Another Interview, but..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huk1985

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was getting wary because I had only 1 pre-december interview with NYU so far, but I got one from Pitt couple of hours ago, so that's really encouraging. However, Michigan (my alma mater and my 1st choice and most importantly in-state tution) is not inviting me, which is really disappointing, looking at predents.com it seems they are filled up to mid-november. Anybody know anything that I lack greatly that Michigan's not inviting me. Because I've heard from friend they prefer students from Michigan. I don't have extensive lab experience but I have some, do you think lab experience is that important in Michigan?

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan is a world class research institution, and during the interview day they kept reminding us. The are in the top 3 of NIH and NIDCR funding, at the top with UCSF, University of Washington, and UNC. They gave us a 1 hour presentation trying to convince us to do a DDS/PhD or a DDS/MS.

They never asked me about my research, but I believe that it helped me get the interview. I have five research experiences. That may be the missing piece.. Then again, Pitt and NYU are also big on research and they invited you, so a Mich interview is definitely a distict possibility in future!

Michigan is a world class research institution, and during the interview day they kept reminding us. The are in the top 3 of NIH and NIDCR funding, at the top with UCSF, University of Washington, and UNC. They gave us a 1 hour presentation trying to convince us to do a DDS/PhD or a DDS/MS.

They never asked me about my research, but I believe that it helped me get the interview. I have five research experiences. That may be the missing piece.. Then again, Pitt and NYU are also big on research and they invited you, so a Mich interview is definitely a distict possibility in future!
Have you, or anyone else considered either?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you, or anyone else considered either?

Me or OP? I considered it, but it's not really for me. A lot of other people at the interview seemed interested though. For out-of-state, Michigan is ridiculously expensive and they know it, so they provide all the information for DDS/PhD & Army/Navy/AF HSPC to fund it.

I was getting wary because I had only 1 pre-december interview with NYU so far, but I got one from Pitt couple of hours ago, so that's really encouraging. However, Michigan (my alma mater and my 1st choice and most importantly in-state tution) is not inviting me, which is really disappointing, looking at predents.com it seems they are filled up to mid-november. Anybody know anything that I lack greatly that Michigan's not inviting me. Because I've heard from friend they prefer students from Michigan. I don't have extensive lab experience but I have some, do you think lab experience is that important in Michigan?

hey I am a current undergrad student from michigan. But I still haven't heard from them, either. You should be happy with two interviews:thumbup: and keep praying for the good news from Michigan.

Good Luck!

it's so weird how the majority of invites for michigan are from out of state.

Hopefully us Mich. residents can get some love too.. kk

Yea, they got to show us some love, too. Hopefully you guys get the interview as well as I do.

I just got an invite today, but im schedule for oct 17. So i'm guessing that doesnt mean that up to nov is full? I'm not sure

I too am a Michigan student and have not heard from them yet.. and I DO HAVE RESEARCH! I really think they dont prefer their own residents, either that or they want to make us squirm lol.

where can you find this statistic?

Michigan has eight total visit and interview sessions they are essentially only at the halfway point of invites. I assume that as your alma mater, you have spoken at least once with someone in the admissions office, try giving them a call or email and ask for the current state of your application file.

it's so weird how the majority of invites for michigan are from out of state.

Hopefully us Mich. residents can get some love too.. kk

I too am a Michigan student and have not heard from them yet.. and I DO HAVE RESEARCH! I really think they dont prefer their own residents, either that or they want to make us squirm lol.

Michigan interviews ~36 applicants per date, which if they have filled all 4 dates listed on Predents totals 144 slots. With only 40 slots listed on Predents it is not realistic to use their stats to judge interview invites. That being said they do tend to interview more out of state applicants, but they still maintain classes ~60% in-state students.

I remember hearing that Michigan invites a lot of out of staters for their first few dates. I also heard that it was because Ann Arbor looks a ton better in the fall than later on (which is certainly true), which may help persuade out of staters to like Michigan a little bit better (and since the native Michiganders already know how crappy the winter is, they can go a little later?). Don't know if there's any truth in that rumor though :laugh:. I interviewed on the first day last year and there did appear to be a lot of out of staters, so who knows? Good luck to everyone though and keep up your hopes!

That is absolutely true, I would not come to Ann Arbor if I came on one of those snowy days, especially if I was from Cali..

I remember hearing that Michigan invites a lot of out of staters for their first few dates. I also heard that it was because Ann Arbor looks a ton better in the fall than later on (which is certainly true), which may help persuade out of staters to like Michigan a little bit better (and since the native Michiganders already know how crappy the winter is, they can go a little later?). Don't know if there's any truth in that rumor though :laugh:. I interviewed on the first day last year and there did appear to be a lot of out of staters, so who knows? Good luck to everyone though and keep up your hopes!
I don't know if Michigan has to worry about looking better at any particular time of the year. I would think that with the limited number of accepted students at any dental school they will not have to be concerned about wooing students. I have an interview w/Michigan in October, I live in Michigan, but I'm not the strongest candidate (20/20/20, dental assistant, no research, a lot of volunteer hours, but not in area of dentistry), and will be thrilled if they take me. I think my chances are not nearly as good as some of those being interviewed...I'm praying it goes well.:scared: