Another 'I need advice,' Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybugMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Graduated 2003, BS (double majored and minored); super subpar GPA (c2.4, s2.5).
  • Graduated 2008, MS; GPA 3.2
  • MCAT 22R (taken 4 yrs ago; have been preparing the last 4 months and scoring 29-31 on practice tests; retake in March)
  • Clocked in 150+ hours of volunteer research experience, numerous abstract submissions (3 first author)
  • State and National EMT-B certification
  • Currently working as clinical research associate (2 years)
Considering:

1) Second 4-yr BS degree to improve prereq GPA?
2) Unofficial postbac program to retake all prereqs taken over 7 years ago?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't retake the MCAT yet. You have a long time before your undergrad work will be done, in which time your MCAT score will expire. It doesn't help your story to need multiple MCAT retakes to get a good score, regardless: med students who need multiple tries on exams/boards are a liability for med schools.

I suggest that you should look into moving to Texas, which is the only opportunity to wipe out your existing undergrad record. Otherwise, that 2.4 follows you forever.

First thing to be extremely concerned about: how are you to start getting A's? Every grade you get from here out, that isn't an A, is another step away from med school. Wanting A's isn't interesting. Doing the hard, boring, constant, never-ending work of studying and honing study skills is how to get A's. It's the exception, not the rule, when a low-GPA student can figure out how to start getting A's, not just in one class, not just in one term, but for years in a boatload of very difficult courses...which is what's between you and med school, initially.

More info on low GPA strategy can be found in the FAQ at the top of the forum. Such as: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=827879

Best of luck to you.

Thank you - this is the first I've heard about 'fresh start' Texas offers, but will certainly look into it. Best.