Another Army HPSP question...since my recruiter is clueless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmeshy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to cover all bases here before I consider this scholarship. People here have been quite helpful, so I'm counting on you folks.

First off, I am prior service Air Force PJ (so am somewhat aquainted with military med. and the ops tempo). Lifestyle and military expectations are not my concern, and I understand that uncle sam may have better use of me than what I desire.

So, biggest concern is GME. Am I understanding correctly that I have to choose 5 match spots Army before I can select civy spots? I know my future practice ideas may change, but currently I am interested in PM&R. The Army currently only has 4 PGY-2 slots at Walter Reed and also does have a prelim slot didicated for PMR folks (not sure how many posititions there are though).

1. So, can I apply during my Sub-I year to the PMR program or do I have to first apply for the prelim slot and then reapply later for the PMR position? Can I apply for both at the same time in the Sub-I year?

2. Since there is only one PMR program, what do I do about filling those four other slots for the army match? Do I just apply to four other prelim slots and then the following year apply to the PMR program?

3. Say I don't make it into one of those 4 PMR slots, what then? GMO? Or can I do a civy deferment?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions later...As always, thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

cmeshy said:
I'm trying to cover all bases here before I consider this scholarship. People here have been quite helpful, so I'm counting on you folks.

First off, I am prior service Air Force PJ (so am somewhat aquainted with military med. and the ops tempo). Lifestyle and military expectations are not my concern, and I understand that uncle sam may have better use of me than what I desire.

So, biggest concern is GME. Am I understanding correctly that I have to choose 5 match spots Army before I can select civy spots? I know my future practice ideas may change, but currently I am interested in PM&R. The Army currently only has 4 PGY-2 slots at Walter Reed and also does have a prelim slot didicated for PMR folks (not sure how many posititions there are though).

1. So, can I apply during my Sub-I year to the PMR program or do I have to first apply for the prelim slot and then reapply later for the PMR position? Can I apply for both at the same time in the Sub-I year?

2. Since there is only one PMR program, what do I do about filling those four other slots for the army match? Do I just apply to four other prelim slots and then the following year apply to the PMR program?

3. Say I don't make it into one of those 4 PMR slots, what then? GMO? Or can I do a civy deferment?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions later...As always, thanks for your help!

from what i heard, PM R was extremely difficult to get in in the army, more so than derm, rad, etc.. no civ def was given. so if you didn't get in, you had to do a prelim or transitional and then do GMO tour. even then, there would be no gurantees.

cmeshy said:

1. If you want PMR, then you'll probably have three shots to apply for it if you so choose. Even with continuous contracts, most programs hold a spot or two open specifically for interns or GMOs. You could potentially apply as a senior medical student, then again as an intern, and then again after a GMO tour.

2. You would rank the PMR program first, then you are required to fill the balance with transitional year programs. Ideally, if you were equally interested in, let's say, anesthesia, you could rank those programs 2-5. Unfortunately, the Army doesn't let you do that; once you've chosen a specialty, you're stuck with it.

cmeshy said:

I would recommend calling the PM&R program director at Walter Reed and ask your questions directly. You might get better results.