Anki help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YayPudding

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been making a lot of progress in school with flashcard based learning. I switched from Quizlet to Anki because their algorithm seems a little smarter. As we all know, Anki isn't very user friendly and I'm reaching out to see if any experts can recommend settings:

• Should I make one large deck for each test rather than individual ones for each class? Like "Exam 3" and put any and all exam 3 related cards in there?
  • What are the best settings for ingesting about 1000 cards in a few weeks?
  • Does anyone use close or reverse cards?
  • Any other general recommendations
Posting in both DO and MD, hope that's ok

Members don't see this ad.

1. You could make decks for each class to help learn (having context when you are first doing cards helps with memory) and then combine them all by dragging them into an Exam deck closer to the exam.
2. Cram mode with x number of cards each day where x = however many cards you have divided by the number of days you have to do them - works best as a review after learning the material well.
3. Cloze helps me memorize rote memorization things, like when a lecturer has a really testable bullet point but doesn't go into depth (eg this disease is strongly associated with this disease - why? No one knows so just memorize it)

Reactions: 1 user
Save yourself a bunch of time & energy and download the "Zanki" deck online.

Create two decks on Anki, "Current" and "Past"

At the beginning of each block move everything from that section into "Current" review 1-2 hours/day.

At the end of each block move everything from "Current" to "Past", review 1-2 hours/day. Continue to review "Current" 1-2 hours/day.

Get to STEP1, know everything already, profit.

EDIT: I understand that ZANKI can be overwhelming in scope, so if you want you can add everything that you go over in lectures piecemeal instead of the entire section. AKA add Hashimoto's thyroiditis instead of the whole Endocrine section.

Hi all,

So I've been making a lot of progress in school with flashcard based learning. I switched from Quizlet to Anki because their algorithm seems a little smarter. As we all know, Anki isn't very user friendly and I'm reaching out to see if any experts can recommend settings:

• Should I make one large deck for each test rather than individual ones for each class? Like "Exam 3" and put any and all exam 3 related cards in there?
  • What are the best settings for ingesting about 1000 cards in a few weeks?
  • Does anyone use close or reverse cards?
  • Any other general recommendations
Posting in both DO and MD, hope that's ok
Make one large deck for each test. I used Anki during the latter stages of undergrad and in my first year of med school. Try making one large deck for each test. Just review and then add cards. When I did this for classes with cumulative finals, I didn’t even have to study for the finals.

I’ve since given up on it for regular classes since I can get similar grades without it and save tons of time — the Anki grind results in me getting 95-100 on the test and finishing in 10 minutes, but it destroys my soul. I plan to go back to it (in moderation) during rotations and then for Step 1 (we take step after rotations), and then I can’t wait to finally be freed from it forever.