Anki memory-optimizing background colors/fonts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groy

Birdie
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I've read a few studies from the cognitive science world that have outlined certain background colors for paper, notes, highlighting, etc. and their potential correlations to optimizing memory. Seems like there's no clear consensus; some studies cite warm colors like yellow for paper color or red for text color as the most effective, some seem to back cool, dark colors like "hunter green", and some say there seems to be no correlation at all between color and improved memory.

Similarly, some studies say that reading typical fonts (times, arial, etc) is not as effective for optimal retention as less traditional fonts that are more fanciful (cooper, french script, or even comic sans - yes, comic sans).

We already know that anki is an amazing learning tool on its own, and it really needs no extra flair, but I'm just wondering, do any of you find that having switched to a certain background color/font scheme has allowed you to gain even more memory benefit? Or perhaps a combo that is just more appealing to look at? I'm using a navy blue background with white text and I don't really notice a memory difference either way - I just like the look.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is already an issue with anki use and context giving away answers more so than card content.

Specialized fonts, colors, bolding and italicizing further increase background noise/context that can give away answers.

Having said that, if the “back” or “answer” side of cards have a lot of these things, I don’t see why that would be a problem and could be somewhat helpful if you are a visual learner.

Reactions: 1 user
There is already an issue with anki use and context giving away answers more so than card content.

Specialized fonts, colors, bolding and italicizing further increase background noise/context that can give away answers.

Having said that, if the “back” or “answer” side of cards have a lot of these things, I don’t see why that would be a problem and could be somewhat helpful if you are a visual learner.
If every card has the same specialized font (as would happen if you just change the global font settings for that Card type) then prompting isn't an issue.

I agree that the most important part of learning to use Anki is learning to make good cards that don't give you too many contextual clues.

I will suggest to use Bold letters to optimize background color or fonts. it will also give you the benefit of low space.