another chances thread and question about NSG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hey everyone, MS3 here. Interested in surgery and trying to learn more about each surgical field. I also really enjoyed psych and neurology. Just wondering what I would need to do to become competitive for NSG. My step 1 is on the low end (upper 230s). I have research experience (2 presentations/posters; 2 co-author pubs) but not in NSG. So basically after reading the threads in order to match I would need to crush step 2 (around 250 or higher), possibly start some NSG research, maybe take a flex year to do research, network at my home institution, and get good LORs. Any other advice? Is a flex year necessary at this point halfway through third year?

Also regarding NSG as a field, do most attendings work 60+ hours a week? I used to scribe for a neurogsurgeon during my gap years and he said he worked 100+ hours a week. He mainly was a neurovascular surgeon.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your late interest and weaker than average boards scores a year off would do a lot to improve your application. Necessary is hard to say but you definitely have more to gain than someone with a 250+ and 10 nsg pubs.

Depends on what you want out of neurosurgery. You will have long hours some of the time unavoidably. You never know how long a case will truly take when you cut skin. Academic neurosurgeons tend to put in more hours than private practice. Lower hours might also mean less appealing location and less money, just depends on what is important to you.

Are you willing to apply to all 109 programs and go anywhere even the booniest of boonies for 7yrs of 80+hr weeks. Be really ****ing honest with yourself - because neurosurg in places like Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Seattle is probably completely out.

Also, in regard to hours, 60/wk is low for surgical subs - ortho, neurosurg, academic GS (that’s 6a-6p 5d/wk ... practically kinda cush)