Hmm, is this an ANNOYING problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or nothing at all to worry about?

Hello All,

Would love to get some quick advice so I can fix if need be.

Short version: I was expecting to apply last year, but for work reasons, am applying now. I am getting ready to attach all my LORs from Interfolio to AMCAS and apply get verified ASAP. Having said that, many (if not all) of my LORs were written 12-15 months ago (for the 2010-2011 cycle), that I never used...

I would like to use each and every one of these letters, from Profs, Docs, Supervisors etc. They are all still very close contacts/mentors etc.

As I finalize this tonight and get ready to hit the button, I notice, on Baylor's website, a reach school for me, but whatevs, we all need a few, that they don't accept LORs that are "more than 1 year old."

Well, that sucks for Baylor (actually, it sucks for my app to Baylor, because while I have 8 letters to choose from, I'd have to get 3 of these updated tout de suite for Baylor specifically, at a minimum.)

How do I handle with the other 30 schools I'm applying to? Will this be an issue - I don't need ANY red flags btw... I really thought, and got advice, and perhaps it was incorrect advice, that last years' letters would be fine for this year. If this isn't the case, I have to make some calls, and I'm sure these people would update, but WHAT A HASSLE.

Please advise. Former/Current Committee/Admissions Office Members' advice would be especially helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
D712

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every school is different; you'd have to contact each school individually to ask about their policy if they don't have the info posted on their website. That would be a pain in the butt too.

You basically have three choices: 1) get the letters updated, 2) don't apply to Baylor, or 3) apply to Baylor but don't send the out-of-date letters to them. Considering that most schools only require three letters and will only accept a maximum of six letters anyway, if it were me, I'd go with option #3. Submitting five LORs is more than sufficient, and exceeding six LORs is unwise unless the school explicitly states that they will accept additional letters.

Ok, thank you. In a heated moment of post-SDN posting panic I wrote to the 3 docs per your post, the 3 most important LOR docs, and have already been contacted by all 3 to resend interfolio requests. technically, they are all more than 12 mos old, thus, all out of date.

so, by time i calm down, this should be resolved. i give it a week.

hybrid option #1 slash #3 it is.

D712