Another GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKSD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So do they see or care about when your classes were taken at first glance, or only when you get to secondaries or interview? The reason I ask is that I started off slowly with 2 C's in my 2nd semester while still trying to adjust to having to study in college Chem II, Calc II with around a 2.95-3.0cum gpa at that point (, but my GPA went up every semester after that and ended around a 3.45 cum after junior and senior year were above 3.8.

Members don't see this ad.

So do they see or care about when your classes were taken at first glance, or only when you get to secondaries or interview? The reason I ask is that I started off slowly with 2 C's in my 2nd semester while still trying to adjust to having to study in college Chem II, Calc II with around a 2.95-3.0cum gpa at that point (, but my GPA went up every semester after that and ended around a 3.45 cum after junior and senior year were above 3.8.

My premed advisor said that for MOST schools in the U.S., you want your GPA to be as close to a 3.5 as possible. If it's not 3.5, adcoms will take a look to see why your GPA may not be there. They'll see that you did much better as time went on and that after you got serious about going to medical school then you did a lot better. That's how she said they look at GPAs for screening processes. Then once they see your GPA has gotten better then they'll determine if you get secondaries/interviews etc. and it sounds like you'll have no problem.

It depends. Some schools will automatically reject you if your GPA is below a certain threshold, but most thresholds are well below 3.45, so you should be OK. Grade trends and the difficulty of coursework are generally considered in admissions, although their importance is debatable (and has been debated here before).