Anki vs Firecracker for cumulative finals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyk123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So just finished my first semester and I'd like to do better during final exams. Our final exams are cumulative but they tend to be more general/easier than block exams. I felt like if I had spent a little bit of time consistently reviewing even for a couple of my classes like anatomy and biochem then I would have cut down on the amount of cramming I had to do during finals.

So I am currently thinking about making anki cards for anatomy. I plan to make about 6 cards per lecture which should work well considering that our finals don't focus on the minutiae. At 6 cards/lec * 3 anatomy lecs/wk I should be making about 18 cards/wk. If I did both anatomy and biochem I'd be making ~40 cards per week.

My other option is to use firecracker. Would it be a good idea to use firecracker just for 2-3 classes? One issue is that this semester is known to be very time consuming which is why I do not think I'll have the time to do >1hr of firecracker daily.

Is anki the better option for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Idk... 18 cards a week doesnt exactly seem like it is going to boost you very much lol. At that point you are basically just hoping that whatever you wrote down on your card was a test question. There are some slides at my school that would take more than 6 cards, I cant imagine only doing 6 cards per lecture. You just gotta decide how bad you want it. Either way if you are doing anki or firecracker you are going to spend 1-3 hours each day doing it (not including the time to make your own cards for anki). If you dont wanna put in that time I would say just be content with where you are at or try a different strategy of reviewing you notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk... 18 cards a week doesnt exactly seem like it is going to boost you very much lol. At that point you are basically just hoping that whatever you wrote down on your card was a test question. There are some slides at my school that would take more than 6 cards, I cant imagine only doing 6 cards per lecture. You just gotta decide how bad you want it. Either way if you are doing anki or firecracker you are going to spend 1-3 hours each day doing it (not including the time to make your own cards for anki). If you dont wanna put in that time I would say just be content with where you are at or try a different strategy of reviewing you notes.

The thing is if I was making anki cards for block exams then I agree there could be 6 cards per just 1 slide. But at my school the final tends to be way more broad which is why I would only focus on broad concepts. So in that case 6 cards per lecture would cover the 4-6 general concepts in a single lecture

Wouldn't I be spending less than 1hr/day doing it if I'm only making ~40 cards per week? I'm pretty fast with anki and I can make cards that cover broad general concepts quickly.

The thing is if I was making anki cards for block exams then I agree there could be 6 cards per just 1 slide. But at my school the final tends to be way more broad which is why I would only focus on broad concepts. So in that case 6 cards per lecture would cover the 4-6 general concepts in a single lecture

Wouldn't I be spending less than 1hr/day doing it if I'm only making ~40 cards per week? I'm pretty fast with anki and I can make cards that cover broad general concepts quickly.
You'd be spending maybe a few minutes on anki doing it that way.

Firecracker would cover more material, but also take more time. Your call.

Firecracker is less specific but more comprehensive. I personally liked Anki better.