Anonymous MD Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here, but I've been curious for a while why so many people make their MD Apps anonymous, at least during application season. I'm kind of newish to this site, so I don't really know the conventions. Only thing I didn't reveal on mine was my undergrad institution, just cause I think that might give me away, and I'd feel awkward one of my friends stumbling on here and finding me. But most people leave everything out, especially extracurriculars. What's the harm in someone knowing a brief description of some of your activities?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a very vague description of my extracurriculars but left out specifics because, just like you leaving out your undergrad name, I figured they made me easily identifiable. I don't mind close friends stumbling upon it, I tell them everything anyway, but am a little less comfortable with random acquaintances knowing specifics of how my cycle is going.

So what I have in the description is something I believe is sufficient to provide some information about my application without identifying me (although adcoms can easily determine who I am). But that's my personal evaluation of what's sufficient, others might have a different standard for what they think can identify them.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCARY. Feels a little late to make myself anonymous now, but I'll definitely be more careful with what I say from now on. Thanks.

Its hard to go back to anonymity. I have classmates on here that have actively asked me if I was Bacchus. Although I don't mind and am quite vocal on SDN, I do like to keep my internet and real lives separate.

Its hard to go back to anonymity. I have classmates on here that have actively asked me if I was Bacchus. Although I don't mind and am quite vocal on SDN, I do like to keep my internet and real lives separate.

Smart idea, I introduced my roomate to another forum I am somewhat active on and he registered and he knows my username... so now I feel like I can't fully express myself because I know that he knows what I'm saying. Its 100% better to be anonymous.

I think I'm pretty much OK with what I've said here. As such, not really hiding anything in my profile, except my name and social.