anki users dealing with sets or lists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cole Trickle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Anki users. I was curious how you format your cards for lists of symptoms or sets of information. For example, here is a list of findings in a fragile X patient: macroorchidism (enlarged testes), long face with a large jaw, large everted ears, autism, mitral valve prolapse.

How do you format the knowledge into flash cards, to avoid asking "what happens in fragile X?" followed by a long difficult to remember list.

I was reading this in the 20 rules of formatting knowledge: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/20rules.htm #9 avoid sets.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading through the site you linked and thinking what if you did:

What are the facial features of a person with fragile X?
What happens in the heart to a person with fragile X?

etc

Because reading your site that's how they broke down - what countries are part of the EU, and instead which joined when/etc.

Also, what if you made little sample cases for yourself on anki after you learned it with the questions above. A patient walks in with (list of symptoms), what's the disease? Or, what's the pathophysiology/etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, I made a youtube video explaining what you want. It was easier than typing it. Let me know if that's what you mean
http://youtu.be/XcNVj3g2uIk

I was reading through the site you linked and thinking what if you did:

What are the facial features of a person with fragile X?
What happens in the heart to a person with fragile X?

etc

Because reading your site that's how they broke down - what countries are part of the EU, and instead which joined when/etc.

Also, what if you made little sample cases for yourself on anki after you learned it with the questions above. A patient walks in with (list of symptoms), what's the disease? Or, what's the pathophysiology/etc?

Wow, thanks for the video and advice. These are good ideas.

I think this is a difficult problem because sometimes we have lists of 10 symptoms and I've even thought, "there must be a reason, what if I look it up in Wiki or Harrison's" and they don't even know the reason why ______ is associated with a certain syndrome. So it's just pure memorization of a long list which is hard.

Thanks again both. Very useful and I'm still playing with ideas on how to do this. I will admit, I was very intimidated by the process to create templates and lists of Q's and I'm kind of a tech person. Thx.

I like the reverse question too: patient walks in with all these symptoms, what is the syndrome. Great idea.

Last edited:
You're welcome. Your post helped me as well, as it explained why it was so difficult to remember things like: what are the symptoms for X, and then you're expected to regurgitate 10 things. And then you have 5 diseases or whatever a lecture and by the end it's just endless lists without rhyme or reason to them.

I like the reverse too because then you have to think like a doctor/what you would in clinic.

Mdard,
That video was helpful for me as well so thank you. One question though - you mention that you can see all four answers on there, so that's a downside. Why wouldn't you just make four separate cards at that point so you don't see the other answers?

That video was helpful for me as well so thank you. One question though - you mention that you can see all four answers on there, so that's a downside. Why wouldn't you just make four separate cards at that point so you don't see the other answers?

You could, but that requires making 4 separate flashcards (8 sides) instead of 1 with 5 sides,which anki turns into 4 cards. Plus, it is kinda nice to see all those symptoms there together. The only real issue is if you get another question with the same answer in that same study session. I think anki actually stops that from happening, or at least they aren't one right after the other, because you created "sibling" cards.

What are some cool decks for studying CK that i can modify on?

Has anyone got down to make one for Harrisons yet?

What about highlighting the symptoms and making a catchy acronym?

Front
What are the symptoms of Fragile X?

Back
Which disease has these symptoms?
- long Face
- large everted Ears,
- Macroorchidism
- Autism,
- Mitral valve prolapse.

Extra
Fragile-X = FEM jAM

One note, two cards! No fragmentation of information. Not really a set since you just need to remember FEM jAM which is a cue for everything else.

Another example

Front
Main autoimmune disorders

Back
Myasthenia gravis
Glomerulonephritis
Multiple sclerosis
Graves disease
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Type I DM

Extra
MG-MG-RST
(Machine Gun, Machine Gun, lmnopqRSTuvwxyzz...)

The sillier the better.

The problem I have with reverse cards is that I wind up memorizing the front of the card, so I can get the correct answer by reading the first three words / first symptom.

Something that mixes up the order of the symptoms, and maybe presents them 2 or 3 at a time would be better.