Another LOR question - lecturer vs. professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptosis123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm lining up some nonscience classes for winter quarter to get my nonscience LOR and had question. I looked up the teacher for one of my classes and found out his title at the university is lecturer, not professor. He has a doctorate level degree. Is the fact that he is not an actual professor make him ineligible for satisfying my nonscience LOR? Most medical school's written requirements refer to professors, but I wasn't sure how strict they are on this...

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, lecturers are just affiliated with certain classes with the universities while professors may be involved with research or other things. For LOR purpose, a letter from either a lecturer or professor is fine. Adcoms will not question the validity of a letter just because a "lecturer" wrote it. As long as it's a strong letter that demonstrates you are a good candidate for med school, that's a good LOR.

All things equal, a professor's letter will carry more weight than a lecturer's. However, it's always better to have a strong letter from a lecturer than a mediocre one from a well-known prof.