make cards but like someone said already...while youre waiting in the grocery store or whatever, you can knock out your reviews. I easily knock out about 200 cards a day while im sitting in the lab waiting on westerns to run or whatever else when id otherwise just be twiddling my thumbs.

I know a lot of people swear by anki and I'm sure a lot of them manage to do well, but my 2 cents - any flashcard based program drives you towards memorizing discrete pieces of information rather than understanding; which is what step 1 tends to test more. A lot of my step 1 test was pathophys and concepts not covered in first aid (actually I would say about 30-40% was not in FA, and I knew FA inside out) but were things you could reason through if you knew the material at a deeper level than FA.

Anki does not provide you with understanding. You gather your understanding from books, classes, rotations, qbanks, etc. You then distill the important ideas into cards. If you do a good job, your cards become memorable. If you review every day, you retain a lot of the knowledge you've picked up along the way.

I know a lot of people swear by anki and I'm sure a lot of them manage to do well, but my 2 cents - any flashcard based program drives you towards memorizing discrete pieces of information rather than understanding; which is what step 1 tends to test more. A lot of my step 1 test was pathophys and concepts not covered in first aid (actually I would say about 30-40% was not in FA, and I knew FA inside out) but were things you could reason through if you knew the material at a deeper level than FA.

It's more like a refresher of information or shows you where your gaps are.

I'm new to Anki but the first anatomy deck I opened called the acromioclavicular joint a ball and socket joint and nicknamed it glenohumeral joint - wtf? You have to be careful which decks you trust!

It's free on android. I have it on my phone

would you guys mind sharing tips/advice on the best way to utilize anki for an incoming M1 ?

would you guys mind sharing tips/advice on the best way to utilize anki for an incoming M1 ?

I made cards during lectures, recording every detail the professors said.

Before exams I just went through the cards until I knew them cold.

This can get you pretty good grades

We would often have 60-80 lectures per 200+ question multiple choice exams. Essentially no more than 3-4 questions from each lecture would be asked. Therefore, I tried to limit the number of Anki cards I made to only include the important stuff that I really needed to memorize. I sat through lecture and mostly listened/highlighted a few things and then later that day went back through it making 10-12 Anki cards.

We would often have 60-80 lectures per 200+ question multiple choice exams. Essentially no more than 3-4 questions from each lecture would be asked. Therefore, I tried to limit the number of Anki cards I made to only include the important stuff that I really needed to memorize. I sat through lecture and mostly listened/highlighted a few things and then later that day went back through it making 10-12 Anki cards.

If you plan to use the Anki cards for step 1 in the future, I'm assuming the focus should be on the main points. Usually, professors provide insight into what concepts come up on boards and should be highlighted.

If you plan to use the Anki cards for step 1 in the future, I'm assuming the focus should be on the main points. Usually, professors provide insight into what concepts come up on boards and should be highlighted.

You haven't started medical school yet. Just stop.

Thanks for the pro tips man! I was simply sharing how I used them for medical school, as I have actually finished MS1.

Anki is a tricky program to use. Learn more about Anki's cloze insertions and image occlusion. There is still a lot that I have yet to learn about what I can do with Anki.

Learn how to make cards here: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm
Keep it simple. Avoid putting a list of items into a card. Use images in your cards. I prefer Anki over firecracker because it allows me to choose the content and because I can print screen any image I find useful into a card. I can draw a mind map or whatever silly visual mnemonic in OneNote and drop it in an Anki card.

Use image occlusion 2.0 to quiz yourself on anatomy. Choose pictures from Netters, NetAnatomy, Xrays, CTs and MRIs. Make tons of cards and review a little every day. Always stop to connect the structures to other structures or to a clinical correlate via more cards. Best of luck.

I've been using this deck for a couple of months now. I'm going to stick with it and it has definitely been helping me out a lot, but it's not as simple as just straight reviewing. I basically fact check any card that I'm not sure of, and I add/edit cards as needed to update them or add pictures (I do a lot better with pictures on the cards). A previous poster said that there is too much info on the cards, but that is only true for a few sections that I've encountered so far. It's clear that these were made by different people.

One of the main problems with the deck is the same as GT/Firecracker: it's a big freaking commitment, and when you take a week off you get greeted with 500 cards to catch up on.

Also, like wordead said, flashcards can lend themselves towards wrote memorization. You have to make sure you understand the cards as you are going through them, which can make them take a lot more time than you might think to get through.

i made cards during lectures, recording every detail the professors said.

Before exams i just went through the cards until i knew them cold.

This can get you pretty good grades

+1

Make sure to do them every day and learn how to make the cards, adjust the settings.

I did well in my classes and made a deck for every lecture during M1.

This sounds really tedious! Let's say you make 10 cards per lecture for 60-80 lectures...that's 600-800 cards per test?! That's got to be very time consuming/mind-numbing and a lot of wear and tear on your joints just to make them for every block.

I've made an honest attempt to use Anki starting first 3 or 4 blocks of school but every time I tried, I would start out for the first 1-2 weeks, then it would become too overwhelming. Eventually I settled into my own way of doing things which worked out fine, at least for school exams.

Eventually you realize that for big concepts, it's enough to just understand, and small testable minutiae you just need to have exposure to a couple of times. This is difficult to do with Anki; you will either miss out on the small points (thinking it's not important and then never seeing it again) or have to make a crap ton of cards. Also you realize towards the end that all the minutiae you spend hundreds of hours memorizing are not that important (I guess this would be different if your school ranks you, but still grades for years 1 and 2 are nearly trivial). At the end of M1 just take a look at your material from the early blocks and see just how much you actually remember compared to what you knew right before the test. And very little of that will be on the boards from what I can tell.

But these are just my thoughts. I always find it interesting to see how other people learn and what kind of systems they've developed. I don't really have a system myself, and I'm still in the process of experimenting. I guess I'm old fashioned, but mostly I just read the notes, highlighted, and read again and look up stuff that's unclear from outside sources.

For step 1, I used that same FA deck as a way to study and review when other means weren't available. For example, I took a week off during dedicated study time to go to a conference and used that deck on my ipod to study on the drive while my wife drove. Given the price, they're fantastic! I bought the ios app years ago because I found anki so helpful, but also because the app is the main source of revenue for an otherwise free product and I wanted to support it.

For classes, I used anki religiously at the start of M1 and converted almost every word of every slide into anki cards. I also excerpted all the relevant images from our slides into the relevant cards so they would be there to reference. Also used it for things like histo by taking a screen shot of a lecture slide and annotating it with arrows and numbers to make a card, or simply by painting over any labels on the picture and resaving. Using the older version of anki, I could convert a whole lecture to cards in about an hour (~100-150 cards).

This worked exceptionally well and resulted in very high 90s exam grades every time, but also was hell on my sanity so I tapered it off partway though the year. I resurrected it whenever I needed to ace a particular part of an exam to keep my grades in a certain range, but otherwise focused more on concept and understanding.

Anki made some cameo appearances during M2, especially for pharm which requires a lot of brute force memorization of material that's not connected to anything else (drug names, etc). It also made a reappearance during step 1 prep when I reviewed my early M1 decks (~4000 cards) to brush up my cell bio and biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
I just started using the anki deck to review for step. i'm months away but i'm trying to commit to doing it for about an hour a day (40 new cards, 100 reviews) which should mean I finish the whole deck around the beginning of march.

it's easy because i never have to decide what i'm going to study i just do the cards anki gives me for the day but I'm wondering if anyone has tips for making it more effective? I agree that it focuses on rote memorization of small details and i'd like to find a way to incorporate review of big concepts as well

Just got ANKI today after reading a lot about med students using it both on SDN and reddit.

For this deck, is there a way to divide them up by topic? Or would i have to manually do that?

Just got ANKI today after reading a lot about med students using it both on SDN and reddit.

For this deck, is there a way to divide them up by topic? Or would i have to manually do that?

You would have to go into each card and add tags to each of them

Is it best to just add each card to a big deck and then use tags to split them up?

does anyone know how many errors from FA 2012 have been corrected in this deck? i took a quick look at the errata and saw a few that i knew had been fixed but also a few that hadnt

Yes, it's happening with me. I get easily distracted.