Annoying Hurdle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was accepted to a well-known state school for my post bacs, and even though I have been living here for over 12 months, of course I didn't get my drivers license until a few months ago. And now I am having residency issues in proving my residency to the school. This will make tuition cost 5K instead of $900 for the semester.

I've sent them plane tickets, letters from employers, receipts, in person cash deposit slips to the bank, letters and banking materials with address on it. But what I can't show them is my car registration dating to 12 months, and my drivers license and voters card dating back. I only finally decided to get this stuff before the election around September.

Anyway, since there was a writers strike this year, not the best time to layout extra funds and with 2 kids, bla bla bla. So, I'm enrolled for 8 credits, working FT, have the perfect schedule set up, have it all together, books go on sale tomorrow, and now I might very well have to put this off for a semester, which equals a year when it boils out to MCAT timing. At 35, it's annoying. Considering I have 2 kids here, enrolled in schools, and more family ties than I care to show, I'm clearly not in my state for the purpose of going to school. It's quite awful.

I've spoken to the residency director, and was told to submit anything I could. So i did. And sent more in Friday upon being asked for more. I will continue to send docs in, I don't care if it's a .99 newspaper purchase. Seems I am such a clear cut case, it's kinda annoying. Any similiar experiences here in the non-trad area?

I even have notarized letters from family members to this effect. And still it seems they want more info....

Ugh,
D712

p.s. no more student loans until med school. I just won't. went to undergrad at an Ivy and federal undergrad loans are maxed at 50Kish.

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to consider the fact that if this ends up costing you a year in terms of med school application, that usually medical school tuition goes up every year. Granted, it might not be by 5k, but it could very well be by 1500-2500 or so, depending on the school. So from that standpoint you are likely costing yourself some money down the line, at the same time you'd be saving yourself 4k now. Just something to think about. 4-5k is a drop in the bucket anyhow when you consider the large amount of money it's going to cost you if/when you have to pay for 4 years of medical school.

being military with an out of state license and background, i had a similar problem. I showed them the earliest month's worth of utility bills I could find....power, cable, water, trash, phone...etc. hope it works for you! good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies. i forgot to dig out the ol AT&T bill. thats one to add to the list. best!
D712

so, despite pulling out the old bills, air tickets, bla bla bla, my school has decided it doesn't see me as an in-state student for tuition purposes. :thumbdown:

i find it ridiculous since my kids and family are here, and i have, indeed, been here since dec. 2007. so i will appeal and pull out the stops as far as paperwork and letters on my behalf are concerned. i didnt have a chance to submit it all as the decision was made before i could send some additional papers in.

anyway, i know it's only 5K extra, but as a writer in this economy, having gone through a WGA strike this year, it's 5K that id MUCH rather put toward my kids right now. to say the least.

the residency committee meets 1/7 so ill have my appeal answer shortly thereafter. of course ill be knee deep in Gen Chem and Bio at that point, and i'll have to await decision during 3rd week of class after monies have been outlaid on books etc. hoping for the best. ive really put a lot of effort toward this.

On a nice note, i spent yesterday firming up a new research position. saw a couple cardiac catheterization cases using a new technique in valve repairs and did morning rounds with the new division this morning. was nice.

D712