another dumb premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dollarbincommon

apple fritters are good
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought about posting this in the DO sections, but I thought this can apply to Everyone.

Anyways, this is just another dumb premed asking questions about premed things. Here it goes:

It is about Letter of Recommendations (LOR). I asked a doctor to write me an LOR. But he said that I was welcome to write it for him, which is good. The problem is that I didn't really shadow him. He was just my parent's family physician. He just knows my parents, but not me very well (Well, they tell him a lot of things about me). Anyways, I can't really write anything about me from his perspective.

I mean, my parents took him out for lunch, and a couple breakfasts. Add to the fact that he started dating my cousin. And that my mom is inviting him for dinner sometime the next week.

That's basically my "dilemma". I have an "LOR" from an MD that I'm just getting because he's a family friend, but I didn't do anything (ie. shadow) with him. And you can't really shadow him because he is a psychiatrist. He basically talks to his patients, who most of them have depression, stress, etc.. nothing life-threatning. And it's not like I can be in his office while he is in session with his patients.

If anyone can give me some input, some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Easy. Find another doctor. Shadow him or her. Get an LOR. After all, the whole point of an LOR is for someone else, not you yourself, to shine a positive light on you. I hate it when people you approach for a recommendation ask you to write it out yourself and get it signed by them. That just says lazy and uncaring to me, and I'ld rather not get a recommendation from such a character. But, that's just me. If you think you can write an honest and convincing LOR from someone else's perspective, who am I to say that you shouldn't?

i don't think med schools want LORs from doctors that you haven't worked with in some way (e.g. volunteering or shadowing or research).

so i would recommend getting an LOR from someone else. you don't need an LOR from a doc anyway (for allopathic anyway).

EDIT: i just realized that you're applying D.O. and maybe you do need a letter from a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow him for a couple days... then write yourself a glowing lor have him sign it and you're skippy.

Get that DO book that everyone recommends, can't remember which one it was ( I am an MD student but I also applied DO), read it (don't worry its pretty thin), then ask a DO a bunch of questions about osteopathic medicine based on your reading of the book, pressure him into letting you shadow him (requirement at alot of DO schools), then write the letter of recommendation saying so and so (you) seems genuinely interested in and is very informed about osteopathic medicine, blah, blah , so and so shadowed me on such and such dates, blah blah, I have known so and so and his/her family for blah blah yrs, they are very nice people blah blah, I think so/so will make excellent osteopathic blah blah,

note: I just reread your post.....might be better to go for a primary care doc as that is what DO schools are geared for......if you can make it a primary care DO that is the best...also you should shadow that primary care DO or MD......Try hard to find a primary care DO....

How many physicians are really willing to write a recommendation for you after they've only known you for a day or two? Isn't it like bribing (btw.. anyone who has bribed a physician before?)? How many physicians are willing to let you shadow them for longer periods of time without feeling the risks of incurring liabilities? I feel like I'm in a double blind here, but I'd really like to know.

Originally posted by Looksgoodonya!!
Get that DO book that everyone recommends, can't remember which one it was ( I am an MD student but I also applied DO), read it (don't worry its pretty thin), then ask a DO a bunch of questions about osteopathic medicine based on your reading of the book, pressure him into letting you shadow him (requirement at alot of DO schools), then write the letter of recommendation saying so and so (you) seems genuinely interested in and is very informed about osteopathic medicine, blah, blah , so and so shadowed me on such and such dates, blah blah, I have known so and so and his/her family for blah blah yrs, they are very nice people blah blah, I think so/so will make excellent osteopathic blah blah,

note: I just reread your post.....might be better to go for a primary care doc as that is what DO schools are geared for......if you can make it a primary care DO that is the best...also you should shadow that primary care DO or MD......Try hard to find a primary care DO....

What is the name of that book?

Update: Well, I did a couple of informal interviews with the doctor about medicine, medical school, patients, etc... We talked about his reasons to get into medicine, and mines. So, that is what I basically did and I'll be writing the LOR.

Thanks guys for the help. :)

I know one doc who wrote a letter for me took a copy of my resume, personal statement and some other essays and used that material to write a letter saying "this young man did this, this and I think the fact he did this shoes he'll be a great physician...so I guess thats cool too cause ti shows he knows me...i guess.

I think the book you're looking for is "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz. Its pretty thin, and interesting too.

Wow, I wish I had your problem. I would just ask him if there are any patients were you could possibly listen in on (which probably won't happen), and then writting a letter that is beyong anything you have ever wished for. Can you ask him if I can write one with his name on it? haha j/k

I agree with a previous post. Say that you have gotten together on many occasions and always strike up a conversation about osteopathic medicine. Example: "He is such an avid learner and seems very dedicated to the field. Although because I am a psychiatrist, he can't shadow me in field, I strongly believe that he has the mental capacity to not only survive, but to succeed in all aspects of life. He will make great contributions and continue the popular traditions that have established our vital force in the health care field. blah blah blah"

Originally posted by dollarbincommon
I thought about posting this in the DO sections, but I thought this can apply to Everyone.

Anyways, this is just another dumb premed asking questions about premed things. Here it goes:

It is about Letter of Recommendations (LOR). I asked a doctor to write me an LOR. But he said that I was welcome to write it for him, which is good. The problem is that I didn't really shadow him. He was just my parent's family physician. He just knows my parents, but not me very well (Well, they tell him a lot of things about me). Anyways, I can't really write anything about me from his perspective.

I mean, my parents took him out for lunch, and a couple breakfasts. Add to the fact that he started dating my cousin. And that my mom is inviting him for dinner sometime the next week.

That's basically my "dilemma". I have an "LOR" from an MD that I'm just getting because he's a family friend, but I didn't do anything (ie. shadow) with him. And you can't really shadow him because he is a psychiatrist. He basically talks to his patients, who most of them have depression, stress, etc.. nothing life-threatning. And it's not like I can be in his office while he is in session with his patients.

If anyone can give me some input, some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)
You should schedule time to shadow him. Then you won't feel as bad writing your own LOR.

We talked about his reasons to get into medicine, and mines.

Mines. What do explosive ordinances have to do with med school. Sorry could not resist.

Don't some Osteo schools require a DO LOR. Not sure if it matters to some schools.

As far as LOR's are concerned. I say find the nearest teaching hospital. See if they have a education department or center for education. This would be the same department that handles the incoming residents and/or Med students. Ask them if they have any ways to shadow or do some work/study time with a physician. Chances are they might be able to accomodate you or direct you to the person that can. Try the local hospital website. I say a teaching hospital b/c that is what I did and was able to obtain 3 D.O. LOR's (actually 4 but turned the 4th one down and it was from the ER chief resident.). It just so happens that one of the LOR's was from a PCOM faculty member. Luck at its greatest. Needless to say I think that sealed the deal for me at PCOM.

Good Luck
Raptor5

I know the guys are really big on liability issues and patient privacy, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!