1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Hmm, is this an ANNOYING problem?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by doctor712, Aug 1, 2011.

1. doctor712

Removed 2+ Year Member

Or nothing at all to worry about?

Hello All,

Would love to get some quick advice so I can fix if need be.

Short version: I was expecting to apply last year, but for work reasons, am applying now. I am getting ready to attach all my LORs from Interfolio to AMCAS and apply get verified ASAP. Having said that, many (if not all) of my LORs were written 12-15 months ago (for the 2010-2011 cycle), that I never used...

I would like to use each and every one of these letters, from Profs, Docs, Supervisors etc. They are all still very close contacts/mentors etc.

As I finalize this tonight and get ready to hit the button, I notice, on Baylor's website, a reach school for me, but whatevs, we all need a few, that they don't accept LORs that are "more than 1 year old."

Well, that sucks for Baylor (actually, it sucks for my app to Baylor, because while I have 8 letters to choose from, I'd have to get 3 of these updated tout de suite for Baylor specifically, at a minimum.)

How do I handle with the other 30 schools I'm applying to? Will this be an issue - I don't need ANY red flags btw... I really thought, and got advice, and perhaps it was incorrect advice, that last years' letters would be fine for this year. If this isn't the case, I have to make some calls, and I'm sure these people would update, but WHAT A HASSLE.

Please advise. Former/Current Committee/Admissions Office Members' advice would be especially helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
    D712

#1 doctor712, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Every school is different; you'd have to contact each school individually to ask about their policy if they don't have the info posted on their website. That would be a pain in the butt too.

You basically have three choices: 1) get the letters updated, 2) don't apply to Baylor, or 3) apply to Baylor but don't send the out-of-date letters to them. Considering that most schools only require three letters and will only accept a maximum of six letters anyway, if it were me, I'd go with option #3. Submitting five LORs is more than sufficient, and exceeding six LORs is unwise unless the school explicitly states that they will accept additional letters.

4. doctor712

Removed 2+ Year Member

Ok, thank you. In a heated moment of post-SDN posting panic I wrote to the 3 docs per your post, the 3 most important LOR docs, and have already been contacted by all 3 to resend interfolio requests. technically, they are all more than 12 mos old, thus, all out of date.

so, by time i calm down, this should be resolved. i give it a week.

hybrid option #1 slash #3 it is.

D712