Anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would Anki work for a class like evolutionary biology? I will be taking it over summer, and was wondering if I should test out Anki now to get used to it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
+1. Would like some "intro to Anki" as well, but for MCAT studying.

I dont see why you couldn't use it. You can use it for most classes from my experience.

I typically use it as my note system and write them out in the form of questions I could see the teacher asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont see why you couldn't use it. You can use it for most classes from my experience.

I typically use it as my note system and write them out in the form of questions I could see the teacher asking.
Since this is a summer course, will I have enough time actually studying for the exams rather than creating flashcards. So what would I do? Listen to lecture, take notes, then start to create the flashcards and study them for a couple of hours each day? I never used flashcards, but I want to give Anki a try since a lot of people go by it.

Since it's on a compressed timeline, you'll definitely have to alter the settings. Probably increase # new cards/day, decrease steps (number of minutes before a card shows up if you hit again vs. if you hit correct, I like 2 and 12), and decrease graduating and easy interval (default days between cards, days between cards after you've marked easy - I like 1 and 4 for my bio, you could probably go even shorter on easy interval if exams are closely spaced in the summer). This thread explains settings better than I can probably.

I don't know how much it will help for Evolutionary bio, but absolutely download the image occlusion extension. For some things, you can make super cards really quickly, especially with diagrams in slideshows that you need to understand.

I'm in the class right now and I'm a huge Anki user. It's kinda hard to make cards for the class because most of it is big concepts and not just memorization/small facts, at least for my class. My teacher is very chill and only cares about the big picture, so take it with a grain of salt.

It all depends on a person's learning style... Anki can work for pretty much any class if you like flash cards.

If you don't have Anki, just download it and play around with it. See how it works, watch some youtube videos on it and try it for a few days. After that you'll know what you might like to use it for.

Anki makes you study flashcards on a daily basis and you can customize the setting to your liking. I use it for MCAT and have over 800 cards so far. Active learning is the best when it comes to definitions