another happy reapplicant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airpotato

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a late applicant --(file-completed-around-december-idiot-applicant)

Anywhoo, I've been waitlisted, and I'm still patiently waiting to hear back from another place, BUT in the meantime, I'm thinking about reapplying just to be ready.

I don't really intend on receiving any new-and-awesome grades, with the exception of this spring semester's grades, but I do plan on doing something in the dental field + research to strengthen that area of my application during my potentially forced sabbatical year.

Question is, how do I show that on my application, if I'm going to submit it pretty much the first day that the AADSAS app. comes out? Any reapplicants out there, help me out with a bit of strategy here? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

add it to your personal statement, and make sure to include how it has prepared you and what you've learned. Plus, if you do any volunteering or working you can add that to the spot on the app for it. Add anything you do, make yourself look good!
I'm trying to go to grad school this fall, and I also would like to retake the DAT. When it comes to reapplying, you should try to improve more than one thing. I'm trying to tackle everything I can.

Wow potato, I had to check who started this thread, to make sure I wasn't accidetally sleep-posting. I could have SWORN I wrote it. Word for word. Anyway, I can't help much, I've been wondering the exact same question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your spring semester grades will go into the next application. Presumably, this will boost your GPA. I would also suggest you discuss what you've done in the past year to make yourself a better applicant. This can come up on the extracurriculars or the work experience or in your personal statement. If it were up to me, I would use the personal statement to explain why I want to be a dentist and what life experiences I've had that show not only why dentistry but why I'm a compasssionate and caring person who would make a terrific health care provider.

I wouldn't dwell on the fact that you are a reapplicant. Only one school seemed to be aware of the fact that I reapplied and asked me why I reapplied in the interview. I got the impression from that interview that they were looking for someone looking forward to the future rather than trying to figure out what went wrong in the past.

Your spring semester grades will go into the next application. Presumably, this will boost your GPA. I would also suggest you discuss what you've done in the past year to make yourself a better applicant. This can come up on the extracurriculars or the work experience or in your personal statement. If it were up to me, I would use the personal statement to explain why I want to be a dentist and what life experiences I've had that show not only why dentistry but why I'm a compasssionate and caring person who would make a terrific health care provider.

I wouldn't dwell on the fact that you are a reapplicant. Only one school seemed to be aware of the fact that I reapplied and asked me why I reapplied in the interview. I got the impression from that interview that they were looking for someone looking forward to the future rather than trying to figure out what went wrong in the past.

Is it equally as OK to put what you PLAN to do during this year? I graduated in December, and am planning to re-take the DAT in July, start a post-bacc in sept, and volunteer and work . . . however, I have not done any of that YET (esp if i submit my app ASAP). It all just seems so hypothetical; how can I make it seem real?