Accepted to Dental School but Waitlisted at Another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D12023

Reaction score
I am currently about to start dental school but I can't stop thinking about the possibility of attending another school I have been waitlisted on for about 3 months now. I did send un updated email and figured I would give some time for people to drop their seats since the month of March-May has a lot of movement for dental schools. Now that we're in June, I am thinking of sending the school a LOI or trying to speak with an admissions officer directly. My only concern is, do I mention the school I have been accepted at and gave my deposit to? And if I don't, wont they be able to still see this on my application? I am trying to find a way to say that although I have been accepted school X, I prefer to attend school Y (waitlisted school). Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call tbh. You could try to talk to admissions and see but, the class is most definitely full and there isn't a guarantee that you're going to get accepted even if someone drops their seat if someone is higher up on the list than you. You've at least got an acceptance, I wouldn't play with the fire too much.

I'm unsure if the school would see your acceptance, if anything it might be after accepting you. Which I'm certain the school would give you very minimal time to send your deposit over and withdrawl yourself from the other school.

I would call and speak to admissions if anything and ask, the worst they can say is no and there's your answer.

But dental school is dental school, in the end we all get the same degree. Hopefully, you have your answer soon. Good luck!

Schools cannot see where you have accepted an offer in the AADSAS portal. What is your compelling reason to attend waitlisted school Y?? I suppose it doesn't hurt for you to send an LOI (especially if you haven't before). You do want to know if you have a chance to get an offer from Y (and if they would tell you). But I would start packing for X.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tough call tbh. You could try to talk to admissions and see but, the class is most definitely full and there isn't a guarantee that you're going to get accepted even if someone drops their seat if someone is higher up on the list than you. You've at least got an acceptance, I wouldn't play with the fire too much.

I'm unsure if the school would see your acceptance, if anything it might be after accepting you. Which I'm certain the school would give you very minimal time to send your deposit over and withdrawl yourself from the other school.

I would call and speak to admissions if anything and ask, the worst they can say is no and there's your answer.

But dental school is dental school, in the end we all get the same degree. Hopefully, you have your answer soon. Good luck!

Yes, but one can leave you with 600k+ debt(I.e USC/NYU) and the other with 300k(I.e Texas/UMKC).

The waitlist is not ranked, therefore I'm thinking if I do send an LOI It may be beneficial if someone does decide to drop their seat.

They don’t have a spot for you. It’s impossibly unlikely that you will get a seat in the other school. Sending a letter isn’t going to help anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, but one can leave you with 600k+ debt(I.e USC/NYU) and the other with 300k(I.e Texas/UMKC).
A great point, but usually that only works if you get into 2 or more schools. You're waitlisted, and the chances are extremely slim to none. I'm just trying to help you see it one way. But yes, getting into a cheaper school is definitely different on your debt load. Still, wouldn't hurt to try if that's something you really want to do. You'd just have to be completely ready to drop everything and go if they give you that opportunity.

For pre dents applying, please use this thread as an opportunity to choose your school list wisely. Everyone wants to mass apply to schools, but when it's all said and done, is the school that costs 600k pre interest worth the DDS? Only apply to schools you absolutely would attend. Save yourselves the hundred bucks its costs per application, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars you would be faced with if you apply to one of the expensive programs that you used as a last resort option.

Reactions: 1 users
For pre dents applying, please use this thread as an opportunity to choose your school list wisely. Everyone wants to mass apply to schools, but when it's all said and done, is the school that costs 600k pre interest worth the DDS? Only apply to schools you absolutely would attend. Save yourselves the hundred bucks its costs per application, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars you would be faced with if you apply to one of the expensive programs that you used as a last resort option.
couldn't have said it any better, wish I held myself to a firmer stance of "Whould I actually attend if this was the only program I got into?" And the answer would have been no to a couple of schools I applied to, and I got in. Thankfully I applied to a couple cheaper schools and got into them as well, saving me about 250k in tuition!

Honestly, when you don't have competitive stats and you're super stressed about the thought of being accepted, any school/program sounds amazing. I am not a traditional student. I did a master's degree to better my chances and risked a lot by applying in late december. When I was applying, my main question wasn't about the program or tuition, but rather if I am going to get accepted to any of the programs still taking applications. I am currently waitlisted at a school with similar tuition costs, but I know I will come out with less debt due to big difference in living expense.

Reactions: 2 users