Anki Experts help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frogger27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here.. starting to use Anki but am a little overwhelmed.

What settings do you guys put everything on?
What should I haver maximum reviews/cards per day at? What should my days be for easy, medium or hard ratings?
How do I set it up in a way where I can see subdecks in pre-made decks like Bros/Zanki?

Really want to use anki along with my classes but am a complete noob. All advice is welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Same here! Downloaded bros deck from his website and the deck appears as 1 deck with 13318 cards. How do you separate the deck into different categories?

What settings do you guys put everything on?
I use the default Anki settings (1 min, 10 min, 4 days, etc) I trust their algorithm!

What should I haver maximum reviews/cards per day at? What should my days be for easy, medium or hard ratings?
Personally, I have my maximum reviews for my class deck at some obscenely high number that my reviews would never come close to. The reason for this is that occasionally I would have three lectures in a day with a lot of image occlusion cards and I would still want to go through all of them without Anki limiting me. I do Bros subdecks that correspond with the block that I'm on, and calculate how many new cards per day will allow me to go through that subdeck by the time I'm finished with the block.

How do I set it up in a way where I can see subdecks in pre-made decks like Bros/Zanki?
For Bros, it should be like that when you download it! I don't know anything about the other one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use the default Anki settings (1 min, 10 min, 4 days, etc) I trust their algorithm!

Personally, I have my maximum reviews for my class deck at some obscenely high number that my reviews would never come close to. The reason for this is that occasionally I would have three lectures in a day with a lot of image occlusion cards and I would still want to go through all of them without Anki limiting me. I do Bros subdecks that correspond with the block that I'm on, and calculate how many new cards per day will allow me to go through that subdeck by the time I'm finished with the block.

For Bros, it should be like that when you download it! I don't know anything about the other one.
Do u delete/edit cards that are redundant btw Bros and your lecture-made cards.

Do u delete/edit cards that are redundant btw Bros and your lecture-made cards.
Personally, no. If there's that kind of overlap it means it's really important and I want as much exposure as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here! Downloaded bros deck from his website and the deck appears as 1 deck with 13318 cards. How do you separate the deck into different categories?

I had the same issue. I had to ditch the download from his website and just use the one on AnkiWebs, but I compared it to the one my friend has (2nd year) from the website and it is the same.

OP, just download Bros and do the section that corresponds to the class you are in. I just have my settings set to numbers like 25 new cards a day (just doing through it slow because a lot of the info I am seeing for the first time and 100 reviews (which I won't hit for a while) it only takes me about an hour in the morning before I review the days material.

How do you view the total number of cards per subdeck? I'm not sure how many cards to do per day because I have no idea how many cards are in each deck

I had the same issue. I had to ditch the download from his website and just use the one on AnkiWebs, but I compared it to the one my friend has (2nd year) from the website and it is the same.

OP, just download Bros and do the section that corresponds to the class you are in. I just have my settings set to numbers like 25 new cards a day (just doing through it slow because a lot of the info I am seeing for the first time and 100 reviews (which I won't hit for a while) it only takes me about an hour in the morning before I review the days material.

I downloaded Zanki because some people have said it looks superior to Bros (although Bros is tried/tested). It looks like there was more subdecks to what is visible to me, but maybe these are all of them. I set my card limit to 500 so thats why the new go that high. How do I tell how many total cards there are if my limit is 500 and there are more cards than that in the deck?

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 5.06.18 PM.png

How do you view the total number of cards per subdeck? I'm not sure how many cards to do per day because I have no idea how many cards are in each deck
Go to "Browse" and click on the deck in question. It will show you the total number of cards at the top.