Another IMG!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurdishmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a 4th year medical student (5 year program) in Royal college of surgeons in Ireland - Bahrain, planning to do my residency in Canada. I have the PR and I'm aware of the difficult path ahead of me :D...I just have a couple of questions.

I've heard that fresh graduates have better chances in getting residency spots...I'm planning to do research in Canada for a year after my graduation in 2014. Will I still be considered a fresh graduate if I apply a year after my graduation?

My other option is sitting the mccee by the end of this year and apply through carms..but I havent done any electives in Canada, I will be doing an elective in Feb 2014. Are they going to consider the elective if I mention it on my CV?

I'm kinda lost. Will doing research after graduation increase my chances in getting a residency spot? Should I sit the mccee this year and apply without doing the research?

I'd appreciate some help.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that fresh graduates have better chances in getting residency spots...I'm planning to do research in Canada for a year after my graduation in 2014. Will I still be considered a fresh graduate if I apply a year after my graduation?

No.

My other option is sitting the mccee by the end of this year and apply through carms..but I havent done any electives in Canada, I will be doing an elective in Feb 2014. Are they going to consider the elective if I mention it on my CV?

The point of doing electives in Canada is to meet people and network and make a good impression at a program. However, most programs have already ranked applicants by mid-Feb (after interviews in any case), so I don't know that an elective then will have much effect.

What are you planning to apply for?

I'm kinda lost. Will doing research after graduation increase my chances in getting a residency spot? Should I sit the mccee this year and apply without doing the research?

I'd appreciate some help.

It really depends on what you're applying for. Research is not irrelevant in CaRMS but it is far from the most important thing. What you need are electives in Canada and, even more crucially, strong letters from Canadian physicians. Have you done much research into where and for what you'd apply?

It really depends on what you're applying for. Research is not irrelevant in CaRMS but it is far from the most important thing. What you need are electives in Canada and, even more crucially, strong letters from Canadian physicians. Have you done much research into where and for what you'd apply?

I don't really know much about where to apply and what to apply for. Canada wasn't in my plans, but I got my PR a month ago so I guess now I have a better chance in Canada.

From what I've read on different forums and websites, Ontario has the most residency spots to offer. But I shouldn't limit applications to one province.
I'm really new to this. Do you think IMGs in general have better chances in Ontario?

Its too late to apply for electives this summer. So any advice regarding my next step? Should I take the risk by applying this year? Should I wait till after graduation, do electives for a year then apply?

I really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read on different forums and websites, Ontario has the most residency spots to offer. But I shouldn't limit applications to one province.
I'm really new to this. Do you think IMGs in general have better chances in Ontario?

Everyone wants to move to Ontario or at least around the GTA. I'd think because of the stiffer competition (even though more spots), would in turn mean you have a lower chance to get in here. Maybe SK or MB might be better?

there are a glut Canadian Med school graduates and a glut of Canadian-born IMG's from Australia and Europe who are in competition for these Canadian residency positions.
The US is still the best place to obtain a residency.

Last edited:
I became a permanent resident of Canada recently (did the landing process just a month ago). PR expires in a couple of years. So it shouldn't be a problem.

So if I get one elective done, get a couple of LORs, do research for a year after graduation and try to ace the exams. What are my chances? Should I even consider Canada?
Is one elective with strong LORs enough to get me anywhere?

I became a permanent resident of Canada recently (did the landing process just a month ago). PR expires in a couple of years. So it shouldn't be a problem.

So if I get one elective done, get a couple of LORs, do research for a year after graduation and try to ace the exams. What are my chances? Should I even consider Canada?
Is one elective with strong LORs enough to get me anywhere?

Its strong enough to offer you an interview at some places in FM or Psych. Other specialties i'm not so sure. You need to impress the doctors on your elective. Do your elective where you want to apply for residency. Try to impress the doctors there and if you do, it will help your app.

You should probably give us a rough estimation of your class rank, what are your ECs so far. If you are currently just middle of your class or worse, you probably only have a shot at FM. If you are at the top of your class, this will translate on your MCCEEs, and probably your ECs and electives which means you have a shot at other specialties maybe.

What are your other options? Have you thought about the US? other countries?

keep in mind you won't be able to do electives in canada after you graduate. if you plan on doing a research year after graduation, get your electives in NOW and keep those contacts so they can write you letters when the time comes to apply

Kurdis,

The more I read, listen and ponder, I would suggest this....go for it with a plan B.:)
I know of many students who were in my class, below me and above my year, who are now working in ON. It just happens that 4 who come to mind were Canadian IMGs, but recently I saw two girls who were Jordanian but schooled in the same college and made it into Canada. I also know of a guy who was from Iraq and he's in Vancouver for the last 3 years. He also was from the same college. So why can't you be one of the hopefuls? Some worked before...some didn't.

RCSI is a very good college and well recognized in Canada. If you are single, better yet because you can work in other provinces and eventually work yourself to live in ON. It really is a matter of TRYING! You are still young so why not? You can always work in Bahrain, UK, Ireland,etc if all else fails!

People seem to regard Canada as their last golden ticket to life. Let's be practical - it's a choice to move there and not the only option for a good livelihood in the developed world. I am aware of the challenges people face when non-EU but immigration issues are equally as huge in Canada. Many of the migrants were top professionals in their nations seeking a better life. Sadly many end up in low key working jobs/environments. I don't think it's always about racism, I think it's based on approval of standards. This is the case faced by many people who would be from developing countries. Sad but true.

So where does it leave you? Take heed of the costs to apply to physiciansapply.ca and carms.ca. If you want to give yourself a go at being matched, try it. If you do get in, also take note of some positions which get you to pay for your first year. Also, return of service contracts. If that's not for you, look to work in a country like the UK to do your training and exams. Review the RCPSC regularly to see whether the regulations for working/accredited jurisdictions change. Go to Canada once or twice a year to retain your PR. Once your training is complete, then move to Canada. It would be a smoother transition and you would also not have to start from scratch! Another thing is, getting papers published is probably more important than research. If you can at least get one paper published in an international journal of your chosen career, that's more highly regarded. Research is good once you're already near to being a consultant. (Just a little tip!) Research, Audits, teaching, paper publishing,Psychotherapy (in psych) are all very good on your cv.

I know there are many people on here and other sites who are frustrated but also competitive... Having one less person to contend with helps them be one step closer to their goal.
You have the PR status so go for it! What have you to lose? Yes everyone is highlighting the challenges...but what will you say if 20 years from now, you never gave yourself this chance?

Don't live in regret...ever!

Last edited:
Kurdis,

The more I read, listen and ponder, I would suggest this....go for it with a plan B.:)
I know of many students who were in my class, below me and above my year, who are now working in ON. It just happens that 4 who come to mind were Canadian IMGs, but recently I saw two girls who were Jordanian but schooled in the same college and made it into Canada. I also know of a guy who was from Iraq and he's in Vancouver for the last 3 years. He also was from the same college. So why can't you be one of the hopefuls? Some worked before...some didn't.

RCSI is a very good college and well recognized in Canada. If you are single, better yet because you can work in other provinces and eventually work yourself to live in ON. It really is a matter of TRYING! You are still young so why not? You can always work in Bahrain, UK, Ireland,etc if all else fails!

People seem to regard Canada as their last golden ticket to life. Let's be practical - it's a choice to move there and not the only option for a good livelihood in the developed world. I am aware of the challenges people face when non-EU but immigration issues are equally as huge in Canada. Many of the migrants were top professionals in their nations seeking a better life. Sadly many end up in low key working jobs/environments. I don't think it's always about racism, I think it's based on approval of standards. This is the case faced by many people who would be from developing countries. Sad but true.

So where does it leave you? Take heed of the costs to apply to physiciansapply.ca and carms.ca. If you want to give yourself a go at being matched, try it. If you do get in, also take note of some positions which get you to pay for your first year. Also, return of service contracts. If that's not for you, look to work in a country like the UK to do your training and exams. Review the RCPSC regularly to see whether the regulations for working/accredited jurisdictions change. Go to Canada once or twice a year to retain your PR. Once your training is complete, then move to Canada. It would be a smoother transition and you would also not have to start from scratch! Another thing is, getting papers published is probably more important than research. If you can at least get one paper published in an international journal of your chosen career, that's more highly regarded. Research is good once you're already near to being a consultant. (Just a little tip!) Research, Audits, teaching, paper publishing,Psychotherapy (in psych) are all very good on your cv.

I know there are many people on here and other sites who are frustrated but also competitive... Having one less person to contend with helps them be one step closer to their goal.
You have the PR status so go for it! What have you to lose? Yes everyone is highlighting the challenges...but what will you say if 20 years from now, you never gave yourself this chance?

Don't live in regret...ever!

This is mostly projection. The reality is most people here are not competing with each other. To really be competing you have to be applying in the same year, applying to the same specialty, at the same schools and have similar stats and background.